Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all new to the scene
switched off a perfect engine then 12 hours later started up to hear loud knocking from left side of engine as you look in bonnet.

Runs with no smoke but with a drop in pwer

any ideas please regards terrray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any updates I think I have the same knocking noise, sounds like a cam shaft or tappet metal on metal banging.I get it ataround 2000 rpm and if you floor it then the banging noisegoes away, no smoke etc runs like a swiss watch but around 2000rpm sounds as if a blacksmith is hammering his anvil.
ANY IDEAS OR UPDATES WOULD BE GREAT

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its a 2006 (old model) 2.9 crdi autoI think there could be a dodgy tensioner or idler on the cam belt
I am planking me self in case the belt were to snap
DMC aboveseems to have some knoledge of these symptoms, I am just a little concerned and would be very gratefull of any advice or ideas

·
Registered
702 Posts
a-gally said:
Its a 2006 (old model) 2.9 crdi autoI think there could be a dodgy tensioner or idler on the cam belt
I am planking me self in case the belt were to snap
DMC aboveseems to have some knoledge of these symptoms, I am just a little concerned and would be very gratefull of any advice or ideas
Check the crankshaft pulley have bought 2 where they have come flying off at a great rate of knots and it's 1 heavy bit of metal to be flying around

·
Registered
19 Posts
Checked out the pulley and all ok (thanks Bruno)the noise see to be coming from the top left of the engine as you look at it

How often does the cam belt have to be changed ????????
my one has done 84.000klms and its 5.5 years old is it due a change ?????????

If I take off the rocker cover will I be able to see the cam belt tensioner or do I have to rip the side covers off ??????????

·
Registered
702 Posts
a-gally said:
Checked out the pulley and all ok (thanks Bruno)the noise see to be coming from the top left of the engine as you look at it

How often does the cam belt have to be changed ????????
my one has done 84.000klms and its 5.5 years old is it due a change ?????????

If I take off the rocker cover will I be able to see the cam belt tensioner or do I have to rip the side covers off ??????????

5 years or 60,000 miles which ever comes first. To see the tensioner you would have to take the timing covers off and by that time you might as well change the belt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheers Bruno
Will change the belt and all the bits next week
Belt
tensioner
water pump
idler
any thing ive missed ????????????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts