Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Had the 2021 update and was charged £40. The colours and presentation of the maps have had a major revamp. In my opinion, a backward step as the presentation is terrible and very hard to follow. No different colours for different class of road so no difference between motorway, trunk, major or minor. Whoever signed it off as 'fit for purpose' needs a real kick up the backside. Had I seen it beforehand I would not have had it installed. Save your money and wait to see if a later version reverts to the previous easy to read format.
I completely agree with your comments as regards the map colours and layout. I find the roads are too small and thin so you can't, at a glance, see what is going on and the colours are very muted.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
I completely agree with your comments as regards the map colours and layout. I find the roads are too small and thin so you can't, at a glance, see what is going on and the colours are very muted.
Have you tried all 3 styles?

·
Registered
Kia Soul sport
670 Posts
I get the feeling the colour has drained from the sat nav system with the new updates but the apps (which are rarely looked at)
are brighter

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
@Sad555 - Thank you, until I saw your images I didn't know you could change the background on the Android Auto home screen. Much nicer. (y)

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Sad555 - Thank you, until I saw your images I didn't know you could change the background on the Android Auto home screen. Much nicer. (y)
I like the way it treats junctions and find it a lot less confusing on which route to take. My beef is with the accuracy, especially travelling South on the A14. Despite this opening in 2019 and the map update is 2020, it doesn’t incorporate this new route. Also in our town of Sittingbourne it shows the old Papermill, this was demolished about 9 years ago and a new Morrisons and a housing estate were built on the land 5 years ago - don’t exist!!
I also think she says Way one or Way 12 instead of A1 or A12, might be a Korean with good English, but no understanding of road naming.
And who says A one thousand, six hundred and forty two? ITS THE A -1 - 6 -4 -2!!!!

·
Registered
740 Posts
I like the way it treats junctions and find it a lot less confusing on which route to take. My beef is with the accuracy, especially travelling South on the A14. Despite this opening in 2019 and the map update is 2020, it doesn’t incorporate this new route. Also in our town of Sittingbourne it shows the old Papermill, this was demolished about 9 years ago and a new Morrisons and a housing estate were built on the land 5 years ago - don’t exist!!
I also think she says Way one or Way 12 instead of A1 or A12, might be a Korean with good English, but no understanding of road naming.
And who says A one thousand, six hundred and forty two? ITS THE A -1 - 6 -4 -2!!!!
I have the latest up date and the new A14 round Huntingdon is there.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Well this years update has got a new roundabout that was only put in end of last year round us.
But In terms of road colours & not being able to tell minor from major roads. Just check google maps and it is the same.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,669 Posts
Reactions: mrjbh01

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
4,106 Posts
These look the same as the ones after last years update, so have they changed? I agree B terrible.

They need a graphics expert to advise on legibility & contrast, particularly in relation to lettering on grey transparent backgrounds that you need to be able to read quickly.
I notice no-one has commented on the new maps at night. They are so dark and the linework is so thin that, unless you are on a major road you might just as well be looking at a blank screen. Total carp!

Reactions: ooorya and Sad555

·
Registered
127 Posts
View attachment 10792 View attachment 10793 View attachment 10794 Examples of the three choices of colour. Sorry, thumbs down from me. :(
I fully agree with the colours they are cr*p in my opinion and the worst I have seen on any satnav in car or dash top, hardly any difference and at night you can't see many of the other roads. Plus it doesn't show built up areas, so when I went off the chosen route because of long delays on the motorway, on my detour I couldn't tell I would be going through built up areas.

I much prefered the previous software as it did show road works whereas this version in my car doesn't show some long standing 6 mile roadworks on the M180 plus coming to the end of the road works where the sign recognition had picked up the 50mph limit it didn't revert back to the national speed limit for several miles even though we passed the end of 50 limit with two large national speed limit signs.

With regards to the A1 / A14 turn off, my dealership uploaded the 2020 version in April of this year and it definitely doesn't show the new road plus I have noticed in other areas that have been long changed aren't shown correctly.

Still not impressed with it at all and rely on my TomTom dash top satnav.

·
Registered
310 Posts
With regards to the A1 / A14 turn off, my dealership uploaded the 2020 version in April of this year and it definitely doesn't show the new road plus I have noticed in other areas that have been long changed aren't shown correctly.
The whole point of any update ought to be updating the maps to reflect the current road network. The A1/A14 opened fully in May 2020 with partial opening in December 2019, and so it is not unreasonable to expect the 2021 to include at least some of it (I assume when you say the dealer updated the 2020 version, he did so to a new 2021 version).
This is not the first time that a major route revision has taken too long to get on to the maps - I recall that the new Forth Crossing did not appear for ages with the satnav rouing you over the old bridge which was not a legal route for cars.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The whole point of any update ought to be updating the maps to reflect the current road network.
I recall reading once that the (as was) 'Navteq', now 'Here' organisation, that produces mapping for our KIAs, among other makes, endeavoured to update about 15% of their maps annually.

Given that the maps built into our cars cover, not only the UK, but all of Europe, perhaps it is a bit of a stretch to imagine that every recent improvement, or addition/deletion of roadway will be bang-on, up-to-date in every neck of the woods.

Not even the mighty Google is that good, day-in, day-out!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts