Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a test at the weekend in a EV6 GT-Line S RWD and was very impressed with everything about the car…..except the lack of rear wiper.
I’m looking at getting GT-Line S AWD with heat pump in the red. Haven’t decided yet on paint protection or GAP insurance.

Does any one lucky enough to have already taken ownership of there EV6 have any comments/issues with this lack of rear wiper?

I look forward to any comments regarding this or any other issues since taking ownership you have found with the car.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
From looking at the reviews on EV6 & Ionic5 which also has not rear wiper it is a issue to many of them.

As the rear screen still gets dirty driving or covered in condensation while parked up & no easy way to clear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.
I’m wondering if one of the rain repellent products you can coat glass with would help with condensation/rain, although this wouldn’t help with screen getting dirty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Went for a test at the weekend in a EV6 GT-Line S RWD and was very impressed with everything about the car…..except the lack of rear wiper.
I’m looking at getting GT-Line S AWD with heat pump in the red. Haven’t decided yet on paint protection or GAP insurance.

Does any one lucky enough to have already taken ownership of there EV6 have any comments/issues with this lack of rear wiper?

I look forward to any comments regarding this or any other issues since taking ownership you have found with the car.
I would recommend the paint protection but would swerve the GAP..

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
347 Posts
I would not bother with the paint protection or the GAP insurance, they're both just money makers for the dealer.

As for the wiper, there was the same discussion about the 8th gen Honda Civic but it was never any worse than a saloon car and people don't complain that they don't have rear wipers. If it's like the Civic then the rear of the car has been designed so it doesn't attract the normal spray you get with most hatchbacks.

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6t petrol. 174bhp
14 Posts
I would not bother with the paint protection or the GAP insurance, they're both just money makers for the dealer.

As for the wiper, there was the same discussion about the 8th gen Honda Civic but it was never any worse than a saloon car and people don't complain that they don't have rear wipers. If it's like the Civic then the rear of the car has been designed so it doesn't attract the normal spray you get with most hatchbacks.
I think its just peace of mind I went for it but not from the dealer like you say they double or triple the amount just to make money, gap insurers no doubt would make it as difficult as they could to pay out anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have always previously had on new cars both paint protection and GAP insurance (GAP not through dealer). But am thinking as I’ve never had to use GAP insurance, is it worth it (apart from peace of mind) and paint protection, I don’t know how much this is actually protecting the paint?

The dealer when I spoke to them about the lack of rear wiper did say the rear windscreen/spoiler have been designed to not require a wiper, but on my test drive weather was dry….and I don’t know if they are just saying that as an answer to my question🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
232 Posts
I can't speak for the EV6 but the Niro's rear end is like a dirt magnet on steroids. On a dirty winter's day I'd be getting out of the car every 15 minutes to clean it off by hand if it weren't for the rear wiper.

·
Registered
Sportage GT-Line 1.6t petrol. 174bhp
14 Posts
I have always previously had on new cars both paint protection and GAP insurance (GAP not through dealer). But am thinking as I’ve never had to use GAP insurance, is it worth it (apart from peace of mind) and paint protection, I don’t know how much this is actually protecting the paint?

The dealer when I spoke to them about the lack of rear wiper did say the rear windscreen/spoiler have been designed to not require a wiper, but on my test drive weather was dry….and I don’t know if they are just saying that as an answer to my question🤷🏻‍♂️
I never had a rear wiper on my last car (Volvo s60) it was a pain on cold mornings and the windows was covered in wet/damp moisture and at night when it was raining it was difficult seeing anything reversing so relied more on wing mirrors and sensors. I cannot answer directly on this model of car and how it effects visibility etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't speak for the EV6 but the Niro's rear end is like a dirt magnet on steroids. On a dirty winter's day I'd be getting out of the car every 15 minutes to clean it off by hand if it weren't for the rear wiper.
I also can't speak for the EV6, or even any EV, but my Ceed's aerodynamics continually sling every drop of water and dirt over the rear window whenever there is a hint of rain or just a wet road surface. Wiper is essential. Just because saloon car drivers have to suffer it is no reason for us hatch guys to be stuck in the same boat.

Maybe reversing cameras can help when manoeuvring, but I wouldn't be too happy to drive along with all the rearward visibility of a truck driver.

I won't be placing an order until Hyundai/Kia see sense. Perhaps they will never see because their windows are too filthy. ;-)

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
347 Posts
Looks the same as the Civic so it should be fine, the only issue is you have to clear the screen first thing in the morning if there is any condensation.

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
6,868 Posts
That's Kia/Hyundai stance...
Seems actual users disagree.

Personally, on Stonic & previous Picanto the rear wiper never got used. Got wing mirrors to see behind.
But as @AlunS points out Niro has a backend that is like a magnet as far as spray goes... So as I now have a rear dash camera. I have to use it....

·
Registered
873 Posts
I thought the rear screen on Civic was brilliant, not having to constantly be fighting the spray and muck with a wiper.
I think the rake helped a lot and as I say it never got filthy but it was enough to annoy me. The 'magic' seats more than made up for it. 😁
My ceed on the other hand, sucks in rain and dirt better than a brand new dyson.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had the 2.2cdti and put 120k on the clock in the six years I had it. The only time it ever failed me was a puncture. Loved the power although it was a bit dull to drive, mileage stopped me going for the type r. The week I got it I decided to drive to Amsterdam, just to get to know the car. It didn't disappoint. 😁

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sloped rear Screens don't seem to attract so much dirt as the flatter ones.
My old Ceed would get very dirty. Similar shape to the Stonic mentioned above.
My Mazda 6 Hatch doesn't.
The iPace has a similar rear profile to the EV6 and an owner above reports no issues with not having a wiper.

I had Paint protection on my Ceed and was impressed with it.
Would have been cheaper to DIY (if I could have been bothered) or getting a detailer to do it.
Was more convenient getting the Dealer to do it before I picked it up.

Gap Insurance is usually cheaper elsewhere.
Have not had a Car on Finance for many Years and always buy used, so have never bought myself.

Saw an EV6 in the flesh a couple of Weeks ago and looks very nice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts