Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know if any body has experience of led headlights in the snow, do they self clean ie melt the snow from the lense ? standard bulbs create heat which keeps the lenses clear of snow/ice to a degree. As leds run cool i wondered if this was a problem?

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
392 Posts
I've no direct experience of LED headlights, but I don't think it is quite true they run cold. I have an LED torch which turns itself down to avoid overheating, and recent videos I've seen of the new Gordon Murray supercar mention the headlight heat-sink (exposed for your viewing pleasure, as below). Perhaps with a concealed heat-sink, the heat just dissipates in the engine bay. Interesting to hear what KIA drivers have experienced.
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 17.20.24.png

[Hopefully Gordon won't come after me for copyright!]

Reactions: noublue

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
LEDs run cooler but still produce heat, as does the lamp associated driver. Some LEDS require fan cooling so perhaps they direct the cooliing air into the lamp housing? This will mean that the capacity to melt snow is reduced however. I have never experienced snow build up on a headlamp while driving (provided it is cleaned off initially) but I suppose it is possible if the conditins are severe enough. Any Scottish members care to comment?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple years ago i was in france driving through the "beast from the east" snow storm ice built up on fog lights, the lense was covered except for a hole in the middle where it melted. the headllght surround and bonnet was covered in ice/snow with 3/4 of headlight clear where i presume the ice/snow had melted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Many winter years ago the headlights on my Marina, no sniggering at the back , got dimmer and dimmer. The brine splashed up from the road was drying on the warm sealed beam lights. Warmth isn't everything.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Many winter years ago the headlights on my Marina, no sniggering at the back , got dimmer and dimmer. The brine splashed up from the road was drying on the warm sealed beam lights. Warmth isn't everything.

Yes I have ahd that experience too (but never in a Marina) :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
The lights on my Marina used to go out when it hit bump; that was fun, fumbling about in the dark to find the switch on the dash and give it a wiggle!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh the marina :rolleyes: i had a purple coupe with a black vinyl roof. windscreen leaked badly, mostly to do with rust around the screen, i took the rubber bungs out of the floor for drainage. happy memories:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
A nightmare. I attempted to seal my windscreen rubbers many times. The boot filled up with water as well and I also removed the bungs after failing to seal it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I recall being sent to the BL Cowley plant as a field engineer. Two stories:

1) Security guard on the gate wanted to refuse my entry because I was not in a BL vehicle. (I later checked their purchase order and it was a condition of entry to the site to be in a BL vehicle!) I said I was there to fix the computer (true) and asked if he and the workers here were paid by computer (without telling him it was not that computer I was there to fix). He let me in.

2) As I drove across the site the car park was full of little trolleys each with a (Marina or Priincess) body on it and all the other panels hanging off various hooks - all in primer. It was pouring with rain. While attending to the fault I asked my host what was going on in the car park, He said that there was a stoppage on the production line (other side of the main Oxford bypass) but the body shop just keeps going, so they were storing the bodies in the car park (in the rain). As I was about to leave my host advised that the production line was running again so it would be busy in the car park moving the bodies across the road and into the factory so be careful.. I watched a tractor pulling a line of about 5 of these trolleys across the car park and as he went round a corner water was pouring out of them. Later they put a covered bridge in over the bypass so the bodies could transfer in the dry. So the stories about BL cars being pre-rusted are true.

Is it any wonder that BL is now gone?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ah yes, the swimming pool in the rear footwells, I remember it well! Meanwhile, the spare wheel had almost sunk through the bottom of the wing, it was so rotten. If they'd wanted to design a rust trap, they couldn't have done it any better.

How on earth did we get so far off topic?! :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts