Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of Lockdown I took the Sportage for its first essential journey for months this morning. Entered my destination into the Nav and waited. Nothing. Totally reluctant to plot a route.

Repeated attempts met the same result. Eventually in frustration I performed a Reset on the head unit, and immediate success. After weeks of not going anywhere it seems the built-in SIM was reluctant to connect to the outside world, but a quick Reset put everything back in order again.

Not sure which trims this might apply to but it worked for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
@Alanw47 I am pleased to report that my March 2020 car does not have a SIM to worry about. I think it may apply to what Kia refer to as MY21 cars, although I've never sussed how to work out when a car becomes an MY21. :unsure:

·
Registered
317 Posts
@Alanw47 I am pleased to report that my March 2020 car does not have a SIM to worry about. I think it may apply to what Kia refer to as MY21 cars, although I've never sussed how to work out when a car becomes an MY21. :unsure:
I'm just wondering if he means a SD Card rather than a SIM. Kia maps are held on the SD Card and could have been an issue with the head unit accessing the card after a long lay off. A reset would have resulted in the head unit doing full reboot of the system hopefully curing the issue as the maps now appear to work. The My21 range came out in the summer 2020, the difference being the head units now support UVO. If you have UVO in the menu then it's a MY2021 model.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just wondering if he means a SD Card rather than a SIM. Kia maps are held on the SD Card and could have been an issue with the head unit accessing the card after a long lay off. A reset would have resulted in the head unit doing full reboot of the system hopefully curing the issue as the maps now appear to work. The My21 range came out in the summer 2020, the difference being the head units now support UVO. If you have UVO in the menu then it's a MY2021 model.
The unit has UVO, and I mean a SIM card, not an SD card. That model has it's own wifi and does not need a hotspot, just a 4G signal. It does not have an SD card at all.

The head unit has its own IMEI number

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same issue with my MY2021 GT Line S the other day, I have been using mine regularly going to work, just seemed to be for that day, was fine the following day and has been since.

Paul...

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Not the 1st time someone has had this issue. Think with no usage it disconnects from mobile network & requires a reset to force the connection.
Hopefully something KIA will have a software update for so it auto looks to reconnect.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not the 1st time someone has had this issue. Think with no usage it disconnects from mobile network & requires a reset to force the connection.
Hopefully something KIA will have a software update for so it auto looks to reconnect.
Not the greatest problem in the world, just frustrating when it catches you out suddenly. Should it happen again, a Reset will be the first thing I try, but I agree, it should surely be fixable with a software update. Reconnected to the network immediately after the Reset.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is it a network connection problem, or has it lost track of the GPS satellites?
The satellites aren't geo-stationary, they move around in the sky. It can take a while to get a positioning fix if the car isn't used for a long time. If the car doesn't know where it currently is, it can't plot a route.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a network connection problem, or has it lost track of the GPS satellites?

The satellites aren't geo-stationary, they move around in the sky. It can take a while to get a positioning fix if the car isn't used for a long time. If the car doesn't know where it currently is, it can't plot a route.
I've been using satnavs of one kind or another for 15-20 years.

It was definitely a network problem. The satellites were tracking the location of the car across the map, but refused to plot any kind of route until I had performed a Reset.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah right. I've never used a satnav with a network connection.
The newer ones equipped with UVO don't require a Hotspot to be set up, they seem to have their own SIM card and data. The only data I use now is if I use Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Basic GPS Navigation should not need a network connection it's a receive only function.
There are network based enhancements that can speed up satellite acquisition and accuracy when the unit has been off for a long time and the ephemeris data is out of date or to get AGPS data for better accuracy. I'm not sure if the Kia units incorporate these though.

Plotting a route may require a network connection, or at least a delay while one is set up/looked for, as I believe the Kia nav unit can go off to the TomTom servers to retrieve latest road congestion/closure updates to calculate the most appropriate route. I'm guessing that if a Network connection cannot be found the unit will revert to a basic route calculation after a timeout. It's therefore quite possible that the unit can be busy setting up network connections, or not, before a route is presented, or that a reset of the Network communications is needed. Can't say I have witnessed this with my Stonic unit - but then that uses external HotSpot connection not on board SIM.

Most likely possibility is that, after being off for a while, the on board network connection unit has 'forgotten' which carrier network it connects to. In those circumstances it will sequentially poll all available networks, and ask for attachment permission.

This can take a long time if the first requests go to networks where it is barred. (those interested can spend three days reading the 3GPP Standards and Implementation notes for network attachment if you suffer insomnia!)

Resetting is doing the equivalent of switching to Aeroplane mode with your mobile then back to normal to gain your home network more quickly when you arrive back in the country after an OS trip (Oh the good 'ol days of International Travel!).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Basic GPS Navigation should not need a network connection it's a receive only function.
There are network based enhancements that can speed up satellite acquisition and accuracy when the unit has been off for a long time and the ephemeris data is out of date or to get AGPS data for better accuracy. I'm not sure if the Kia units incorporate these though.

Plotting a route may require a network connection, or at least a delay while one is set up/looked for, as I believe the Kia nav unit can go off to the TomTom servers to retrieve latest road congestion/closure updates to calculate the most appropriate route. I'm guessing that if a Network connection cannot be found the unit will revert to a basic route calculation after a timeout. It's therefore quite possible that the unit can be busy setting up network connections, or not, before a route is presented, or that a reset of the Network communications is needed. Can't say I have witnessed this with my Stonic unit - but then that uses external HotSpot connection not on board SIM.

Most likely possibility is that, after being off for a while, the on board network connection unit has 'forgotten' which carrier network it connects to. In those circumstances it will sequentially poll all available networks, and ask for attachment permission.

This can take a long time if the first requests go to networks where it is barred. (those interested can spend three days reading the 3GPP Standards and Implementation notes for network attachment if you suffer insomnia!)

Resetting is doing the equivalent of switching to Aeroplane mode with your mobile then back to normal to gain your home network more quickly when you arrive back in the country after an OS trip (Oh the good 'ol days of International Travel!).
I have been using this system for 5 months now, my experience is that when requesting a route UVO uses the network to offer a choice of routes affected by live traffic conditions etc. When it played up on Sunday it did not revert to basic route plotting, it simply gave up, and offered nothing. I'm assuming that the UVO equipped systems work slightly differently to the previous generation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts