Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at buying a 6 month old Soul Echo, in white. Its not an ex demo, the owner is moving abroad and the dealer bought it back. It has covered 4000 miles and is up for £13995. I have driven the car and it seems to drive very well. I have read plenty of posts on here about the fuel consumption of the 1.6 CRDi and possible issues with the gearbox.

would I be wasting my money buying a Soul or do I put the cash on the table?

Regards.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The Soul is a great car, the Echo is an exellent choice and fuel consumption is around mid 40s for the diesel.The gearbox is a bit agricultral to use but fine if you don't rush it, its not a sports car does have a few niggles but what car does'nt and with the 7 year warranty you are more than well covered. Push the dealer to give you a full 7 year warranty with it, you will love it ,best of luck.I have a Tempest bought from new last March with 20k on it now and its great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping for better MPG as my current car (1.4 Nissan Note) returns at least 50-52 on a normal day.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you drive the diesel like a grandma, you will just about get 52mpg out of it..... if you dont die of boredom first. The Echo is a nicely specced car, far more distinctive than a Note.. though probably not quite as big inside. The Soul is big for passengers but poor for luggage, the Note does well for both. The Soul is lovely inside, the Note has a particularly dull dash panel. (My shortlist came down to the Soul, Note and the Roomster). The warranty and looks of the Soul won my day. See the owners gallery for our cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My advice is test drive at least two and see how the gear box behaves. In fact I wish I bought second hand now as my brand new gear box is sh*t, after driving a test vehicle that felt ok. It certainly looks like there are real issues with this gearbox and this is the last thing I wanted after 6 years trouble free Nissan motoring. I have been told it will settle down, but I honestly cant see how it will? It feels worse as time goes on, not better. The car is great, the gearbox is crap.

·
Registered
34 Posts
had my burner for 8 months from new now and no complaints at all.
coming from a 4ltr the 40mpg round town and the 50+ on distance is good.
car is good inside and out also for a 1.6d it can shift if you want it to.
i'd say get it but in the end make sure its what you want,in the end its you thats paying for it.

a pic from a trip i went on last week lol

that was on motorway flatish slight up hill if anything lol

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
The gear change is still a bit clunky on my 20k 14 month Tempest but I have found that unless the clutch pedal is pressed into the carpet it is still dragging a little. The gear change is a little bit agricultral compared to some cars, on the two seater I had the gear change was short and sharp but the Soul is what it is, it's a type of cross over and to be fair the whole vehicle is designed to be a little agricultral in some ways as part of the charm. It is a pretend 4wd I suppose but whatever it is it's a cracking car and I can forgive some of the shortcomings it has.I have the Tempest with 18" wheels which to be fair do not give the best ride but again I am willing to accept that it's a compromise between looks and stubstance.Enjoy the car and forget about the gear change ,it will get better but if you have it in your mind all the time you will lose the rest of the good parts of the Soul.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dave,
Cheers for your comments and perhaps in 20 months I may feel like you mate. I too really like the car, but dont think that we should be making excuses for poor design here should we? Modern gearboxes should not crunch or clunk or catch between gears if 1. The clutch is working properly or 2. the GB is designed to allow gears to move in and out of gear smoothly and cleanly. I cant remember any car that I have driven in the last two decades with a gearbox that crunches unless ultra care is taken on how you move the gear shift. Yes if I'm careful I can get a decent gear change if I time it right and move the shift very slowly forward, but this is a brand new 14k car FFS. I'm not sure where agriculture come into this, but I'm damn sure Kia will not be making the same design shortcomings on the new 6 speed box on the MY12 model do you?
I certainly wont be selling the car just yet as like you I am still charmed by the little beast,stone chips and all!
Cheers

·
Registered
309 Posts
My Tempestwas ex demo , had under 4K on the clock . got a few freebies thrown in & saved myself a couple of grand , not waiting for the new one . Mines a 2011 model but registered in October 2010. Ive done about 2K since I got it at the end of Jan & still have a grin on my face .

Mines a manual Diesel & I get over 450 miles out of a tank & the MPG changes depending on how I drive , but its around 45 - 52 MPG mark .

Ive to do a few bits to protect it , had bonnet & lower sides of doors & sill covered in paint guard , but love the motor . Ive not had any issues with gear changes to shout about & love the amount of bits out there to personalise it with .

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The Soul is a good car. Other cars have good bits and bad bits, some are ugly, some are noisy, some handle badly. The Souls downside is a clonky gearbox and a poor ride on the big wheels. The looks, neat interior, passenger space, stereo system etc all make up for it.

If a car was perfect in every respect - it would be totally bland... the Soul has character through its odd foibles. The gearchange issue will improve with age - but if its as bad as the owner says - it needs addressing sooner rather than later.

If this owners meet happens - i look forward to a ride in the car and lets see if with our backing we can get this gearbox issue addressed.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Spoke to a guy today with a soul 2 who exchanged a Ce-ed for it and said the Ce-ed gearbox was clunky just like the Soul.I have had mine for 14 months and I am used to it now,my remark about the agricultral aspect of the car was compare it with a industrial gearbox such as you have on a lorry. It's a good car ,the handling is exellent for that type of car and for the price ,apart from the clunky gb, it's great. I think that the gearbox is probably a bit heavy for the job ,maybe the 6 speed when it appears will be made to suit the car rather than something a bit bigger like a truck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a long, long time thinking we have finally decided not to go for a Soul. Looks like we are going to have a new Rio instead

·
Registered
283 Posts
The Rio is a nice car. Show us some pics when you get it!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Saw the Rio in the tin for the first time the other day it's a very nice car , still like my Soul for it's quirky design but you will not go far wrong with the Rio.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts