Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 680 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know what kind of fuel economy other CEE'd drivers are achieving, particularly with the 1.6 CRDI engine.
This is my experience with the car. I check economy each time I refuel by topping up and my measured MPG correlates with the on board trip computer to within 1 MPG.

I drive very conseritably and achieve 53 MPG on the motorway and out of town roads.
In town driving I get about 48 MPG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine can range from as low as 18mpg allthe way up to 60+ mpg it all depends on the mood im in lol

Average is about 55mpg, and im happy with that, its much better than my last car. i wasn't even getting 30mpg (2.0 petrol)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everybody. I purchased my first Kia on 21/12/2009. Its the Ceed 2 SW, 2010 model, 1.6 diesel. We went away for christmas in it and O boy was i suprised. Its build quality is excellent,the engine is very responsive and the fuel consumption is out of this world. When we set out I filled the tank to the brim, we have done 249 miles on 14.8 litres of diesel ( 3.32 gallons) that works out at an incredible 75.45 MPG. The only thing it can be faulted with, it has a knocking noise coming from the N/S rear when you go over a pot hole or going over a sleeping policeman. No knock from O/S rear. Just wondering has anybody else experienced this knock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
probably of no interest to you but ... i have just got a ceed 1.6i sw (fleet demonstrator 5k on the clock) about 9 days ago and i've been putting some major mileage on it .... so far i'm getting about 42 to the gallon which i expect to rise a bit when the weather warms up (currently -10C where i live in Northern Ireland). engine is starting to free up and the car is beginning to perform decently .....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello ! We bought our 2.0 CRDi Sport in June 2009 and have now done 6700 miles of all kinds of driving . We reset the fuel computer on every fill up and naerly always average between 44- 46 MPG . The ceed is a good car, but the ride is very firm .

·
Registered
56 Posts
New Ceed SW with just 1500 kilometres on the clock.

Round tripfor weekend away with about 40% country roads and pottering about and 60% motorway at cruising speed of 140 kph (87MPH) gave me 51 mpg.

Quite happy with that particularly bearing in mind the high speed on the motorway.

I noted that whenI dropped to 110 kph I was getting around the 4.6 l/100k mark or around 61mpg.

On a side note it's one of the most relaxing cars I have ever driven on a motorway!
Edited by: mojomoh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come on folk. I was hoping more people would respont so that I could get a good idea what the 1.6 diesel will actually do compared to the numbers published by Kia in their brochures. Although I have had up to 53 MPH on motorway driving I'm quite dissapointed with this as I have been driving very carefully and 60 MPH on motorways and 55 MPH on A roads.
Lets hear from you.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I could be wrong (as I do not have a Ceed but a Rio 1.5L) but I tried a average tankful at 60mph and got a lousy 47mpg.
I then tried an average tankful at 70mph and achieved 52mpg

My point is that sometimes the gearing in top gear (5th on the Rio) is so high that at 60mph the engine does not have full boost from the turbo.
Hence these smaller diesel engines suffer fuel economy off boost.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had new Ecodynamic ceed 2 ,mid November 2009 as driving school vehicle .to date 10.000 miles, 45 to 50 drivers a week average consumption 49 mpg on town work

When conducting Pass Plus training , @ all legal speed limitsmotorway/city driveing on the last 200 mile trip to and around Liverpool average 56mpg =£ 15.00 worth of diesel
When driving myself 60 mpg on a good run is not a problem

any probs so far, I may adjust the handbrake .I belive the secret not2 fast through the gears

the above results match up with my previous tdci fiesta and hdi peugeot but a much better built car

for less outlay hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks ASM. Sounds as if you'r getting decent
fuel economy. I do not have the Ecodynamic but do not do any stop start driving and couldn't come close to 60 MPG. Dealer and Kia are trying to faf me off that getting within 15%of published MPG is "Good".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad it helps I monitor the consumption very carefully and obtain the figures from filling the car brim to brim about 3 times a week ,it never quite matches the computor figures usually 1 or 2 miles below .Its on 20.000 mile servicing ,now done 10 .000 miles used about 1 1/2 pints of oil
very good in snow all learners managed well

At time of purchase I bought a proper steel wheel for a spare ,well worth the investment having had to use it when I shredded a tyre in The Mersey tunnel ,cheaper to drive out and shred tyre than tow out charges .

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi,I find i,m only getting 35.6 mpg locally from my ceed 1.6 crdi.Its 2 yrs.old now so I would have thought the mileage should be better,even on a run I am only averaging just over 40 mpg.Thats without being heavy on the accelorater too.Any thoughts please.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
thats pretty crap consumption. I had 2 Ceed 1.4 petrols and both used get about 36mpg locally and 43mpg on a run at motorway speeds.
Have you been back to the dealer to see what they come up with ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Brand new Cee'd SW Ecodynamics 1.6 CRDi gives me between 62 and 74 mpg on average if the trip computer is to be believed. This was driving very carefully on A-roads with non-rush hour town centre at the end of an 18 mile journey.
The trick seems to be to keep the torque demand small (light gas pedal usage) and the revs between 1450 and 1950 rpm; outside that the mpg drops off rapidly. 40mph to 50 mph requires 5th gear, 6th gear is only for 50mph+ on nearly flat roads.
It's so frugal I haven't needed to fill it yet apart from topping up when collected so it's hard to compare to a measured value. Once it's below half full I can do a refill and calculate mpg with minimal error. (i.e. 1 litre either way in the refill should be a smaller percentageof the amount of fuel I put in.)
It's very comfortable and looking good on the mpg, but I'll post again with more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Davy,thanks for your reply.Car goes in for 2nd.annual service on 29th.March,I,ll see what they say then.I will post the outcome.Cheers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Update: Average measured as 17.88 litres for 261 miles gives 66mpg. That includes quite a lot of town and country road driving though. I'd expect the economy to be better on a motorway run, as long as I could stick to 65mph or so.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2 week old ecodynamics. 40mpg around town so far. had it up to 50 once on a 20 mile return trip. early days i know but i hope improves soon..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased new Cee'd 1.4 SR-7 last October and to date have done 3100 miles. Very pleased with car except for fuel economy. To begin with, even with careful driving on a long run I only averaged 33mpg. I have since managed to achieve up to 36mpg, which I still consider most unsatisfactory considering the combined mpg claim is 46.3. With previous cars I have always achieved better than official figures, so I know I should be getting another 10mpg with the type of motoring I do. Dealer tells me it will improve, but I don't think it will by 10mpg! My MGF, with a 38.3 claimed average does 43-44 - and driven harder than the Cee'd at that. What are others doing in the 1.4 petrol model? Is it likely mine has a fault?
Looking forward to feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You must be driving it with your wellies on Gardenerpaul
. I that is pretty poor consumption. I know you have to give it some to get it go the 1400 engine. I felt it was a tad under powered for the car. The last oneI had done about 6k when I sold it and was ok on fuel as I said in an earlier post. I would give it another 3k and see if ther is an improvement.Edited by: davy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for that Davy, but if I was 'giving it some wellie' I expect I'd be getting well under 30! In all my years of motoring this is the most 'gas guzzling' car I've ever owned - and I bought it because of the fuel economy! Here's hoping it improves with the mileage.

Paul

1 - 20 of 680 Posts