Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, probably a silly question but have the Sportage with led headlights gtline -s.

is it both low and high beam that are led?

only reason I ask is when I was checking manual, it says low beam and states with led or bulb (dependant on model). However for high beam it only states bulb and there’s no mention of led.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Good point, ‘Daveyboy123’!

I can’t speak for the Sportage GT-Line S, but certainly on the Optima Tourer with that spec, all the lights, both internal and external are LEDs.

I’d guess the reference to bulbs that you mention relates to lesser models within the range and I’d be surprised if KIA had equipped your model with anything less than dual LED lamps. If you do any night driving where you utilise the auto dip, or even manual main/dip, you would immediately recognise if main beam was via bulb!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My understanding was that both dipped and full beam would be led but seems strange that manual doesn’t indicate this.

from what you’ve said so far on this post it would seem that the full beam would be led as well. Any way of finding out for sure?

·
Registered
700 Posts
My understanding was that both dipped and full beam would be led but seems strange that manual doesn’t indicate this.

from what you’ve said so far on this post it would seem that the full beam would be led as well. Any way of finding out for sure?
Short of taking the headlight unit apart I don't think there is and I'm not about to do that with a brand new car. The specification does state "LED Bi-Function Headlights with Adaptive Lighting System"

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm led to believe that the GT Line S with LED projection headlights only has one LED "bulb" fitted. There is no separate hi and low beam filament or bulb. The switch between Hi and low beam is achieved by a mechanical shutter within the headlamp assembly. If you stand by the headlight whist it switches between Hi and Lo beam you can hear the mechanical shutter operating. DO NOT try and look into the light assembly to see the operation - LED's are exceedingly bright !!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did see somewhere when I started trying to find out if car had it or not that most systems use a shutter type thing. I’m sure it must be led as like mr macspot said, they are bi-function so one would assume the ‘bi’ part means low and high.
I just find it puzzling that in the manual if that’s the case that they didn’t just put low/high beam - LED.
It’s sounds like from what everyone has said that likelihood is that the light will be LED.
What’s the ‘adaptive lighting’ part of the system? Is this bending lights?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
[QUOTE="Daveyboy123, post: 361565, member: 23172"What’s the ‘adaptive lighting’ part of the system? Is this bending lights?[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that the expression which describes the autonomous main/dip operation?

·
Registered
36 Posts
"True" adaptive lights have motorised reflectors that turn with the steering, "bending" the lights when cornering. To my knowledge none of the current UK spec: Sportage models have this feature.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
To my knowledge none of the current UK spec: Sportage models have this feature.
If that is correct, although I have no reason to doubt you, I am most surprised as the headlamps in my Optima operate in that fashion. I felt sure that one or two of the Sportage trim levels sported the same facility.

I know that some of the Ceed models feature static cornering lamps but I would have expected the top-of-the-range Sportage to feature dynamic bending headlamps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have read that some of the Ceed models do indeed have adaptive headlights - in the true sense. My Sportage GT LineS does not, although a internet search revels that earlier US spec Sportages did. I seem to remember that when I was thinking of purchasing a Sportage the sales broacher did show adaptive headlights, but they certainly do not seem to be fitted to my car. Which spec I can't remember!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve also read and seen articles stating adaptive lighting for the US vehicles. Find it odd that much of the systems are the same but some things seem to get missed or added on different country models.

I also have the Gtline s so would assume it’s the same. Not been out in dark yet with it so been unable to check but from your post I imagine it would be same.
so you think bi function means low and high beam?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have read that some of the Ceed models do indeed have adaptive headlights - in the true sense. My Sportage GT LineS does not, although a internet search revels that earlier US spec Sportages did. I seem to remember that when I was thinking of purchasing a Sportage the sales broacher did show adaptive headlights, but they certainly do not seem to be fitted to my car. Which spec I can't remember!
The ceed gt has moving lights. Hard to notice unless manoeuvring in the dark.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm led to believe that the GT Line S with LED projection headlights only has one LED "bulb" fitted. There is no separate hi and low beam filament or bulb. The switch between Hi and low beam is achieved by a mechanical shutter within the headlamp assembly. If you stand by the headlight whist it switches between Hi and Lo beam you can hear the mechanical shutter operating. DO NOT try and look into the light assembly to see the operation - LED's are exceedingly bright !!!!
View attachment 6919
How quickly does this shutter operate?
Obviously concerns that it's slow compared with a separate bulb being switched off, and could dazzle people until it operates.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wonder what the reasoning behind this is.
I'm sure there's a very good reason, but to the uninitiated it doesn't half look a bit Heath Robinson....
Maybe this is why my Leaf only had LED on dip.
I ended up using 5000K halogen bulbs for main beam so they matched.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts