Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hoping some experience could help us. We're looking at 2016-2019 Sportages but can't really decide on engine. We do mixed driving with long and short journeys so both have merit from that perspective but can anyone shed any light from an owners perspective?

I've driven the 1.7 diesel and turbo petrol one. I thought the diesel would feel really sluggish but didn't at all and the petrol one felt quite quick but not as refined but I've only done short test drives.

At first we were looking at GT line which has the nice leather etc but then I saw the 4 which gets the sunroof and JBL but seems to cost a good deal more but the only slight changes in spec are annoying me! Any opinions? This forum has already helped massively with apple carplay being 2017 onwards which I was told by two garages wasn't the case.

Thanks for any opinions

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
194 Posts
It's a big lump of car for petrol consumption. Guy in work bought a petrol and wants rid of it, but I don't have one, so maybe research that as he says it's about £80 to fill.
Check for other subtle differences like possible air conditioned seats as well as heated, possible heated steering wheel, possible blind spot mirrors and Cross traffic alert.
These are in my ceed, which aren't in trim below.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
214 Posts
2019 1.6 tgdi 4 awd 7 speed dct. Loads of toys and the fuel consumption depends on how you drive it. I've had mine 14 months and love it. Just driven back from Largs in Scotland (270 miles) well loaded at (ahem) motorway speeds and averaged 31.4mpg. Also on lpg (at Glasgow Morrison's price still 62.7p/ litre - local Morrison's is 72.7p/litre.)
4 insurance groups less than the GT line S, and same performance. Mine doesn't park itself or have an electric tailgate and some trim differences, but I care not!
If you want cheap motoring, get a pair of roller skates.;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the 1.6 non turbo petrol and get 40/50 mpg on the motorway.

I wouldn’t recommend the engine I do think it is a little underpowered but not enough to make me want to get shot of it. MPG as stated is heavily down to your right foot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Looking at the comments above do some have a power tail lift? It looked to me as though they all had the smart key functionality but then it also implied that all had apple car play which obviously isn't true. Is the boot just on the key? What's the smart function you can turn on?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Looking at the comments above do some have a power tail lift? It looked to me as though they all had the smart key functionality but then it also implied that all had apple car play which obviously isn't true. Is the boot just on the key? What's the smart function you can turn on?
I have a MY2017 KX4 which replaced a 2016 KX3 both manual 2l diesels, both AWD and would really only recommend the former.
The KIA way of 'speccing' the Sportage is a bit odd, you do get lots of really nice essentials/additions with the KX4. Not least the passenger seat is height adjustable. There are posts on here about this absurdity so do check them out. Also watch out for the notchy steering issue as it can be a real challenge getting dealers to sort it. I had this with the KX3 but so far no problem with the KX4.
The KX4 has many things that I thought I would never use but have thoroughly enjoyed having eg heated steering wheel, ventilated seats that are 10 way electrically adjustable for the driver (8 for the passenger, push button start and many more. Both models have heated rear seats! Compared with other makes Kia seem to offer a lot.
The real plus of the KX4 for me is the 182bhp which feels just right for this lump of a car. The KX3 had only 134bhp which was fine but always seemed to hold the car back when a bit of extra oomph was needed!
Fuel economy is not that impressive and I rarely get 40 MPG but it is massively better than what the petrol versions achieve from what I have read. I have found that servicing is quite expensive for what it entails and dealership quotes can vary significantly.
I have now had 4+ years of driving these cars and while they have many many positives had I been able to find a suitable Volvo XC60 or Toyota RAV at each of my purchasing points I think I would have been tempted.
As a final point my experience of the way KIA has completely failed to deal with the rattling sunroof in my KX4 undermined my confidence in what they call a '7 Year warranty' so Kia are not likely to feature when I next come to change cars!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,404 Posts
I can't pass comment on the engine, both the Sportage's I've owned had the 2 litre diesel engine and I've only driven the 1.6 TGDi for a short time. I was impressed with it's power, but my Scottish roots kicked in when I saw the fuel consumption figures.
As to trim levels, and this is purely my opinion, we had a KX-2 which had enough kit to keep us happy. Our GT-Line is slightly better spec, with the addition of leather heated seats, 19" wheels and a slightly larger media screen. But if I'm being honest, it's not worth the price difference, if we hadn't got a seriously good deal I wouldn't have bothered. I feel the same about the step between the GT-Line and the GT-Line S. The panoramic roof is a complete waste for me and I've never had heated steering wheel, so I don't miss it. The adjustable passenger seat would be nice.
The attached is the 2017 specs sheet that may be of help to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Should have mentioned that although I don't have the power tail lift somewhere on this forum I recollect seeing reports of it not opening predictably.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't pass comment on the engine, both the Sportage's I've owned had the 2 litre diesel engine and I've only driven the 1.6 TGDi for a short time. I was impressed with it's power, but my Scottish roots kicked in when I saw the fuel consumption figures.
As to trim levels, and this is purely my opinion, we had a KX-2 which had enough kit to keep us happy. Our GT-Line is slightly better spec, with the addition of leather heated seats, 19" wheels and a slightly larger media screen. But if I'm being honest, it's not worth the price difference, if we hadn't got a seriously good deal I wouldn't have bothered. I feel the same about the step between the GT-Line and the GT-Line S. The panoramic roof is a complete waste for me and I've never had heated steering wheel, so I don't miss it. The adjustable passenger seat would be nice.
The attached is the 2017 specs sheet that may be of help to you.
Agree totally that the panoramic roof is a complete waste and of no practical benefit but the heated steering wheel is something else entirely!

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
91 Posts
Had my GT Line S TGDi for just over a year, used the panoramic sunroof quite a lot. Often nice to just slide the shade back and get the extra light into the cabin or use the tilt function.
Heated steering wheel is a very good addition and wouldn't have a car without it now. Had no problems with the powered boot, very handy to open automatically when I stand behind the car with the key in my bag or pocket.
Obviously fuel consumption isn't very good but that doesn't bother me although I have had a displayed 40mpg on a long motorway journey. I knew the score when I bought the car but had previously had a diesel with DPF issues so that was a definite no.
Performance wise, normal mode and the car plods along. Press the sport button and the car changes, accelerating swiftly and a much more sporty drive. Although the mpg takes a hammering, but hey ho, life's short.

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6t petrol. 174bhp
11 Posts
I have only just purchased a 2019 gt-line 1.6t and it doesn't have the sun roof or heated steering wheel. I never used the sun roof in my last vehicle and never had one with a toastie wheel.

I went for petrol because I only do 70miles a week so wasn't fussed with the mpg.

it's a lovely car, has the room, comfort and gadgets i need, so at the moment i cannot fault it.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
496 Posts
I have the GT Line S. I totally disagree with the comments about the sunroof being a waste of time. Not only does it make the interior more airy, but I regularly open the roof to tilt to allow a bit of fresh air in and in the summer when I have my dog in the car, it's an absolute godsend to be able to roll it back when parked to stop the car becoming a cooker inside.

The power tailgate I'm less bothered about but it seems you don't get one without the other.

If going GT Line S I would suggest hunting out an earlier 2016-2017 model which has the lighter leather interior as the later ones have black leather which is quite oppressive and also gets very hot in the summer.

I have the 1.6T petrol - it's not great on fuel, but is the only engine I found which provides any semblance of "acceleration"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for all the feedback. Really appreciate people's time. How common is the sunroof rattle? I've read about it but can't fathom fully how likely it is to happen!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Thanks so much for all the feedback. Really appreciate people's time. How common is the sunroof rattle? I've read about it but can't fathom fully how likely it is to happen!
I have had the rattle since I bought it (9 months old) - get used to the noise but it’s there and doesn’t go away for me but isn’t really an issue. However I believe others haven’t had the rattle but how common it is I don’t know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts