Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to fit 100w xenon bulbs instead of 55w halogen fitted at the moment. Can anybody tell me if I will have problems with wiring overheating, overheating of plastic headlamp or error message.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you're driving off road on private property only then. Not a KX3 then? I have used the standard extra K value bulbs from manufacturers various. They are all 55w but have a higher K value and you wont look like some souped up puggy 106 street cruiser. Sorry for rant but those super blue crappy upgrades have caused a number of accidents on my comuter route and i aint got no sympathy

·
Registered
536 Posts
I THINK! Xenons run cooler than halogens anyways...but that's only a guess. I'm fairly sure that the way the light is produced is different though and the lenses in the fitting might not be ideal, dark patches ect. If your going for any "mega super bright 2000% brighter halfords specials" maybe worth looking on there website. I've seen reviews on there from people saying there a waste of money and no brighter than the standard halogens. It's worth paying out for some top quality bulbs IF it is possiable to fit them mate. Like I say not 100% sure.

But like tractor boy said...if your going for the blue look...your only gona look a c**k. All boy racers should have "if it aint broke...dont fix it" stamped on there heads. Sorry but it's true. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If I were to change any bulbs it would be the cornering lights... they are totally useless.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It's odd because I actually find the cornering lights useful. They aren't super bright but good enough to make a difference if you live in an area without many street lamps.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Techno,
Had to get out and check that they were working - found them to have a dim orange light.
The other thing that doesn't help is the beam is hidden by the A piller.
I also drive down a lot of dark country roads.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There is a little white light under the headlight cluster that comes on while you are indicating when the headlights are on. It casts a modest glow over the area you are turning into.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sid Rumpo....Sorry, your description is somewhat lacking. The cornering lights are part of the outer section of the front foglamps. With the headlamps (dip or low beam) switched on the cornering lamp function will operate when the respective indicator is selected and the vehicle speed is below 25mph. If you look closely at the foglamps you will see that the bulb in the outer reflector points outward at about 45˚.

The light output is very yellow and the amount of light emitted is poor.
Does anyone know of a brighter / whiter bulb that would improve things?

·
Registered
28 Posts
jimbob 2919..... your intention to use 100W bulbs would make it illegal for road use and there would probably be a lot of light scatter which would make it hazardous for other road users and due to having no auto headlamp levelling would be further dangerous to road users

If you want improved lighting go for the 55w bulbs which offer improved whiter lighter from Philips or Osram offering an improvement of 80% or 90%. You will notice a marked improvement and still be legal and will not generate extra heat or at least not enough to cause a problem. But they won't last as long as the originals.

Although I have xenon low beams I had to upgrade the main beam to these 80% brighter bulbs as the original was inefective combined with the xenons.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks spiderman decided not to upgrade to 100w as soon as I found out that it would cause major problems for other drivers. Have fitted ring xenon 55w giving upto 120percent extra light. Well satisfied with these.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks gentlemen for the info on cornering lights. Will be checking them out in the car park when the car arrives - probably after Hallie's comet has been round again lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good decision jimbob2919..... If you check out Auto Express weekly paper online you will probably find that they have done tests on the latest brighter bulbs and will recommend the best performer.

If you have updated your low beams then do the same for the mains (hi-beam) for maximum results.

Now and again Aldi have uprated bulbs on sale at a very good price. They are worth purchasing to keep as spares in the boot. Although they aren't quite on a par with Philips or Osram they still provide extra white light at a competitive price. Just ensure they are marked as 50% brighter than standard.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
spiderman is right, the cornering lamps are next to the fog lamps. Note that they only come on below about 25mph.

As has been said, you do need to be careful with replacement bulbs because there is a risk of melting or discolouring the plastic lamp lenses. The bulb packaging should say whether or not they are safe for use with plastic lenses or not.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Upgraded my Main Beam H7 bulbs to 90% Brighter ones... what a difference!!
Halfords were doing 2 for the price of 1.

Also first car I have owned where the bulbs were a piece of wee wee the replace - easy access.

I still want to upgrade the cornering bulbs which are H27W's any ideas anyone if they 1's or 2's?

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_list_search.asp

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too am looking to upgrade the dipped headlights as they seem very dim and produce a yellow light which do not go well with the crisp white LED driving lights.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I will look at the Halfords ones as they are 2 for 1. Can you confirm if they are a nice white light or yellow light.

I did read some where that the Halfords ones are not very reliable as they blow in a few months but I guess it how often you use them.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi Robman,
I got the 2 for £24 and they asked if I wanted them fitted for £6..glad I didn't as they were easy to fit.

The light is now white and not yellow as before.

As to how long they will last, I'm not sure, but then again they are only branded by Halfords and there aren't that many manufacturers that make bulbs.

Not wishing to teach you how to suck eggs - make sure you do not touch the bulb on fitting it and that it is spottless.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Bargain... go for it. Wish I had seen it sooner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts