Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a rather scary thing happen the other day, was pulling out of a junction went to accelerate and nothing, no power at all, had foot flat to the floor and no power, the engine was just ticking over for about 20 seconds then rather jerkily the acceleration came back to me, this had happened a couple of times previously but i thought that it was maybe the carpet getting caught under the pedal and after hoovering the car out it hadn't happened again till the other day. Went into the dealers yesterday and the chap there said not to use the eco button until they see the car (it's booked in for tuesday). I was just wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this. Ours is a soul facelift model diesel auto, we only got it in Oct, apart from this problem the car has been a dream and we love it to bits

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sounds like the EGR is faulty (Exhaust gas recirculation valve)... They can soot up and fail after 2 or 3 years..... but i never heard of one failing so soon. Keep us informed. If i am right in my diagnosis - its an easy fix/replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just out of interest! when should the ECO button be used?? mine has been on since I got the car in January, I did turn it off once and the only difference I noticed was the gear change indicator didn't show on the cluster ,,,,
Regards Mowjo,,,

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the eco button on the automatic will change the gears a bit sooner at lower revs.... thus saving a bit of fuel. Use it all the time and just switch it off when your in a hurry and doing some overtaking.Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we took our soul over to the dealers this morning and they hooked it up to the diagnostic PC and found no faults, the reason that they gave us for the lack of power was that that there is a computer bit that learns how you drive the car, and also for us to only use the Eco button on longer trips and not around town.. They said to let them know if we have any more problems. The service guy said he's also experienced the problem himself on another kia. Not heard of the learn to drive bit before (is it witchcraft?), have i been fobbed off? It's just that the lack of power is always in the back of your mind when pulling away from junctions now.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the Auto gearbox car does have the ability to learn your driving habits, but the excuse sounds like a crock of sh*t to me!...... if a car dosent accelerate properly, its a fault!!. The learning mode happens inside the first 6 weeks and is mainly whether you like the car to accelerate quickly through the gears or gently... ie it will hold the gears longer or change up early. Quite what happens if the car has two regular different drivers is anyones guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Two days ago I experienced the same problem on my Hunter diesel automatic (purchased in November 2011). At a road junction with offset traffic lights, I had to wait for the car in front to turn off. I then pressed the accelerator to move on but nothing happened. The engine stayed at tickover speed, and I am left in the middle of the junction as the lights started to change. After a few seconds of releasing and pressing the accelerator pedal the engine decided to respond.I contacted the dealer who asked me to take the car in, which I did. They connected up the diagnostics and informed me that no fault had been reported. They suggested it may have been caused by a dodgy electrical connection, so they checked all the fittings. They also re-programmed the ECU.
I am hoping this does not happen again, but as it was a bit scary.
I will say that the dealers, F J Chalke in Mere, were excellent. There was no quibbling and they dealt with the problem immediately.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also had a scary moment pulling out of a junction and up here we haven't got the space for a car to freeze up as it did! Really frightening though I now approach junctions more cautiously and I'm glad you mentioned the Eco button as mine is on too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hiya

We had the same problem with "Thing". Got the RAC out in the end and found oil leaking from turbo hoses. Took the the dealer and replaced the hoses and the turbo as said it was on it way out.

Our soul was like it since had the car and the useless dealer we got it from found no fault when I complained after two weeks of owning the car. Took for the RAC and Allen Kia Bath to sort it thankfully and now the car goes like a little pocket rocket for the first time in 1yr 3 months.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Dee

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just shows that a good dealer is the key to better KIA motoring. I think that Kia have to come down hard on their dealer network now or they will regret it.They are starting to get a bad reputation with some of the dealers and this will mean that sales will suffer and mud sticks, all dealers will get tarred with the same brush as you know yourself nobody wants to know the good side only the bad side.All cars made suffer from faults including brands like Merc,Audi,R Royce and Beemers so a quick solution to any problems is paramount to maintain a good reputation.Look at the bad period that Merc had a few years ago when they lost the plot with their customers.
Just a point,when you start a diesel I follow the manual which states that you need to let it tick over at the start to let the oil circulait into the turbo and on shutdown let it tickover before turning off.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just to make you feel a little better 1.3 mill BMW 5 and 6s have just been subject to a worldwide recall to rectify a wiring fault !It does not matter who makes them they all make mistakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.