Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody noticed the black parts of the alloy wheels a couple of mine the black paint has started to feel rough and pitted only had the car 8 weeks have too keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had white spots appearing on the silver parts of the wheels on my FE which is caused by moisture getting under the laquer which is a known fault apparently, something to do with the laquer being damaged when the tyres were fitted due to the sharp edge on the rim, but I had mine replaced under warranty and these wheels seem to have more of a rolled edgeso I would suggest you keep a close eye on them, i think the road salt last winter made the problem more noticable with mine because the spots just seemed to appear between washes

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I found some lumps on the black paint when I first got mine, but on closer examination it was the underseal the factory had sprayed on the underside of the car that got onto the wheels.
As for corrosion on the silver parts, I wiped LPS 1 on them during the winter months because of the salt... so far so good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
<TABLE height=848 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=875 align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =prodname2 =#ffffff colSpan=2 height=10>
"what is LPS 1? "

LPS 1 <SUP>®</SUP> Premium Lubricant
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top align=left =#ffffff colSpan=2>
<UL =big_bullets>
<LI =bullets>Provides a dry, thin, greaseless lubricating film

<LI =bullets>Resists oil, dust and dirt build-up

<LI =bullets>Fast acting penetration

<LI =bullets>Displaces moisture on electrical components and delicate mechanisms

<LI =bullets>Loosens rusted or frozen parts

<LI =bullets>Provides a short term, light, corrosion resistant barrier

<LI =bullets>Non-conductive

<LI =bullets>Ideal for delicate mechanisms

<LI =bullets>Used worldwide in aviation

<LI =bullets>Safe on paint and most plastics </LI>[/list]</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank you. Where can you buy this from? I have seen a website that sells it but can it be sourced elsewhere? Sounds perfect for our winters!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can only second the above,

Where in the UK can we source this?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Now i have had my wheels replaced under warranty i dont want a repeat of the problem i had, I have tried wheel wax before but haven't been impressed with it so want to give this a go but how often would you need to apply it

·
Registered
48 Posts

www.acf-50.co.uk

ACF-50 ""“ aircraft protection for motorcycles and cars - kills corrosion on Contact
ACF-50 (Anti Corrosion Formula) was originally designed for the aerospace industry to protect
aircraft from existing and new corrosion and is now available to motorists and motorcyclists.
ACF-50 forms an ultra thin clear film that will kill any existing corrosion cells. One application
will last up to twelve months in unexposed areas.
More exposed areas will need topping up more regularly. ACF-50 has the ability to
chemically neutralise road salt, and water will bead on contact and literally run off.
It is an ultra Thin Fluid Film Compound (TFFC) that actively treats metal
using advanced polar bonding technology. ACF-50's synthetic inhibitors and
active chemistry penetrates through oxide deposits (white powder) to the base
of the corrosion cell where it emulsifies, encapsulates and then lifts
moisture (the electrolyte of a corrosion cell) away from the metal surface.
ACF-50 then allows the moisture to evaporate while providing an atmospheric
barrier that prevents further moisture contact. With the electrolyte removed
the corrosion process is halted. ACF-50's thin film acts like an off-switch for corrosion.
ACF-50 is 95% product hence virtually no propellant. Keep the tin in a warm
room, shake well before use to activate propellant and remember, a little
ACF-50 goes a long way, so keep a rag handy to soak up any excess then use the
rag to help spread the product. ACF-50 has strong capillary action so will
creep into all the areas that moisture has penetrated, actively pushing out
the moisture and replacing it with protection. Go cautiously when applying to
brake calipers to ensure keeping off discs and pads. Otherwise use ACF-50
anywhere including the engine and exhaust (it will smoke on first start up but
the corrosion process is still slowed down). Safe on paintwork, most rubbers
and improves the appearance of black plastic trim.
ACF-50 is approved for electrics so spray directly into electrical joints and
components where it will prevent corrosion induced failures. It will not
provide a conducting path between pins in plugs, etc, nor increase resistance
in joints. You can tell when the product is still active as water will bead on contact.
ACF-50 only dissipates by being sacrificial whilst stopping existing or new corrosion,
so just re-treat as required
Spec 81309 type II approval which means ACF-50 is approved for ferrous and
non-ferrous metals, electrical systems and electronic components
Chemically neutralises the corrosive effects of road salt
Easily applied ""“ non drying, ultra thin clear film
Contains no water, silicon, Teflon or wax ""“ no sticky build-up, no risk of
existing corrosion being sealed in and no risk of water remaining where it
will cause corrosion and damage electrics
Active - which means that it creeps and keeps on working
Economical - 95% product and a little goes a long way
Doesn't need reapplying after every wash! ACF-50 will last up to twelve
months in unexposed areas.On more exposed areas re-treat as necessary
Safe to use almost anywhere (but go easy on the calipers due to the need to
avoid the disk and pads)

·
Registered
48 Posts

I honestly do not know which is best but I intend using ACF50. Reason; saw several reports from motorcycle magazines, discussing the alloy corrosion problem ( lots of alloy casings wheels etc on motorcycles VERY exposed to road salt, dirt etc).One magazine article described a test in which 6 alloy casings were coated in various widely available protective chemical products, WD 40, ACF 50, motor oil etc and left in a salty atmosphere for several weeks, the ACF 50 faired best. Also, as it was specifically developed for the US Navy to protect alloy items on board aircraft carriers it has to be good. There is also a test by some Russian on Utube where he coats a toy electric car in ACF 50 and then drops it into salt water for a while, it worked fine. Anyway, best of luck with your alloys!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It has some great reviews but I notice that is non-drying. Does this mean it leaves a sticky film that will attract dirt?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My friend recommended the ACF 50 and yes it does eventually get dirty in the winter but the stuff keeps working under the grime and it helps to wash the dirt off more easily. I'm advised you can tell if it needs a reapplication as the water does not 'shed' so quickly as it 'wears' away. Anyway, as a last word from me, I found a couple of reviews on the product as follows; -
This is the ultimate in protection I have used acf50 for 5 years now and cannot praise it enough. All fitting on my vehicle get a coating and the wrought iron gates on my drive, earth points on my car and a range of applications around the house i.e. hinges etc.
It does what it says on the label and more, JUST KEEP IT AWAY FROM BRAKE DISCS AND PADS.
My top tips to get the most out of ACF50 are
Buy the cheap artist brushes from Tesco and coat fittings with a damp brush of ACF50
If you buy the spray do not spray direct onto bolts but spray a little into the lid and use a brush to apply the liquid, it will go farther and save money.
If you use a cloth to apply ACF 50 keep the cloth in a plastic bag after use, the next time you can wipe down the wheels without needing any-more liquid.
Give it a try and you will never buy anything else I promise
I have used this product before and it is easy to use and very effective....not as difficult to apply as some rust proofers and creeps into cracks easily, however, I would recommend warming the bottle/can on extremely cold days.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Their is a piece in this weeks auto express about corrosion on their kx3 wheels and say Kia replaced them no probs but what happens when the warranty runs out as wheels will not be covered for full 7 years.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You have to get it sorted yourself. I will probably get the things refurbished with a painted finish. Very few wheels with a polished andlacqueredfinish last very long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts