Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused by two options that seem very similar. My car has Lane Following Assist and Lane Safety Assist, both say they actively keep the car in lane by adjusting the steering and as far as I can see both are switched off by the Lane button on the dash, am I missing something and if I deselect either or both of these are they then Normally off but selectable using the Lane button?

·
Registered
251 Posts
LFA is on when you're using SCC.

LSA/Lane Keeping Assist is for manual driving or "dumb" cruise control.

There should be some options under Driver Assistance in the user menu for whether you want the system to control the car or simply beep at you if you drift out of lane.

The button on the dash turns the whole system off. It will be on again the next time you start the car though.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LFA is on when you're using SCC.

LSA/Lane Keeping Assist is for manual driving or "dumb" cruise control.

There should be some options under Driver Assistance in the user menu for whether you want the system to control the car or simply beep at you if you drift out of lane.

The button on the dash turns the whole system off. It will be on again the next time you start the car though.
Thanks for this, I was literally just reading the paper manual when your post popped up. 🤣

I guess this means there is no point deselecting LKA in the head unit menus as it will automatically be set again when you switch the ignition on. I assumed this would be the case as LKA is an NCAP requirement.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Frankly all these "driver assists" are a monumental PITA in my opinion.

The FCA system which relies solely on the camera is "easily confused". That's the kindest way I can put it but in truth its actually dangerous. I've lost count of the times its frantically beeped at me in exactly the same spot - where a single carriageway becomes dual and the speed limit increases. This happens on a bend and the system just loses the plot completely. To be fair the manual does mention this might happen. Thankfully I can turn it off and have it stay off.

The only good thing about LKA/LFA is it enforces indicating to change lanes, so might improve some peoples' driving. It really doesn't work well anywhere urban/suburban other than dual carriageways. Just have to get into the habit of turning it off every time you start the car.

Basic cruise control is OK.

Smart - I dunno. I commented on another thread that its not great being behind a car on SCC. The brake lights are on and off like xmas tree lights. It's not just your car that does it - was following a EV Porsche a while back & his brakes were on more often than not. That might be energy recovery for the battery right enough but ICE cars do it as well (hello Audi!).

Also if there's 50m between you and the car in front then I guarantee someone will pull into that space at some point - usually perfectly safely. This triggers the car on SCC to put on the brakes to get to the required "safe" distance and then there's a concertina effect behind it.

Sorry, went a bit off-topic....

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't disagree with you although coming from an A Class where many functions just didn't work as expected my Xceed is a breath of fresh air 🤣

You mention the FCA feature which I take to mean a camera only speed sign system, from what you describe you are lucky not to have an A Class with their standard Speed Sign Assist which not only has all the usual 'camera saw it wrong' issues but outside urban areas more often than not shows the wrong or no speed symbol because although its supposed to be a camera only system it is also being fed with some garbage from elsewhere because it would just flash up a new speed symbol out of the blue with no speed sign in sight. I filmed a 1 hour drive which showed 26 errors or roughly one every 2 minutes but MB told me this was how it was intended to work 🤣

·
Registered
251 Posts
FCA = Forward Collision Avoidance & comes in various levels.

The most basic & in all Kia models post 2019 is the camera above/inside the rear view mirror assembly - also used for LKA/LFA.

More expensive versions supposedly have the ability to recognise pedestrians and also use radar to supplement the camera.

Basically it beeps at you when it thinks you're going to hit something and if you don't respond it slams on the brakes.

It sounds like a good idea but I don't believe it reacts fast enough to be of any use provided the driver is half-awake.

If everyone is using all this automation then I can see it working better but that's a few years off.

For now if you leave spaces like SCC does then you'll have someone human using them to get through traffic like the ancient arcade game "Frogger" :D That unfortunately has the above-mentioned concertina effect on traffic behind.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FCA = Forward Collision Avoidance & comes in various levels.

The most basic & in all Kia models post 2019 is the camera above/inside the rear view mirror assembly - also used for LKA/LFA.

More expensive versions supposedly have the ability to recognise pedestrians and also use radar to supplement the camera.

Basically it beeps at you when it thinks you're going to hit something and if you don't respond it slams on the brakes.

It sounds like a good idea but I don't believe it reacts fast enough to be of any use provided the driver is half-awake.

If everyone is using all this automation then I can see it working better but that's a few years off.

For now if you leave spaces like SCC does then you'll have someone human using them to get through traffic like the ancient arcade game "Frogger" :D That unfortunately has the above-mentioned concertina effect on traffic behind.
Ah sorry excuse my ignorance I'm still not up to speed on the Kia acronyms yet. I haven't encountered an issue with this on my Xceed but the A Class has a similar system which quite often slammed on the brakes when it saw someone walking on the pavement or on one occasion a crisp packet blowing across the road, Mercedes consider this to be perfectly normal :rolleyes:

But we digress, sorry

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't think anyone minds us rambling ;)

Your car will be using radar as well as the camera for FCA so it should be somewhat more reliable than camera/radar-only.

You should still be able to turn it off under "driver assistance" menu.

Personally I think I'm far more likely to have an accident while trying to work out why the car is steering/braking/beeping than I would be without all this "help".

If we fast-forward 10-15 years then I suspect threads like this will be viewed as "what the f...were they thinking?" :rolleyes:

For example I doubt you'll have many driving instructors still plying their trade 20 years down the line - self-driving cars are the logical choice to put learners in. I can see various types of license/test too - just like motorcycles or automatic car licenses. Easy enough to change the level of control the driver is given appropriately and then they do the test.

·
Registered
71 Posts

The FCA system which relies solely on the camera is "easily confused". That's the kindest way I can put it but in truth its actually dangerous. I've lost count of the times its frantically beeped at me in exactly the same spot - where a single carriageway becomes dual and the speed limit increases. This happens on a bend and the system just loses the plot completely. To be fair the manual does mention this might happen. Thankfully I can turn it off and have it stay off.

The only good thing about LKA/LFA is it enforces indicating to change lanes, so might improve some peoples' driving. It really doesn't work well anywhere urban/suburban other than dual carriageways. Just have to get into the habit of turning it off every time you start the car.

Basic cruise control is OK.

Smart - I dunno. I commented on another thread that its not great being behind a car on SCC. The brake lights are on and off like xmas tree lights. It's not just your car that does it - was following a EV Porsche a while back & his brakes were on more often than not. That might be energy recovery for the battery right enough but ICE cars do it as well (hello Audi!).

Also if there's 50m between you and the car in front then I guarantee someone will pull into that space at some point - usually perfectly safely. This triggers the car on SCC to put on the brakes to get to the required "safe" distance and then there's a concertina effect behind it.

Sorry, went a bit off-topic....
They are a PITA because they default to 'on' when the engine is manually started. I do not want either stop/start or Lane Keeping assist 'on' every time I start the car. The first thing I do is waste time switching them off as soon as the engine is started. If I lived in a town or just off a dual carriageway or straight highway, then yes I would use them, but I don't.
These things should default to their last setting before the engine was killed. That would give those that wanted one or both either on or off the choice of having it as they liked on every cold start.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are a PITA because they default to 'on' when the engine is manually started. I do not want either stop/start or Lane Keeping assist 'on' every time I start the car. The first thing I do is waste time switching them off as soon as the engine is started. If I lived in a town or just off a dual carriageway or straight highway, then yes I would use them, but I don't.
These things should default to their last setting before the engine was killed. That would give those that wanted one or both either on or off the choice of having it as they liked on every cold start.
I quite agree but some of these are mandated by NCAP so they have to be ON

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
I don't think anyone minds us rambling ;)
I do :rolleyes: keep your rambling to the hobbies thread in main section please 😂😂

As far as I'm aware all Kia have the radar under the front bumper (behind the square plastic) as well

By warning and braking automatically, the FCA system assists you in avoiding or mitigating an accident. A radar on the car's front bumper and a camera on the windscreen monitor for hazards on the horizon, such as pedestrians or other cars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
As far as I'm aware all Kia have the radar under the front bumper (behind the square plastic) as well
I thought that as well but the "2" or "2NAV" Ceeds don't have radar, its just the camera, which as stated in the manual has issues with curves in the road, hills, lane changing etc etc. I assume similar "2" specs on other Kia models are the same.

Basically it seems that if the car has SCC or FCA with pedestrian detection then it has the forward facing radar module and none of the "2" specs have the FCA City/Pedestrian system other than as an option (£250 as of June 2020).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.