Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I last had my 2017 Optima software/maps update in December 2019 and I believe a newer version was released sometime in 2020. Can anyone comment on wether anything of note came out in the latest release that would make the cost of a dealer update (£45?) worth it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi,

I last had my 2017 Optima software/maps update in December 2019 and I believe a newer version was released sometime in 2020. Can anyone comment on wether anything of note came out in the latest release that would make the cost of a dealer update (£45?) worth it.

Cheers.
2020 SW Update made some significant changes to the visuals. Suggest you search the forum for the main SW thread for more info but a quick summary (but not all) is;

a) GPS Speed now displayed above the Road Speed Limit which has moved to the top left
b) map colours changed and option to select various shades (3 I think)
c) Junction graphic guide appears when in navigation, and approaching a junction, similar to the one that was delivered on Motorway diverging roads/turn outs.
d) Obviously Mapping updates have been made
e) warnings changed for speed / safety camera warnings and some changes in options
f) some changes to radio interface e.g. DAB station Logos changed
g) Street name now displayed in shaded banner at bottom of screen
h) think an option to select different route is now offered on navigation screen (but not yet seen this work)
i) mobile phone battery state display no longer shown on top 'connection' bar display

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There is a speed alert when you enter a average speed camera zone if your speed will take you above the average. And the price is now £70, although some dealers appear to be quoting £40.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2020 SW Update made some significant changes to the visuals. Suggest you search the forum for the main SW thread for more info but a quick summary (but not all) is;

a) GPS Speed now displayed above the Road Speed Limit which has moved to the top left
b) map colours changed and option to select various shades (3 I think)
c) Junction graphic guide appears when in navigation, and approaching a junction, similar to the one that was delivered on Motorway diverging roads/turn outs.
d) Obviously Mapping updates have been made
e) warnings changed for speed / safety camera warnings and some changes in options
f) some changes to radio interface e.g. DAB station Logos changed
g) Street name now displayed in shaded banner at bottom of screen
h) think an option to select different route is now offered on navigation screen (but not yet seen this work)
i) mobile phone battery state display no longer shown on top 'connection' bar display
Hi Radiorail

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated. There's some nice additions there but I'm not sure I'd pay the update charge for them, particularly if it's as much as mr.macspot posted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a speed alert when you enter a average speed camera zone if your speed will take you above the average. And the price is now £70, although some dealers appear to be quoting £40.
Hi mr.macspot

£70! SEVENTY!!!!

It used to be that Kia only permitted dealers to charge a flat £25, that's what my last update cost me. Did that go out of the window last year now that dealers are deperate to recoup lost income due to you-know-what?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi Radiorail

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, much appreciated. There's some nice additions there but I'm not sure I'd pay the update charge for them, particularly if it's as much as mr.macspot posted.
I was charged £40 - when associated with a service.

My main reason for upgrading is to get mapping updates - I have been caught out by new/changed road junctions (one causing a 5 mile detour) and getting speed limits updated (I have a Stonic which does not have a in car speed board reading camera) I am surrounded by country roads with illogical 60 / 50 zones & average speed zones so the car display gives a good confidence check.

BTW The 2020 update delivered considerably more visual/system 'improvements' than previous years so could be considered a 'major' upgrade.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi mr.macspot

£70! SEVENTY!!!!

It used to be that Kia only permitted dealers to charge a flat £25, that's what my last update cost me. Did that go out of the window last year now that dealers are deperate to recoup lost income due to you-know-what?
Ah £70. I dream of £70. My previous manufacturer wanted best part of £200 to update the HERE maps once, released 4 times a year. I graciously declined and bought a Garmin with Lifetime Map Updates for &170.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi mr.macspot

£70! SEVENTY!!!!

Apologies I've made a typo, it should be £40 not £70.
It's all relative I suppose. If you look at the likes of Mercedes, BMW and the like it's three and four times more than that. And at least one manufacturer charges to set up the car for either Android or Apple. I don't think £40 is unreasonable, but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fair enough - I'll pay for the update then. I assume they'll be another update released around April so may wait for that first.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Fair enough - I'll pay for the update then. I assume they'll be another update released around April so may wait for that first.
Usually updates are released in the second quarter of the year, except last year it was delayed until the September. My experience is that dealers start offering media/sat nav updates around June time and you have to request them, they are not done as part of the cars service.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts