Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

we have just boughta KIA RIO LX 2003 1.3...nice car accept for an annoying knocking that seems to be coming from the offside boot area.

The knocking seems to be -but can't guarantee it-in the area above the rear wheel arch...like something is behind the housing rattling. We have tried to look behind the housing in the speaker area and this all seems secure. we removed the jack as we thought it as that-but sadly not. We also seem to have a rattle-not connected-on the boot lock-it seems to be tightened as much as possible-can anyone help-ideas or suggestions...is this common-anyone else had the same??

Thank You

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Hi Filbert, at what speed is the knocking most noticeable? I found with my Rio the back seats had worked thenselves loose and would make a knocking sound on bumpy roads at 20 to 30 mph.
Alternatively, it could be a broken coil spring or shock absorber, or suspension linkage. Jack up the back end and take the wheel off and check it out. Make sure you use axlel stands if you get under the car and do not rely on just a jack!

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,120 Posts
Hi Filbert, it could easily be the top rear shock absorber rubber perished. Put your hand behind the wheel and grip the upper portion of the shocker and give it a good shake about. Any movement will result in the upper shocker mounting hitting the bodywork hence the rattle noise. There is no easy fix I'm afraid, only new shockers. Shop around for Nipparts replacements as they are less than half the price of Kia and have a 2 year warranty, Ifitted them on my 2005 1.3in about 30 minutes.Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts