Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
There is a speed alert when you enter a average speed camera zone if your speed will take you above the average. And the price is now £70, although some dealers appear to be quoting £40.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Hi mr.macspot

£70! SEVENTY!!!!

It used to be that Kia only permitted dealers to charge a flat £25, that's what my last update cost me. Did that go out of the window last year now that dealers are deperate to recoup lost income due to you-know-what?
Apologies I've made a typo, it should be £40 not £70.
It's all relative I suppose. If you look at the likes of Mercedes, BMW and the like it's three and four times more than that. And at least one manufacturer charges to set up the car for either Android or Apple. I don't think £40 is unreasonable, but that is just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Fair enough - I'll pay for the update then. I assume they'll be another update released around April so may wait for that first.
Usually updates are released in the second quarter of the year, except last year it was delayed until the September. My experience is that dealers start offering media/sat nav updates around June time and you have to request them, they are not done as part of the cars service.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Had the 2021 update and was charged £40. The colours and presentation of the maps have had a major revamp. In my opinion, a backward step as the presentation is terrible and very hard to follow. No different colours for different class of road so no difference between motorway, trunk, major or minor. Whoever signed it off as 'fit for purpose' needs a real kick up the backside. Had I seen it beforehand I would not have had it installed. Save your money and wait to see if a later version reverts to the previous easy to read format.
I don't look the map screen very much much while I'm driving, I just listen to the guidance and watch the road. But I think the colours are okay.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
@Sad555 - Thank you, until I saw your images I didn't know you could change the background on the Android Auto home screen. Much nicer. (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Nope, I didn't no that:unsure:
Okay please don't shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:
Kia have launched a DIY download site for media/sat nav updates here. However a word of warning, your dealer wasn't spinning a yarn, the current update is riddled with faults. I am still running the 2020 software and have no intention of updating until a bug free version has been released and proved to be okay.

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
What faults are you experiencing? Updated a couple of days ago and haven’t came across any, I do use apple carplay most of the time but find the music playback is better through Bluetooth as the sound quality is better.
As you will see from my post at #46 I haven't updated, and the thread I've linked to describes the issues people are having. However the problems seem to be specific to certain head units, which is why I would approach this with caution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts