Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA SPORTAGE DIESEL ESTATE 1.6 CRDI 48V ISG GT-LINE S DCT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

I’ve collected my brand new Sportage GT Line-S with the LED lights. I’m finding that the aiming seems to be off on the left hand light as it’s not lighting anything up along the side of the road. Turning left is basically in the dark.
Can anyone advise where the adjuster is on the light unit so I can try and temporarily sort it till I can go back to the dealer for proper adjustments?
Thanks

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
208 Posts
Just take it straight back to the dealer. It’s a two minute job for them to sort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easier said than done with the shifts that I work and not being able to go to the dealer without an appointment. Hence the reason for wanting to temporarily adjust them till I can get over to the dealer.
It’s not clear from looking at the lights where the adjustment screw is.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
208 Posts
Modern lights have multiple adjustments, up/down/left/right.
also depending on the spec of your car they may have self levelling.
another note is may have lights which change angle depending on steering wheel position, could be a motor has failed and stuck one light in a weird position.

·
Registered
975 Posts
On a new car I'd only trust this to the dealer - you don't want to be accused of causing a fault later. New head light assemblies would cost you dear if Kia bounced a warranty claim because of 'tampering'.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I’m finding that the aiming seems to be off on the left hand light as it’s not lighting anything up along the side of the road. Turning left is basically in the dark.
I concur with post #2 and #5. Book the car into the dealer on a day and at a time to suit you and let them adjust the lamps correctly with the aid of their beamsetter.

Just drive within the limitations enforced on you by the maladjusted beams in the dark until it's fixed.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Personally I would just turn up at dealership & ask them to do a quick check. Should not take more than a couple on mins.
Other option pop to a MOT station & ask if they can check and adjust. Might cost a couple of beers if you know them. But better than a trip into a hedge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here’s a dashcam video of the issue. You can see a large shadow on the sides and front of the bonnet. Is anyone else’s similar before I contact the dealership?

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
208 Posts
To be honest, that looks fine to me! (Maybe slightly low)
lighting up bushes on left fine and that’s what I’d expect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s probably a bit deceiving on the dashcam but that shadow in front of the bonnet is about 5ft long and the shadow at the sides means that any left hand turns are totally in the dark. There’s no illumination of side roads at all when turning into them. I also get flashed at by just about everyone approaching me. I’ve temp set the adjuster inside to 3 which is the lowest setting but it’s still not right.
Dealer is going to have a look later anyway so I’ll update this thread once it’s been checked out.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had a similar experience with my Sportage and LED headlights. I agree with @SiW I think the view is perfectly acceptable, and as you turn into a road it will obviously get lit. I also suffered with constantly being flashed, and, rightly or wrongly, came to the conclusion that the headlights are aligned correctly, but being LED are very bright, and being a Sportage they are physically set quite high up.

I now have an Xceed with LED headlights and, even on their highest setting, I have not been flashed once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I had a Seat Leon previous to this Sportage and it had LED lights. I could clearly see the corners as I was turning into them, I can’t with the Sportage and there was no shadow in front of the car as there is with this one. I’ll see what the dealer says later anyway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the reply, but I had a Seat Leon previous to this Sportage and it had LED lights. I could clearly see the corners as I was turning into them, I can’t with the Sportage and there was no shadow in front of the car as there is with this one. I’ll see what the dealer says later anyway.
And the Leon definitely didn't have adaptive/turning headlights? It's the kind of technology that's quite common with Seat.

Not had a sportage with LED lights but interestingly only the other week read a post on here from someone saying how they are really disappointed with the LED lights on their KIA as the performance is sub par compared to their VW group car with LED's (or something along those lines)

if i find it again i will put a link to it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Even the most basic SEAT Leon has cornering foglights in the spec. As far as I'm aware none of the Sportages currently have them. That may well explain the difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I didn’t have the cornering lights etc. On the Leon. They had the fog light come on in the direction I was turning but that was a bit useless!
To be honest I think it’s the shaded area that’s the problem. I’m actually on the dealership at the minute as they put the car onto their diagnostics.
Edited for spelling.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Fog lights that come on when you turn is exactly what I was referring to

·
Registered
526 Posts
To be honest I think it’s the shaded area that’s the problem. I’m actually on the dealership at the minute as they put the car onto their diagnostics.
Edited for spelling.
What was the verdict?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The verdict is that the jury is out! Diagnostics show no faults and the alignment is fine. The service advisor and gent who sold the car find the shadow area to be odd and aren’t sure if it’s normal for these lights to have it. They’re going to check another Sportage that one of them drives and get back to me.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The verdict is that the jury is out! Diagnostics show no faults and the alignment is fine. The service advisor and gent who sold the car find the shadow area to be odd and aren’t sure if it’s normal for these lights to have it. They’re going to check another Sportage that one of them drives and get back to me.
The lights in your video look pretty much like they used to be on my Sportage and I found them fine, oncoming drivers less so

·
Registered
360 Posts
Looks perfectly OK to me, and very similar to the light pattern on my Sportage fitted with LED lights Took out my son's 2021 year Golf GTi last night with LED's and to be honest the light pattern was worse than the Sportage

1 - 20 of 26 Posts