Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , looking at buying a Ceed 1.6 diesel 2018 18k miles approx, any advice, things to check or worry about.
how have current owners found their 1.6 diesels mpg and reliability, and general ownership.
thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Ceed is approaching eight years old and has proved to be extremely reliable and a joy to own. Economy is always north of 50 mpg from fill to fill and can top 70 on a long run. I've had 78mpg on a run from Dorset to Essex at legal motorway speeds and similar up to the Lake District.

Faults have been few....
  • flickering DRLs, replaced under warranty;
  • worn boot release rubber cover, replaced under warranty;
  • my short daily journeys mean that the battery never has sufficient charge for ISG to function.

The car is basically as good as new and cheap to run. Total running costs to date have been under £1,000 per annum. In fact, with the original purchase price included I think I am yet to spend £20k in total including servicing, MOTs, fuel and insurance. VED remains at £0 per annum since day one.

My next vehicle will be full electric, but I am in no hurry to replace my Ceed while it continues to perform so perfectly and so cheaply. It's a bargain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tdodd, good to here you had such a good experience . How are the dealer cost for servicing. And how easy were the warranty claims, some other manufacturers dealers are charging to diagnose the fault to then make the claim to the manufacture with their extended warranty schemes the diagnostic cost can be quite high. Does Kia operate this way.
thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if you have the new or old shape as a 2018 because I think they changed that year but I had a 2017 C'eed GT Line S 1.6 automatic diesel from new and only just changed it for a Kia Stinger GTS.

It was without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. Owned it from new with 200 miles on it and I did 65k miles in 3 and a half years. I believe flickering DRL's were on cars before 2016 and are fixed now but regardless, are fixed under warranty and my car had no issue with these.

Regarding charging for diagnostics I am not sure. I had two warranty claims with no fuss on mine that both got fixed at the same time. I explained the problem over the phone, booked it in and they confirmed the fault and fixed it. There is a chance if it was not a warranty issue they could have charged me but I did not ask and it never came up. First was that the keyless entry antenna for the boot stopped working. Hardly a big deal and I left this for nearly a year before taking it in. Second was the camera that picks up the lines for the lane departure warning stopped working after 3 years. Luckily it did this two weeks before I was due my third service so they ordered in the parts ready for it.

As I did around 18k miles a year with regular long motorway journeys I never had any DPF issues as these are known to clog (across all manufactures) if not doing long journeys. Always consider this if getting a diesel and you do short journeys. They are a waste of time if town driving.

The stop and go (ISG) on Kia's is a waste of time. I would do a 300 mile around trip in a day and it somehow still not be charged enough for it to kick in! If you leave the car for more than 3 days and it was charged and working before, no chance it will work after sitting for 3 days. Don't worry about, it is not a fault, the stop and go on Kia's are just terrible and my only gripe with them. My wife's BMW 1 series does a 5th of the mileage I do and works every time without fail and turns the engine back on instantly when coming off the brake. The Kia needs an extra half second to turn back on.

Servicing if doing high mileage was every 12 months or 2r0k miles. Each service cost me around £190 from memory and this is a major service due to mileage. The third year with the MOT (which passed) was £230ish. Very cheap compared to other makers.

Rear tyres (Hankook) on this were unbelievable. I still had 3mm on them after 64k miles and still not changed. The front tyres lasted me 30k miles both times. First set were Hankook and second set were Dunlop. I changed at 59k miles to Michelin Primacy 4 to test whether they really do last longer for the premium you spend but I came across a deal on the Stinger that I could not pass up on so I will never find out and only stuck 6k miles on them!

I had the front discs and pads changed at 45k miles (£260) and the rear discs and pads changed at 35k miles. Cannot remember the cost of the rears.

I have always tracked every single fill up and work it out with a proper brim to brim fuel tank to get true mpg. Maybe it was because mine is an automatic but I never ever once got remotely close to the claimed economy and nothing like the reply above. I regularly used to do Nottingham to Essex which is145 miles each way. Sat on cruise control at 70/75 and many instances that were through roadworks at 50 I never got more than 55mpg. My average over 64k miles was 49.5mpg with the trip computer actually recorded lower at 46.2mpg. My previous Ford Focus 1.6 diesel used to get 55-58mpg and a Peugeot 208 1.6 diesel used to get 60-65mpg.They were both manual and I suspect the 7 speed automatic on the Kia is a lot more thirsty for a diesel which on papers makes no sense as it changes gears smoother than you can and has an extra gear to bring the revs down on the motorway!?

My Stinger GTS is a 3.3l petrol that is averaging 29mpg at the moment and that is with long motorway runs. Around town it is 16-23mpg and shocking on fuel haha. Dreaming of 49.5mpg now! Last bit of fun before I inevitably go electric in 3-5 years. The Kia e-Niro would be perfect for me now but the petrolhead in me wants one last hurrah.

I highly recommend the Ceed and if I didn't listen to my heart to get something fast, loud and petrol for the last time I would have run this to 100k miles and beyond and I from my experience would have still thrown up no major faults and cost minimal in maintenance. I had absolutely no quibbles or plans to get rid of it at all and do kinda regret it but then I floor it in the Stinger and forget all about it haha.

If you are new to Kia they are a great brand. Much better value and tech than the rivals and that warranty is the best in the business.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had a series 1 Ceed 2008 and got 293k miles out of it best car I have ever owned. I now have a 2016 Ceed and have to agree with goatwidcoat I cannot get near the claimed 78 mpg more like 56mpg.
Hankook tyres are bloody noisy over 60mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Goatwidcoat, that’s great informatiom, the Ceed we are looking at is the old shape, I hope it’s gives as good a service to my daughter as you experienced with you Ceed.
Ratboiler great names both you guys any reason? Did you find your car particular noisy with the previous tyres. Road noise was quite loud on an initial test drive I did think?
thanks for your input.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks Tdodd, good to here you had such a good experience . How are the dealer cost for servicing. And how easy were the warranty claims, some other manufacturers dealers are charging to diagnose the fault to then make the claim to the manufacture with their extended warranty schemes the diagnostic cost can be quite high. Does Kia operate this way.
thanks
When I bought the car I opted for the five year service plan for £629 (I think) at the time. The sixth service was around £300 at a main dealer and the seventh was around £80, again at a main dealer. MOTs have been performed with the service at £35 each time.

No trouble at all with claiming for the flickering lights, but a two week delay for parts from Korea. They grumbled a bit about the boot rubber, but sorted it without charge nonetheless. Next service is due in a month and I'll take it back to the same main dealer again. (Kia Lakeside, Essex)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news from you all, sounds like the Ceed should be a good little car for my daughter.
you just never know with diesels these days they are so complicated to meet the emissions requirements, I not had anything to to with Kia diesels nor anyone I know.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Update on service costs, since I booked mine in yesterday for service next month with a different main dealer. The online booking system gives menu pricing....

Screenshot_20201117-082615_Brave.jpg

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would always ensure Kia main dealer serving, and always check further back in the service book to ensure the corrosion inspection section is stamped up, my 2016 wasn't but got quickly sorted while I waited.
The reason being, on my old Ceed I took it in after 8 years for rust on the rear doors, which were both replaced without a problem, after inspecting all the corrosion stamps were in place.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure if you have the new or old shape as a 2018 because I think they changed that year but I had a 2017 C'eed GT Line S 1.6 automatic diesel from new and only just changed it for a Kia Stinger GTS.

It was without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. Owned it from new with 200 miles on it and I did 65k miles in 3 and a half years. I believe flickering DRL's were on cars before 2016 and are fixed now but regardless, are fixed under warranty and my car had no issue with these.

Regarding charging for diagnostics I am not sure. I had two warranty claims with no fuss on mine that both got fixed at the same time. I explained the problem over the phone, booked it in and they confirmed the fault and fixed it. There is a chance if it was not a warranty issue they could have charged me but I did not ask and it never came up. First was that the keyless entry antenna for the boot stopped working. Hardly a big deal and I left this for nearly a year before taking it in. Second was the camera that picks up the lines for the lane departure warning stopped working after 3 years. Luckily it did this two weeks before I was due my third service so they ordered in the parts ready for it.

As I did around 18k miles a year with regular long motorway journeys I never had any DPF issues as these are known to clog (across all manufactures) if not doing long journeys. Always consider this if getting a diesel and you do short journeys. They are a waste of time if town driving.

The stop and go (ISG) on Kia's is a waste of time. I would do a 300 mile around trip in a day and it somehow still not be charged enough for it to kick in! If you leave the car for more than 3 days and it was charged and working before, no chance it will work after sitting for 3 days. Don't worry about, it is not a fault, the stop and go on Kia's are just terrible and my only gripe with them. My wife's BMW 1 series does a 5th of the mileage I do and works every time without fail and turns the engine back on instantly when coming off the brake. The Kia needs an extra half second to turn back on.

Servicing if doing high mileage was every 12 months or 40k miles. Each service cost me around £190 from memory and this is a major service due to mileage. The third year with the MOT (which passed) was £230ish. Very cheap compared to other makers.

Rear tyres (Hankook) on this were unbelievable. I still had 3mm on them after 64k miles and still not changed. The front tyres lasted me 30k miles both times. First set were Hankook and second set were Dunlop. I changed at 59k miles to Michelin Primacy 4 to test whether they really do last longer for the premium you spend but I came across a deal on the Stinger that I could not pass up on so I will never find out and only stuck 6k miles on them!

I had the front discs and pads changed at 45k miles (£260) and the rear discs and pads changed at 35k miles. Cannot remember the cost of the rears.

I have always tracked every single fill up and work it out with a proper brim to brim fuel tank to get true mpg. Maybe it was because mine is an automatic but I never ever once got remotely close to the claimed economy and nothing like the reply above. I regularly used to do Nottingham to Essex which is145 miles each way. Sat on cruise control at 70/75 and many instances that were through roadworks at 50 I never got more than 55mpg. My average over 64k miles was 49.5mpg with the trip computer actually recorded lower at 46.2mpg. My previous Ford Focus 1.6 diesel used to get 55-58mpg and a Peugeot 208 1.6 diesel used to get 60-65mpg.They were both manual and I suspect the 7 speed automatic on the Kia is a lot more thirsty for a diesel which on papers makes no sense as it changes gears smoother than you can and has an extra gear to bring the revs down on the motorway!?

My Stinger GTS is a 3.3l petrol that is averaging 29mpg at the moment and that is with long motorway runs. Around town it is 16-23mpg and shocking on fuel haha. Dreaming of 49.5mpg now! Last bit of fun before I inevitably go electric in 3-5 years. The Kia e-Niro would be perfect for me now but the petrolhead in me wants one last hurrah.

I highly recommend the Ceed and if I didn't listen to my heart to get something fast, loud and petrol for the last time I would have run this to 100k miles and beyond and I from my experience would have still thrown up no major faults and cost minimal in maintenance. I had absolutely no quibbles or plans to get rid of it at all and do kinda regret it but then I floor it in the Stinger and forget all about it haha.

If you are new to Kia they are a great brand. Much better value and tech than the rivals and that warranty is the best in the business.
This message says it all, I can only agree

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well have taken the plunge and collect the Ceed 1.6 diesel 2 2018 with 18k in metallic white. Hopefully it will serve my daughter well. Dealer was pretty good Bells in Northampton

1 - 12 of 12 Posts