Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Living with the Optima

5K views 35 replies 6 participants last post by  johnathan1 
#1 ·
i have started yet another topic up as i can update this one with bits about living with the optima,

i know a few people have been asking about real world figures for the diesel engine and im happy so far, to start with the instant MPG was reading mid to late 40s (mpg) but the average was saying just over 40, so i had to drive a 220 mile drive back to camp on sunday night so reset the average mpg and set off on my way

what i found is it slowly crept up to around 51mpg and carryed on slowly but not by much. this was all done in 6th gear and sat at the 70mph speed limit with CRUISE CONTROL on. i think i could possibly get the figures higher without using cruise control, but i was happy enough with 51mpg to be fair.

up to now my reading have been £90 of diesel and the trip computer has come out at 715 miles to empty

here is a photo as proof with the cruise control on

i will tell you another god send, during a 4 hour journey (220 miles) that i did, i switched the heated seat on the top heat level is too too hot but the second setting is just right, i always thought it would only heat the bottom part of the seat but i was wrong, it heats the bottom and the low end of the back which feels very nice on those long drives.

another thing i did notice is the handling, around town it is very light but when you gain higher speeds it stiffens up nicely, especially for long bends it feels good, another thing i noticed with the handling is it hardly has any body role, i could almost mistaken it for running racing coilovers its that composed. it also has a better turning circle than my old honda civic.

found other things too, like the rear view mirror (when its turned on) when night driving it auto dims the lights of drivers behind you so your not blinded which is pretty cool.

See less See more
#27 ·
I agree johnathan1, the only reason i'm considering parting with my FE is fuel economy, being semi retired i want a good size car plenty of toys and comfort but cheap as possible running costs, and for me the optima seems to tick the boxes and hopefully will be same quality as the sportage, seems the FE models are holding their value at the moment possibly because of the limited numbers of them, only about 850 produced. If i change i am as yetundecided which model to go for, i am even considering the 3 but i think its too expensive really,buti have decided on the colour though its gonna be white i saw one at the dealers it looks stunning.

#28 ·
Yes Kiaman-white is definitely a good colour with this car so you've made a good choice there if you decide to go ahead. Well I'm exactly like you-semi-retired lol and like you I have the FE and would not have parted with it if the Optima hadn't arrived but needs must and the fuel saving looks well proven as already evidenced by "Optima_Alex's" pics on this forum. I'm expecting a call any time possibly today or tomorrow re collecting the car but feel a tinge of regret parting with the FE. I wanted the "3" but just too expensive however, if this car lives up to my expectations I might just change it in about a years time while I still have some earning power and get the "3" in WHITE. I read someone was experiencing a hard ride in the Optima but I think its very subjective and you have to judge for yourself. In the USA this car is very popular and haven't read of any real diffs and I've scoured the internet on this in an obsessive way I can tell you.. Let me know what you decide to get and I'll post some pics as soon as I get mine which is in "Bright Silver" Regards Johnathan Belfast

#29 ·
Forgot to say Kiaman that I'm seriously thinking of getting the alternative Kia badge myself. Hey Optima_Alex-if you read this where exactly on E-Bay did you go for this ie who was the company you purchased it from. I've never bought anything on E-bay and for some reason feel a wee bit uncomfortable buying from there but if you tell me where you got yours from I think I'd be ok with it as I read you got yours in about 4wks right? Was it hard getting off the original badges and how did you do it? I was thinking of asking my dealership to do it but it'll incur cost I'm sure. Regards Johnathan,Belfast

#30 ·
reference the fuel, i wouldnt get your hopes up for at least 1000-2000 miles, my figures where rather random and low to start with but they soon picked up.

BADGE TUTORIAL
johnathan i have done some research for you and here is a how to guide from our brother optima owners in america reference badges and application

http://www.optimaforums.com/forum/7-optima-appearance-body-modifications/1459-rebadge-pictorial.html

VIDEO TUTORIAL
here is a better video to show you on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIxcQ_05TM

EBAY BADGES
also the badges you are talking about, here is a link, they took aprox 2 weeks to arrive for me but can take longer
<a href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-K-LOGO-Emblem-Badge-3pc-SET-Front-Grill-Rear-Trunk-Steering-fit-KIA-OPTIMA-/170724029137?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bff1f2d1" target="_blank">
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-K-LOGO-Emblem-Badge-3pc-SET-Front-Grill-Rear-Trunk-Steering-fit-KIA-OPTIMA-/170724029137?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bff1f2d1</a>

Edited by: Optima_alex

#33 ·
I'm still undecided at the moment johnathan, every time I decide to change I drive the sportage again and change my mind
, as i say i have at least decided on the colour if nothing else,the other thing i'mhaving to consider is towing my caravan with it, while the car will tow it no probs the towball weight limit is a bit low at 60kg and while i could probably get the caravan noseweight to this sort of figure it maymake the caravan a bit less stable. anyhowI hope you get yours soon, I will look forward to seeing the pics and reading your feedback on your new baby.

Edited by: kiaman

#34 ·
Hey Kiaman-the new optima arrived at the dealership last nite but I can't get it as its Good Friday and my ins company is closed. Next time I can get it won't be til next wed evening so they've locked her away in their compound til then but they say she looks stunning in bright silver so looking forward to getting this car soon now. I completely understand your ambivalence re parting with your FE but consider the fuel saving and thats what drove the decision for me. However I've only had my FE 18months and will certainly miss her but needs must. I'll post pics next week if its easy to do. Cheers Johnathan

#36 ·
You got it Alex-frustrated that I'm having to wait but wed will soon be upon us. I have a cunning plan-I might keep her for a short time (12months) then if I like her change to a "3" in white. Thing is I'm retired but only get a minimal pension so must work to supplement it-as long as theres work I'm good to go-I'm a psychiatric nurse btw.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.