Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sportage has developed a very evident rattle around the mid to rear driver's side sunroof. This mainly happens on slightly uneven roads and rarely on smooth tarmac. It does not matter whether the roof is open or closed and from what I have read from the experience of Stinger owners it can be something to do with the roof rails and that this may well need the drastic action of removing many parts to assess.

I have checked the seals and they all seem good and all the runners are lubricated (I can see white grease). The roof operates without any issue. Yet there is something in the set-up that is allowing contact between two parts to cause the rattle. I am baffled and wonder if anyone has experienced this and found a solution.

I am due to visit a KIA dealer on Friday to have it looked at but am aware that I may well encounter KIA's 'family like care' when it comes to any warranty claim!

Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi had the same issue with my 2014 sportage traced it down to the sliding sunroof cover had to make sure i pushed it right up when closed it no more rattles just a thought

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi had the same issue with my 2014 sportage traced it down to the sliding sunroof cover had to make sure i pushed it right up when closed it no more rattles just a thought
Thanks, I did try pushing the front panel when closed but it seemed really secure with no movement that I could detect. Will give it another try tomorrow though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You're not alone, mine rattles as well. I'll be interested in the outcome

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're not alone, mine rattles as well. I'll be interested in the outcome
I will update after my visit to Allingtons tomorrow.
I checked the front panel as suggested by robthedarter above, but it is really solid and shows not even the slightest movement. The issue I think is more to do with the way the car body flexes under certain road conditions but hope to learn more tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rattle remains.

Allingtons took the trouble to check fittings and apply more lube but this has not remedied the issue.

Now booked in early October to enable them to remove the liner and make a more considered assessment. Understandably they are unable to confirm whether this will be covered by the KIA warranty until they have located the problem. I have no reason to doubt that Allingtons will do their utmost to be helpful.

My view is that there is something inherently wrong with the fitting and that should be covered by the warranty.
I would still however like to know why this happening!

Will update after next garage visit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts