1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just read this on the Auto Bulb direct site

'Brexit 2021 Update
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.” '

I thought this was already the case but apparently not so. It is now though and MOT testers must now check for this conversion, so if you've fitted them don't be upset if they are spotted and failed. The ABD article is an interesting read especially coming from a company that sells LED bulbs.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
You called marthter?

The laws regarding LED lighting on cars have not changed - just greater clarity in the inspection manual (about time too IMO). The timing WRT Brexit is probably just co-incidence. It is reltively easy to spot LED headlamps, less easy for the inspector to tell the difference between legal OEM LED headlamps and illegal retrofitted LED headlamps because they are not allowed to dismantle anything so this would need detailed knowledge of manufacturing specs for a huge number of cars - even different versions of the same model/year can differ in headlamp type.. Even harder to tell with the other bulbs. Becasue of this I expect a lot of peeps get away with it unless the replacement is outrageously bright or the wrong colour.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
I think is effect it was a fail, but like a lot of things MOT tester can not pull bits apart to check. Now with the update, they will have no choice or they could lose their licence to test.

It will be pretty clear on reflector headlamps if HID or LED is fitted. On projector not so easy as it would require the rear of the lamp assembly to be removed to check the bulbs. Very clear when its not a halogen bulb... Having fitted both HID & LED to car & bike..

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You called marthter?

The timing WRT Brexit is probably just co-incidence.
I think its more to do with the 'E' regulations changing from EU policy to UK home grown policy.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
But the E regulations are EU policy. Nearly all of the EU regulations are enchrined in UK law and it will take a long time to change that by any significant amount since each takes an act of parliament. I very much doubt that the UK will ever change construction and use etc to be different from the EU position since this makes import/export so much easier and UK suppliers do not want to make many changes between vehicles destined for the UK and EU market.

It is my opinion that most of the EU regulation WRT motoring is anyway perfectly fine and it is expensive to diverge solely for "not invented here". A small parallel in mobile phone regulation. It took the EU to legislate against the outrageous roaming charges and the industry has at present no plans to go back to the old system.

For the record I am a Brexiteer but a great deal of EU legislation is perfectly fine and sensible and I hope that we can continue to take the good bits.

·
Registered
833 Posts
This is an interesting video on what is inside a typical LED headlight assembly. While not a Kia unit I guess it's the same for most LED units these days.

Shows how LED units are so different to ordinary halogen units. Also scary if you think of the cost of having to replace a 'modified' (as in crash) unit!

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
92 Posts
I've fitted Led headlights to 2 of my 1977 motorcycles, and a HID to another one.
Survival is very important!
Good job no mot at 40+ years old - or ved!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Each EU member state and the UK have different rules regarding all aspects of vehicles, in some cases pre registration and certainly post registration. many are first test 4 years then every 2 years for annual inspection, some countries do not permit any alteration from the approval, except for further approved mods. including tyre sizes, many will not allow private garages to conduct the test. You can have a home built vehicle, or a vehicle from outside of the EU/UK approved in the UK, (but it will have no approval marks as set down in EU/UK use regulations), not in many other countries, hence you see more "Kit" type cars in the UK. The EU set a minimum regulation (such as bi annual testing not yearly) but does not set out all aspects of the testable items. It did allow for a vehicle serviced to mfr's service schedule to negate the requirement for an MOT at one point, the UK didn't adopt that obviously although it was discussed. worth a scan down the various countries and differing EU members on this list.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about LED side/stop/DLR bulbs?
We've changed the DRL Lamp/Bulb on our Soul Connect with a LED ones as they last longer and are brighter, and therefore better in our view. They work perfectly, don't show up as a bulb failure and have the double filament design so dim when the headlights are switched on.
The standard mentioned above just says "Halogen Headlight Units". Be interested to see what others think as would save having to swap the bulbs before each MOT!

·
Registered
833 Posts
We've changed the DRL Lamp/Bulb on our Soul Connect with a LED ones as they last longer and are brighter, and therefore better in our view. They work perfectly, don't show up as a bulb failure and have the double filament design so dim when the headlights are switched on.
The standard mentioned above just says "Halogen Headlight Units". Be interested to see what others think as would save having to swap the bulbs before each MOT!
Technically using any LED lamps in any fitting designed for filament lamps is 'illegal'. That includes DRL, side, brake etc. Whether the MOT guy will notice your DLR change is a risk you take.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Argh, you've hit on my pet hate! Folks who change the incandescent brake bulbs for LED's and then sit with their foot on the brake pedal dazzling me behind them... I know you don't do it but it is a pain when drivers do.
Powerbulbs advised on the 28th Jan 2021 that if your car is not fitted at manufacture with LEDs then ' please note that any LED bulbs used in your brake, sidelights or fog lights are not road legal'.
Are LED Car Headlight Bulbs Road Legal? | LED Upgrades | PowerBulbs UK.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
The regs apply to all esterior lights. That said, provided they are not much brighter than the halogens and not a silly colour you might get away with it. Brighter DRLs are a bit iffy though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Technically using any LED lamps in any fitting designed for filament lamps is 'illegal'. That includes DRL, side, brake etc. Whether the MOT guy will notice your DLR change is a risk you take.
Thanks, have to admit have read elsewhere the same sort of thing. Seems strange that a car can have LED DRL but if you use a LED Lamp in non LED DRLs it's an MOT failure. Rules is Rules I suppose.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Thanks, have to admit have read elsewhere the same sort of thing. Seems strange that a car can have LED DRL but if you use a LED Lamp in non LED DRLs it's an MOT failure. Rules is Rules I suppose.
Nothing strange about it. It is a question of beam pattern, colour and brightness. No LED "bulb" replacements have the same emissions pattern as the filament bulb they are replacing. If you look you will see that ALL vehicles which are factory fitted LEDs have non-replaceable LED assemblies (which look nothing like LED "bulbs") and an entirely different reflector and lens design. It is also not uncommon to see illegal LED (and HID) "upgrades" which (apart from an apalling beam pattern) have far too much light output and very questionable colour.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts