Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll get round to a video and pictures at some point because so many are the LHD model or non UK..... anyway, had the beast for a day and its very nice.

The pros, very smooth ride, potholes are easily dealt with, very comfortable and plenty of room in the back. Took a run and so far on the trip its well under 30 MPG average but only done 150 miles so nothing major to worry about just now.

Its a cracking looking car, I have the white paint and its turned MANY heads over the last two days as the black alloys look a great contrast. Body shape is fantastic, a shame all KIAs aren't like.

Steering is very good, light and yet substantial, the steering wheel is chunky and the gear changes are easy, nice easily navigable box for shifts. Can't say I'm mad on the actual gear knob itself, not very aesthic, the 6 speed one looks a lot nicer and the gater looks different.

Like the fact that there's space under the boot for hiding away petrol can and bits and pieces.

I thought the sliding sunroof was more electric than what it is. Both panels have a manual shade which you pull over, I'd seen videos where the rear one was electric, no biggy, just different to how I'd imagined it.

Visibility to the front could be better, the pillar is quite thick and means a bit more leaning out in some cases, the rear view could have been bigger but to be honest, I actually think the mirror is the problem as its quite narrow. I would change it but its got the auto dim function which seems to default back to on when I start up, I'd like it to remain off.

My main gripes are the power and the sat nav. Now I've come from an RX8 so I appreciate that I'm going to notice a massive difference, but I thought the 2 litre would have a bit more punch, on several occasions I've actually though it struggled and have had to shift down. I would have liked a bit more oomph, maybe a 2.2 would have been more appropriate but it would push up insurance. I've heard there's a turbo but not sure if its planned for the UK and not sure if there's any aftermarket option.

Second gripe is the sat nav unit. PLEASE KIA, tell me the unit is upgradable with firmware as it lasks a few things. The 3D view ain't great and the unit doesn't pick up speed cameras!! C'mon this should be standard. Also the navigation of the song on my iphone is terribly slow. And the sat nav doesn't have postcode entry - are you serious?? If anyone has managed this or I'm just not seeing it can you tell me? If this is the case you have to enter the town and the street. I could be halfway there by the time I put all that in. The view is pretty bland, no TomTom style 3D, its much flatter. And do I have to accept your warning message about driving and looking at a screen each time I put the unit on? I'm going to get sick of that. I also want to change the splash screen but haven't seen how I do that yet.

I had thought that I could stream music direct to the unit without the cable ie cordless via the bluetooth. So far I haven't managed this with my iPhone 4. Is it possible? Someone can help me - apologies I've not had as much time to mess around with everything as I'd hoped. I'd like wireless streaming. Navigating the songs on my phone is laborious. The touch screen is slow to react to selection and I've had to tell the wife not to push, just touch as it's not receptive. Voice dialling has failed on all ocassions.

Once the iphone is plugged in, you can only control music via the head unit, not via your phone. I have tried it with just a USB cable yet and its no different, the head unit is the only way to control things on both an iPod and an iPhone. Finally I've heard you can play videos. I have a music video on my iPod but can't seem to play it - in fact I can't find it as the head unit only finds the music and of course I can't use the ipod as its over ridden by the head unit. Album art would have been nice if it showed up. The reverse camera is nice but I think you'll really only use it for distance at the back rather than the side cos you'll likely hit something on your corners if you rely on it solely.

So please someone tell me that there are firmwares for this planned?

One of my keys is a bit slow to open and lock, surely it can't be the batteries.

So there may seem like more gripes, I went for the sat nav as a luxury - if you're considering itn then I'd look at the after market options but don't be put off! The driving experience is excellent, and thats the main thing. Its very smooth and it feels luxurious. It turns heads and I think its better looking that the Qashquai and most other SUVs out there, it maybe edges over the Kuga for exterior looks as well. I hope the MPG gets better, I'm averaging 26 but as I said its very early days.

Haven't been able to test the AWD yet as its been beautiful weather in Scotland unusually. I'm praying for several winters of snow though so I can drive round BMWs LOL.

If anyone has any questions I'll try and answer them if you are thinking on buying and I'll get some video of the inside soon as I feel there's not a lot on youtube.

Edited by: HGF69

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have the KX3 2ltr diesel with the sat Nav on order. Not very technical so all I want is a SatNav that is easy to use and works properly, i am somewhat disappointed with your views on it. Have been use to a simple TT in the past and was hoping for something easier to view and can't believe it does not use post codes!!!

thanks agin for the update.

Andrew

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said, I've not had a great deal of time to play around with it and I'm HOPING someone can prove me wrong, and answer the queries I have too.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi HGF69,
Thanks for the comprehensive report.
I have now done 3500 miles on mine and getting 37 MPG on the motorway (Autobahn) at 80 MPH.
Driven at 60 on A roads I've got 43. So with time yours should improve.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The Sat Nav, like you I am very disappointed. It is very basic KIA could have done better here.
It is in desperate need of a firmware update (if it is possible).
Someone called me the other day and when I hung up I realised that there was no voice command during this period.... so U turn at next motorway exit!!
So basically the Sat Nav is appalling.

The only other gripe I have is the Gear Box.... when it's cold it is very stiff.

Otherwise I am very pleased it is smooth to drive and rides the bumps better than it predecessor.
Overtaking, found myself hitting the red line a few times only because of a short rev range and you don't really hear the engine screaming.

In the snow & ice I encountered in Germany it was no problem at all, sure footed all the time.
I'm a bit of a luddite, but finally worked out how to put a video on YouTube of when I had a chance to have a play with plenty of space around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqPml7uczjg

·
Registered
176 Posts
You are probably aware that this is the same sat nav system as used in the IX35 Made by LG. If you google search you will find several entries regarding this system under Hyundai ix35 sat nav.

Andrew

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant guys thanks, now why couldn't KIA get that up on their site?

Will try the updates and see what happens.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aCTUALLY i MIGHT NOT AS i'LL END UP WITH A hYUNDAI SPLASH SCREEN lol

OOps sorry about the caps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have contacted Kia about the satnav. Apparently, you can enter partial postcodes. They are posting me the instructions. They say these instructions are not in the manual.
Personally, I am appalled that such an expensive system cannot accept postcodes. Even a 5 year old cheapy can do that!!

Their advertising says '6.5" Touchscreen Full Map Navigation System' which you would expect to have postcodes.

My son's 5 year old Jaguar has a Navteq based system and that takes postcodes. I guess Kia didn't pay for top spec Navteq software?

The other gripe was that you can't turn off the radio and still have just navigation and phone working.

The only work-around I have found is to turn the radio volume right down. OK but every time you re-start the car, the volume returns to default and must be turned down again.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rung Kia today and apparantly they are working at getting the info regarding Sat Nav on there site. However it is work in progress and the chap could not give me a date.

Do you get the traffic information, hold up's etcon the sat nav in the UK.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i think you can set the default volume sure i saw that whilst playing around
when you get the instructions can you put them up on here

regarding the splash screen if its in the firmware change that means it could be altered to any image you want sure some one will crack this at some point as well as using your screen to view whats on your phone screen iv seen it on utube

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
This is the answer I got from Navteq when I asked them for updates for Their Product!! (Nov 2010)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

NAVTEQ is the database supplier for many different navigation systems on the market. However, at this moment we do not handle the distribution of products for your navigation system.

To receive information regarding products for your navigation system, we recommend you to contact your Kia dealer directly.
In an effort to maintain the highest level of service please take a few moments to complete our Customer Satisfaction Survey. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Your responses will help us to better target our services to meet your needs. Please note that your responses will be kept confidential. Thank you in advance for your participation.<O:p></O:p>

With kind regards,

NAVTEQ Customer Service Centre
PO Box 501
7300 AM APELDOORN
THE NETHERLANDS
www.navteq.com/contactus<O:p></O:p>Edited by: ianv

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
staffordshirechina said:
I have contacted Kia about the satnav. Apparently, you can enter partial postcodes. They are posting me the instructions. They say these instructions are not in the manual.
Personally, I am appalled that such an expensive system cannot accept postcodes. Even a 5 year old cheapy can do that!!

Their advertising says '6.5" Touchscreen Full Map Navigation System' which you would expect to have postcodes.

My son's 5 year old Jaguar has a Navteq based system and that takes postcodes. I guess Kia didn't pay for top spec Navteq software?

The other gripe was that you can't turn off the radio and still have just navigation and phone working.

The only work-around I have found is to turn the radio volume right down. OK but every time you re-start the car, the volume returns to default and must be turned down again.
And they are pulling together a site to have specific KIA satnav updates but their head office can't tell me when it will be up and running, just that its work in progress !!!!?????

Sub-standard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts