<!-->

Hello

Can any one help me find out if my sorento has a LSD and if
so is it working. I've had one back wheel off the ground and I can turn it
freely. I then jacked both wheels up and when I turn one clockwise the other
turns anti clockwise. After getting bogged down a couple of times I've been in
touch with the dealer which sold me it before the warranty runs out and I would
like as much info as possible before he tries to baffle me with science. Before
I forget it's a 2005 crdi auto and it should have one, I think.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Dod

as far as I know the sorrento does not have LSD although the XS and XT models do have a TOD (Torque on demand) system when low ratio is selected - so best you get is one wheel driven on each axle - shameit would be a mutch better vehicle ifit haddiff lock option and could acheive true 4wd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I believe that you will have a limited slip diff. The specific model fitted should be an eaton posi locker, these units seem to be fairly well respected.

In eaton's own website's words:

"The Eaton Posi LSD prevents wheel slip before it can get started. To do that, carbon disc clutch packs, preloaded by a central spring assembly, are located behind each differential side gear. When torque input increases the clamping load on the clutch packs increases. That causes the chatter-free clutch packs to grab and transfer power to the other wheel.

Muscle cars, hot rods and mild off-road vehicles should look to Eaton's limited-slip differential for their traction answers. And the fact is, Eaton's Posi units are virtually bullet proof."

I think that this means that it would be practically impossible to get the unit to lock by doing what you are doing (spinning a wheel by hand). About the only viable test would be to find a situation where one rear tyre was on a surface with good traction and the other on a slippy surface and give it some welly, however that is fraught with its own problems - like potentially losing the car......orlunching the diff if it is not properly lubricated - or errr both.

The initial point before doing anything should involve at least checking the rear diff oil and preferably renewing it (rear axle needs to be raised 8"above front axle level in order to ensure that the full 1.6Ltr fill into the diff can be completed apparently)the diff oil should be grey due to the LS additives and a limited slip oil of the correct type should be used!

According to web sources these diffs were fitted to all uk spec cars up until a certain date maybe someone else can furnish the specific dates or vin numbers??

Perhaps googling "eaton posi" and tracking down "testing" methods or failure diagnostics would be a safer alternative.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help.

I'm pretty sure they did come with a rear lsd as standard in the UK, the kia dealer used lsd oil when they changed the oil. The reasonI ask about the diff is I got stuck on wet grass and had one wheel spinning while the other was still. This would seem to suggest either I don't have a lsd or it's faulty, I still don't know of a way to check it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hi

No experience with a Sorento or an Eaton diff but during the past 20 years or so I have had a variety of slippers on my race cars, ZF's, Quaiffes, Salisbury to name 3 and the all have had one thing in common, with both wheels off the floor both wheels turn in the same direction. With one wheel jacked up boththe ZF and Salisbury were nearimpossible to turn but the Quaiffe turns freely because of its unique design. The only diffs I have had that turn in the opposite direction when jack off the floor were standard free diffs.

Hope that helps.

Paul
Edited by: suttonseven

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I must admit after a bit of reading about lsd's I thought the same. Both wheels off the ground, turn one wheel cw and the other should also turn cw. That's the problem, I have a Sorento that should have a lsd but performs like it does not, ie turn one wheel cw and the other turns ccw, one wheel of the ground and it turns without resistance . It leaves me in a poor position when trying to convince the dealer I have a faulty lsd. Or it could be not all pre face lift sorentos were fitted with lsd's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

A bit of further research brought up the following:

http://...youtube.../watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

and also:

http://...offroaders.../tech/limited-slip-lockers-differentials.htm

General consensus seems to be that if you have a situation where 1 rear wheel has 100% grip and the other is on a totally slick surface a limited slip diff is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard - you'd need a locker.

suttonseven's point is also supported - in general with limited slip diffsboth wheels should turn in the same direction when jacked up and spun, I'll try and get mine (sorrie xs 04 manual) jacked up at the weekend and confirm.

There is also some discussion elsewhere about how to getthe posi LS diff clutches to 'bite' potentially by providing an additional torque loading on the rear axle via the handbrake (or footbrake), sounds like a recipe for ripped trousers or aknackered car to me

A locking diffmay sound like an attractive thing but in practice these have their own issues - my kubota tractor doesnt like cornering with the diff lock on at5 miles an hour - definately wouldn't likethe experience in a car at 50

So the LS diffis a compromise, and probably needs to be augmented by the selection of appropriate tyres that stand a chance of generatingsome grip - the aforementioned Kubota was invaluable when my previous car - a discovery 3 (with terrain response and locking rear diff) got totally stuck pulling a horesbox across a level paddock in only 1-2" of mud - goodyear wranglers just not up to it I'm afraid.....embarassing

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks
I had been told about loading the diff to get it to bite using the brake. I didn't fancy trying that, sounds like it could be dangerous, might scare the horses. Loading a lsd like this should not be necessary and makes it worthless for day to day driving. If you could try your car's diff and let me know how you get on that would be great.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello
I'm still to be convinced I have a lsd. This stuff about loading the diff with the brakes might be ok off road but I thought a lsd should stop one wheel spinning when pulling out of a junction a bit quick or driving out of a icy car park for example .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Simple answer is you do not have an LSD unless you fitted it . Kia did fit it to start with, very early models, had problems and took them out. the reson you had LSD oil is that is what is listed by Kia so the mechanic was technicaly correct. If you have an LSD then the wheels will turn the same way when turned by hand.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds right. I have convinced myself that I don't have one. It's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, it would be nice to have one, but all the bumf I read before buying had me believing it had one. There a lot of other people out there who think a lsd is fitted and continue to recommend lsd oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts