Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,669 Posts
Hi,

I last had my 2017 Optima software/maps update in December 2019 and I believe a newer version was released sometime in 2020. Can anyone comment on wether anything of note came out in the latest release that would make the cost of a dealer update (£45?) worth it.

Cheers.
2020 SW Update made some significant changes to the visuals. Suggest you search the forum for the main SW thread for more info but a quick summary (but not all) is;

a) GPS Speed now displayed above the Road Speed Limit which has moved to the top left
b) map colours changed and option to select various shades (3 I think)
c) Junction graphic guide appears when in navigation, and approaching a junction, similar to the one that was delivered on Motorway diverging roads/turn outs.
d) Obviously Mapping updates have been made
e) warnings changed for speed / safety camera warnings and some changes in options
f) some changes to radio interface e.g. DAB station Logos changed
g) Street name now displayed in shaded banner at bottom of screen
h) think an option to select different route is now offered on navigation screen (but not yet seen this work)
i) mobile phone battery state display no longer shown on top 'connection' bar display

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,669 Posts
Hi Radiorail

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated. There's some nice additions there but I'm not sure I'd pay the update charge for them, particularly if it's as much as mr.macspot posted.
I was charged £40 - when associated with a service.

My main reason for upgrading is to get mapping updates - I have been caught out by new/changed road junctions (one causing a 5 mile detour) and getting speed limits updated (I have a Stonic which does not have a in car speed board reading camera) I am surrounded by country roads with illogical 60 / 50 zones & average speed zones so the car display gives a good confidence check.

BTW The 2020 update delivered considerably more visual/system 'improvements' than previous years so could be considered a 'major' upgrade.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,669 Posts
A month ago I bought a 2018 Optima Sportswagon and rang my nearest KIA dealer in Kent, they quoted £45.
Am since end lockdown at our other house in Northumberland and rang KIA dealer he quoted £25! I am sure as it is a labour intensive job wages in Kent are not 80% higher, also for what it is it smacks of profiteering, nothing like good customer relations to do this stuff for free! All it entails is sticking an SD card in a computer, doesn’t need a trained engineer for that.
The old Kia recommended price was £25 that recommendation increased last year to £40. Kia make the point though that a garage can charge what they like (AKA can get away with) !

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,669 Posts
Reactions: mrjbh01
1 - 4 of 4 Posts