Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Kia ceed eco 1.6 crdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know where I could get the Led high beam bulbs from I bought some but they are three and a half inches long and are to big car is a Kia ceed eco 1.6 crdi on a 61 plate I’ve tried EBay but can’t find anything on there thanks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
All you can do is find the bulb designation i.e. H3, H7 etc and search viewing the bulb dimensions, most higher power LED bulbs are larger than std as they have a cooling fan, that's what I found when looking for some to upgrade my 100w spot lamps, there was none available at the time, but there may be now. If not you may have to settle for the best non LED upgrade such as the Osram night breakers https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osra...zhyB5jN0JSqw3ik3tTOCVlZc6qyPYurRoC1IwQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
Kia ceed eco 1.6 crdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All you can do is find the bulb designation i.e. H3, H7 etc and search viewing the bulb dimensions, most higher power LED bulbs are larger than std as they have a cooling fan, that's what I found when looking for some to upgrade my 100w spot lamps, there was none available at the time, but there may be now. If not you may have to settle for the best non LED upgrade such as the Osram night breakers https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/osra...zhyB5jN0JSqw3ik3tTOCVlZc6qyPYurRoC1IwQAvD_BwE
It’s something like this what I need but this one is too long

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
These are the same make I bought, they appear to be smaller than a stock bulb, you need to measue the originals to be sure,

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not too scientific, but using a ruler on the 3 images I would say they are a lot shorter than the ones you have, if you look at the bit where the wire goes(the spade terminal) and divide it in to the bit that goes into the lamp body, I would say the ones you got from e bay are about 4.5 times longer in the lamps, the original and the nightbreakers appear to be 2.6 times if that makes sense.

·
Registered
Kia ceed eco 1.6 crdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not too scientific, but using a ruler on the 3 images I would say they are a lot shorter than the ones you have, if you look at the bit where the wire goes(the spade terminal) and divide it in to the bit that goes into the lamp body, I would say the ones you got from e bay are about 4.5 times longer in the lamps, the original and the nightbreakers appear to be 2.6 times if that makes sense.
thanks mate yes the ones I bought are way too big for the lamps the image you put on look the right size that I need did you get them off eBay?

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
65 Posts
Depending on what type you need, I can recommend these (these are for high and low beam)

·
Registered
Kia ceed eco 1.6 crdi
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not many will list them correctly, that's why you need to remove one take careful measurements and check the spec on the ad, as you have found out with the ones you received they vary considerably, even if the ad lists a fitment for your car I would go off the measurements, had plenty of examples of parts claimed to fit that don't and parts saying doesn't fit my Land Rover but I knew they would dimension wise ! good luck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
To be honest I find the headlamps in my Ceed pretty decent, especially on full beam.

I've got the projector type of light units. How well do LEDs perform by comparison to the usual filament bulbs?

My usual experience, historically, is that the lights appear very bright to look at but don't thrown much light down the road.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
To be honest I find the headlamps in my Ceed pretty decent, especially on full beam.

I've got the projector type of light units. How well do LEDs perform by comparison to the usual filament bulbs?

My usually experience historically is that the lights appear very bright to look at but don't thrown much light down the road.

No LED replacement bulb will give a good beam pattern, even if it seems to be bright - a lot of the light is going other than where you need it to be.

·
Registered
135 Posts
And that's why they could well be illegal. I read somewhere of a guy having an accident due to being blinded by a landrover with aftermarket led bulbs and the landrover driver was prosecuted. The bulbs won't have the same light output pattern as a filament bulb so the lens/reflector won't work properly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It depends a lot on the quality of the bulb and the lamp it is fitted to, LED bulbs work really well in some lamps not so good in others. I got fed up with being blinded by modern cars when driving my old Land Rover, so I bought some LED bulbs. Findings.
1) far brighter, but also wider illumination to the sides kerbs and the illuminate the road further ahead.
2) anything white (road markings) or reflective (signs etc) really stand out.
3)with old school dual filament (which mine are) when you go to main beam the dip beam extinguishes to prevent heat build up with LED dip stays on which gives an amazing improvement in light output over the Halogen which is obviously one beam at a time.
4) they draw far less power.
5) as can be seen in the vid below the pattern as in some cases much against popular belief was better with a more distinct cut off (I have seen some that were unusable due to light scatter, generally the cases where the pattern etc is shocking they are cheap bulbs off ebay.
6) on my first drive at night I noticed the "blinding by other drivers" was in the main gone, the view of the road ahead was easily twice as good which would appear impossible if you measure the outputs, they are better allegedly but twice as good ? Ah took me a little while to figure it out. I had 55w halogen lamps, so the usual yellowish light on the road, now with the 6000k Led everything was bright, white signs look like they are flood lit, this closes the pupil down to compensate, so when a car comes the other way my pupils are already smaller so they don't blind the same, in addition, once the other car has passed I can see far better than before due to my lights being brighter but before my pupils had reacted to the oncoming bright lights and then I could see even less than before as my pupils had shut down giving the effect my Halogens had reduced in output. I know this to be the case as before I could see far more of the interior than now with the LEDs. The same is true of folk blinding from behind in my mirrors it doesn't bother me anymore. On a personal note I would rather anything brighter than halogen on dip beams should not have been allowed, it started the headlamp equivalent of the cold war arms race. I also have LED spot lamps, before when an oncoming bright light equipped car had main beam on they appeared to ignore my feeble attempts of flashing my 2 60w Halogen main beams at them, not had that issue since they receive the equivalent of the sun in return.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As the OP started the post for High beam lamps and therefore presuming they are a separate lamp to the dip beam the reference to "pattern" is fairly irrelevant, you want the brightest blob of light that penetrates the night the furthest and if possible the widest spread of light at that distance, with dip remaining on the amount of light needed for close vision from the main beams is reduced, with the older lamps where dip went off, the main still needed to provide illumination of the road in front not just in the distance. The issue of blinding others should not be an issue, as you should be on dip when other vehicles are either in front or oncoming.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Agree for main beam the pattern is only relevant to the driver of the car.

Never the less it remains illegal to fit LED (or HID) bulbs into a lamp assembly which was designed for halogens, and it is (if detected) an MoT fail. There are NO replaceable LED bulbs with approval for on road use - all factory LED fittings (and the laser lights on some premium cars) are allowed on a special exemption basis and none of them have replaceable bulbs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The compatibility failure used for LED bulbs is onerous as the inspection only refers to check HID in a Halogen lamps, the reference to "Light source" had to introduced as a definition from the old manual due to the fact that many modern lighting systems do not have a bulb as such, they are not necessarily linked. Some garages pass them some fail them, The DVSA as it is now called appear reluctant to clarify the issue (unless you have access to something I don't) I have e mailed my ex work colleagues at DVSA and got a mixed response so far, although I am still waiting for replies from some. I was on the panel that sat for the changes to the MOT scheme and SVA, IVA and all that was discussed at the time was HID, the reason behind the change was that grey imports coming through SVA were fiddled to Halogen from HID as they do not have wash or self leveling which is a requirement for the EU not elsewhere, so nothing could be done to stop the vehicles being permitted on UK roads in the full knowledge they would be subsequently changed back to HID, hence suggesting it to MOT as "incompatible" with reference to HID's in order to catch them on the road so to speak. As with most things government it needs a legal challenge to clarify it. This is an interesting read. looks like technically all the headlamps are illegal in the UK even factory fitted HID and led DRLs etc according to lighting regs. But there are many laws existing in the UK that are not applied. Aftermarket LED Bulbs: MOT Rules And Legalities

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
There are EU specs for halogen bulbs so they can be subjected to approval testing and then bear the appriopriate E mark. The intended lamp assembly is also tested for compliance and this then ensures compliant beams when bulbs are replaced. There are no specifications for LED bulbs or HIDs so manufacturers have to use a different route - they obtain a type sepcific waiver on a model by model basis,. They will not get this waiver if they fit replaceable LED bulbs because there is no assurance that a later replacement bulb will have the same characteristics as the one chosen by the manufacturer. The link you provided is quite clear on LED bulbs. The enforcement is somewhat problematic since MoT inspectors are not allowed to take the bulbs out to see if they bear the correct E marking. Fitting any bulb which does not have the correct E marking is illegal and an MoT fail (but only if detected) - (even a halogen - non compliant halogens are available and usually marketed as for "off road use only") The position is not at all unclear, but the means of enforcement is.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts