Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, hoping someone can answer my question…… The missus has a 2018 Sportage GT Line (petrol manual), which is now three years into a four year lease and due to go back next May.

The car originally came with Continental Contisport on. The rear wheels are fine and still have loads of tread left, will easy last the rest of the lease and beyond. But the front two needed changing earlier this year at under 2mm after less than 3 years and about 13/14000 miles. Wasn’t impressed at all!

Replaced them with two decent part worns that had about 6mm on (can’t remember the brand). Decided against contisport after the originals wore down so easily and didn’t fancy replacing them again before handing it back. Tread depth is great on them and they’ll deffo last the rest of the lease. Wouldn’t normally go with part worn but these were virtually brand new and a great price.

Flash forward six months and I’ve just come to replacing the tyres on my own car and started looking more closely at speed/load ratings. Have now noticed that the part worns on her Sportage are 245/45 R19 V XL whereas the original Contis on the back are 245/45 R19 W.

Before today it meant nothing to me but I’m now aware that we’ve got a lighter speed rating on the front than on the back. Bit worried now that I’ve got the wrong tyres and that the lease company will sting us for two new tyres next year.

The car has been serviced and MOT’d since getting the part worns and nothing was said.

Does anyone know what the minimum speed rating on this model car is? Can’t find the information anywhere online and she’s out in it at the moment so I can’t get in it to look.

Rather change them again now if need be than worry about it last minute when handing it back….

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
If you go on a decent tyre company's website you should be able to search on the index number and it will tell you what tyres are standard fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
As said above minimum rating is W for the car.
you have fitted a lower rating which not only could see you with a bill for a new pair of tyres, but would also invalidate your insurance…. (Although I doubt your car will do over 149mph)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FFS :mad:

Didn’t think I’d be replacing them again before handing them back. I’ve a good mind to go back to the place that sold me them and told me they’re the right ones. My fault for not looking into it properly though I suppose. Thanks everyone for your help, you’ve been far more helpful than other forums I’ve been on.

Am I right in thinking you can put a higher speed/load rated tyre on without it causing an issue?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
FFS :mad:

Didn’t think I’d be replacing them again before handing them back. I’ve a good mind to go back to the place that sold me them and told me they’re the right ones. My fault for not looking into it properly though I suppose. Thanks everyone for your help, you’ve been far more helpful than other forums I’ve been on.

Am I right in thinking you can put a higher speed/load rated tyre on without it causing an issue?
Yes, too high is OK, but not too low

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Just be careful re tyres, as my wife's lease car contract small print actually states:

14(b) - Upon cessation of the lease and on return of the vehicle:

14(b)1: All fitted tyres and (if included) any spare tyre must be of original manufacturer specification, including brand, size, nomenclature etc.

14(b)2: A minimum of 3mm of tread must be present across the full width of all tyres and there must not be any cuts, abrasions, or other damage to any of the road wheels and/or tyres.

14(b)3: All tyres must be correctly inflated to manufacturers specification.
So, it could be worth checking the (very) small print on your lease agreement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! Really appreciate all this help.

Is it not frowned upon to put budgets on when returning the car? I thought it had to be a like for like swap with premium brand used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just be careful re tyres, as my wife's lease car contract small print actually states:

So, it could be worth checking the (very) small print on your lease agreement.
Sorry didn’t see this before I posted my last. My thoughts exactly, might have to locate some Contis so its been a like for like swap.
Will have a look at the lease contract later and double check.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to put part worn Tyres on a three year old car. They may have tread but I guarantee they will have been repaired with a plug.
Absolutely false economy and dangerous too!!
In general I do stay away from part worns but it's not fair to say all are dangerous. There are legitimate ways for part worns to re enter the market.

·
Registered
66 plate Sportage KX4
214 Posts
In general I do stay away from part worns but it's not fair to say all are dangerous. There are legitimate ways for part worns to re enter the market.
I agree, may just be from a car which is being scrapped, but could also potentially be from a crashed car - if sold by a proper scrappy you wouldn’t expect these to be sold on though!

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
My experience of handing back lease cars is that they're highly unlikely to notice the tyres are the wrong rating - all they will do is check the tyres for tread depth & cuts - if they're legal they won't really look any further.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I used to have access to an alloy wheel shop, or rather their incoming swapsies. Plenty of people upsizing alloys, and therefore tyres, I got some cracking deals. Until he sold up 😕
That's been my experience as well. If I have had to change tyres before handing back I have always put on part worns from a local dealer. They only bung the cars out into the trade.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.