Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking delivery of my 2020 facelift Niro PHEV soon here in Ireland, where we only have one trim level, which has some oddities, the most annoying of which is that in this day and age it still has halogen headlamps. I'm used to LED headlights now from my old car, a Nissan Pulsar, and seeing as the Niro has a projector housing for the combined dip / main beam bulb I was thinking of replacing the halogen bulbs with a set of high-quality Philips LED bulbs.

Has anyone here done the same, and were the results satisfactory? I don't want to go blinding everyone on the road, so want some assurance that the beam pattern with the LED bulbs is as good as with the halogens.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
There is no way that a projector housing designed for a halogen bulb will give a proper pattern with LEDs fitted - the problem is that the light emitting parts are not in the same place..It is anyway illegal to use LED headlamps on teh road other than as original equipment (and none of those have replaceable LED bulbs). Note that they are marketed as not for road use and do not bear the appropriate EU approval mark. Also an MoT failure but that is a few years away yet for you.

Agree that the halogens are pants. Take a look at the Phillips and Osram replacement bulbs - they do a range from whiter and brighter than standard halogens and moving on up to bulbs which are even more brighterer and whiterer for off road use only.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This might give you an idea what they may look like in projectors -

I have these excellent Philips LED's in the reflector main beam in my Proceed GT, there is no difference in the beam pattern v's the halogens except a big increase in light output - Philips X-tremeUltinon gen2 H7 LED Bulb (Twin) | PowerBulbs

They can be adjusted to give the optimal beam pattern in the headlight.

I've tried the halogen upgrades...yes they are a bit brighter but do not compare to the LED's.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
This might give you an idea what they may look like in projectors -

I have these excellent Philips LED's in the reflector main beam in my Proceed GT, there is no difference in the beam pattern v's the halogens except a big increase in light output - Philips X-tremeUltinon gen2 H7 LED Bulb (Twin) | PowerBulbs

They can be adjusted to give the optimal beam pattern in the headlight.

I've tried the halogen upgrades...yes they are a bit brighter but do not compare to the LED's.

But not road legal.........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts