Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, My passenger headlight LED DRL strip is blinking when headlight is on full beam and engine running. Anyone know what this is?

It doesn't do it when engine is off, or when main beam is off.

·
Registered
717 Posts
All too common issue on tbe Cee'D. This forum has many threads to it. Warranty replacement. They did both of mine even though only one side was playing up.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Agree with everyone above. My Cee'd (now ex- it was swapped today) had both replaced under warranty with no quibbles.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Had both of mine changed on my 4 Tech 2013 under warranty no problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We are on our 2nd Kia Ceed Sportwagon 4 tech and think they are great cars. However, our last one was a 2013 regn and I took it to our local Kia garage for its first MOT and service. They failed the MOT because they said one of the LED daytime running lights were flickering. They would have replaced the light, under warranty, BUT told me that this is a common problem with Ceed cars and, to their knowledge, there were 200 lights on back order and they had no idea when their order would arrive and it could be months. Meanwhile, because they had failed the MOT, I wasn't allowed to drive the car. They would give me a courtesy car.
My husband and I were not at all happy with this. We looked at the light, our neighbours looked at the light and friends looked at this light. No-one saw any flicker at all. We were still going to have to pay £300 a month to the finance company for our own car while it sat in the Kia garage gathering dust and we were given a small basic Kia Ceed to drive.
I asked the garage if they would re-test our car as mistakes can be made. The answer was no, they couldn't do that until a new part was fitted.
I emailed the finance company (Kia Finance) and Kia Customer Services saying we were not at all happy with the situation.
Lo and behold, two days later, the garage phoned to say our car was ready. I asked if they had suddenly got an order of light fittings (a little bit of sarcasm) and was told they had fitted a new light and it passed the MOT. Well, we didn't believe a word of it. We think KIA had told them re-check the light and, hey presto, no flickering. Anyway, we got our own car back that day and do not believe there was ever a light flicker, but it does seem to be a problem with Ceeds.

·
Registered
708 Posts
L.e.ds due to there nature cannot withstand high heat or lots of vibration the wiring is so thin unfortunately many manufacturers use them as drl lights encasing them within the headlight unit where the heat from the normal bulbs destroys the solder on the l.e.ds and the vibration fractures wiring the answer is simple make the headlights so they can be split easily to replace the strip and use thicker wire .

Many cars with the mot rules will fail now due to l.e.ds yet they are not necessary the world managed without them for long enough

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I had exactly the same with my Cee'd, but they only flickered when the dipped beams were on. At all other times they were fine. Both were replaced under warranty but it was 3 years ago, so I guess there's been a run on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi i have a 65 reg Kia Ceed Sportswagon and last night the drivers side DLR was flickering but only when the headlights were on. I have tried it agin this morning and working fine. Anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Has anyone been able to ascertain what the fault is? LEDs are pretty robust it's the circuits that drive them that fail. LEDs, correctly driven, either work or don't - they don't have an individual 'flicker' failure modes.

I suspect a poor driver circuit design or board layout coupled with the evil lead free solder now mandated in manufacturing. Being harder Pb free solder is more susceptible to vibration and poor connections developing over time, particularly when subjected to heat cycling. Pb free solder is not favourite in the aviation industry for these reasons.

Something like this is probably why Kia are undertaking out of warranty replacement.

If someone can get their hands on a 'failed' unit I know of a person who would do a detailed fault finding exercise on them. The silly reality is that reworking the solder may fix the unit for good but that is not an activity that a service agent would want to do, or Kia sanction.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
II acree Radiorail - IRC there have been similar posts and it now seems that KIA are replacing the driver board only

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mentioned this at the dealer when I took my car for a service last week. I was told (as Turnup confirms), that Kia are now carrying out a repair rather than a replacement. I wasn’t aware that they were doing out of warranty repairs. I’ve already had both of mine replaced on my 2012 Ceed but the thought of the cost of replacing two complete units in the event of them failing again has made me think of changing what has otherwise been a very reliable car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The repair is horrendous and not something I would want doing to my car. Basically a hole is cut in the bottom of the head light unit with a hot soldering iron to access the PCB which is replaced. It then has a plastic patch stuck over it to cover the hole. Frankly it looks a mess when completed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts