Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I recall reading once that the (as was) 'Navteq', now 'Here' organisation, that produces mapping for our KIAs, among other makes, endeavoured to update about 15% of their maps annually.

Given that the maps built into our cars cover, not only the UK, but all of Europe, perhaps it is a bit of a stretch to imagine that every recent improvement, or addition/deletion of roadway will be bang-on, up-to-date in every neck of the woods.

Not even the mighty Google is that good, day-in, day-out!
As well as the built in satnav in my Kia, I also have a TomTom satnav and I get "free for life" (i.e. the life if the device!) map updates 4 times a year for UK and Europe (with a myriad of minor updates gleaned from users at other times). Whilst I would not necessarily expect updates to pick up minor amendments on minor roads, I would expect some effort to be made to incorporate significant changes to major routes (similar to those described in my post above) in a timely manner. These road changes do not occur overnight and there is plenty of warning during construction etc., that the map makers should be aware of.

If the best that Here can do is revisit 15% of their maps annually then I suggest they do need to up their game and if necessary increase their resources to do better. Kia only update maps once per year (on average) and by the time those are released they are at best months out of date. Yes, Google, which I also use, will not always be correct "day-in day out", but they are a lot better than a year or more out of date. The scale of the Here operation should not be the concern of users. It is up to Here to ensure that the offering to car manufacturers is as up to date as possible without the limitations of their resources being the major factor affecting accuracy. ,

Car manufacturers (and I do not mean just Kia) include satnav as a selling feature on their cars, and the least that owners can expect is that the offering is fit for purpose and not likely to direct you on to closed or illegal routes.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The scale of the Here operation should not be the concern of users. It is up to Here to ensure that the offering to car manufacturers is as up to date as possible
I can't argue with anything in your piece and I wish that 'Here' and KIA were more 'on-the-ball' with the accuracy of their content. Ponder the ownership of 'Here' for a moment and therein may lie a vested interest in releasing a certain level of map accuracy to Hyundai/KIA that keeps the Korean brands a little behind the major German brands. Surely they wouldn't do that........would they? :unsure:

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
127 Posts
The whole point of any update ought to be updating the maps to reflect the current road network. The A1/A14 opened fully in May 2020 with partial opening in December 2019, and so it is not unreasonable to expect the 2021 to include at least some of it (I assume when you say the dealer updated the 2020 version, he did so to a new 2021 version).
This is not the first time that a major route revision has taken too long to get on to the maps - I recall that the new Forth Crossing did not appear for ages with the satnav rouing you over the old bridge which was not a legal route for cars.
Nope, It was my annual April service and I paid £40 for the satnav to be updated (for the first time since I had bought the car), it was only a few weeks later that I found that it was updated with the 2020 update and not the 2021 as at that time there was a problem with the 2021 update that delayed it for a few weeks, however my dealer (Ringways Doncaster) couldn't be bothered to tell me that and just said that it was updated with the software that was working at that time and they wouldn't give me a free update of the 2021 software.

So just for the sake of giving me a free update they have now lost both myself and my wife (who has a picanto that needs changing soon) as customers.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
my dealer (Ringways Doncaster) couldn't be bothered to tell me that and just said that it was updated with the software that was working at that time and they wouldn't give me a free update of the 2021 software.

So just for the sake of giving me a free update they have now lost both myself and my wife (who has a picanto that needs changing soon) as customers.
Never had a problem with Ringways, but do use Leeds.

You may have also noticed that they have now become part of the D.M. Keith group...

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Nope, I didn't no that:unsure:
Okay please don't shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:
Kia have launched a DIY download site for media/sat nav updates here. However a word of warning, your dealer wasn't spinning a yarn, the current update is riddled with faults. I am still running the 2020 software and have no intention of updating until a bug free version has been released and proved to be okay.

·
Registered
Kia Optima 3 1.7CRDi (18 Plate)
3 Posts
Okay please don't shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:
Kia have launched a DIY download site for media/sat nav updates here. However a word of warning, your dealer wasn't spinning a yarn, the current update is riddled with faults. I am still running the 2020 software and have no intention of updating until a bug free version has been released and proved to be okay.
What faults are you experiencing? Updated a couple of days ago and haven’t came across any, I do use apple carplay most of the time but find the music playback is better through Bluetooth as the sound quality is better.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
What faults are you experiencing? Updated a couple of days ago and haven’t came across any, I do use apple carplay most of the time but find the music playback is better through Bluetooth as the sound quality is better.
As you will see from my post at #46 I haven't updated, and the thread I've linked to describes the issues people are having. However the problems seem to be specific to certain head units, which is why I would approach this with caution.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
@Danstewartcathrae

Hi & Welcome.

If you are feeling brave then this thread will give you a insight into the issue the November updates have thrown at users. You will maybe get through it by christmas day 🤣

·
Registered
Optima Sportwagon CRD 3 ISG DCT
43 Posts
Is this an SD card update you buy or is a software programme that you have to download and then install? I've seen the slot on the right of my screen but haven't ventured to open it and see what lurking there. Is this something only Kia can do or can buy the updated SD cardfrom them and di yourself??

Scrap that I've just seen the answer on another thread.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts