Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Bought my Magentis 4 months ago. Noticed that over small bumps and at low speeds the front suspension knocks. Had the front struts changed by Kia in Worcester, however it still keeps on knocking. Almost given up with embarrasment going back to dealer so many times.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Also had all 4 alloyts changed as all the laquer started peeling off on the back edges. Also had a new front grill as the chrome started bubbling. Gee wizz. Beggining to regret this purchase. Came out of a Ford 2.5 V6 thet never missed a beat in 10 years.

Also if i go through the rev range and accelorate hard the engine seems to growl at my right foot. Like it dousn't like it very much.

Apperantly you can have this car re-mapped for £180. Gives you an extra 20bhp. At the moment struggling with this suspension business so not willing to spend any money on it in case i'm forced to sell it on. Such ashame as it's quite a good car for the money. Nice to hear from others if you have any comments to make. (PULLING HAIR OUT NOW)

Les

·
Registered
536 Posts
If I was in your position I would formaly reject the car. You've given them plenty of chances to fix the car and still have problems

·
Registered
887 Posts
I wonder if they changed to the new modified struts with a different part number, or just ordered the replacements from partscatalogue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Coincidentally, i am planning a trip to Kia HQ this week. Going to stand outside with a sign telling them they are a bunch of sh.......'s. The dealer dousn't want to know now as well as Kia customer services. Infact they have told me they won't help me any more. So much for customer relations!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Murphwiz. I think they just changed the struts. Didn't even bother changing the top bearings! Bloody amateurs!!! I know there's a modified part number. When i questioned the dealer he said that even though my car was registered in 2009 it was manufactured in 2006 so the modified part dousn't apply. What utter crap i said. They obviously dissagreed so what else can i do except scream at them with my placard outside their HQ. Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the way chaps. Did you know that Kia sold their Magentis "brand new" at the beggining of this year for 6K? Bet you didn't. They also sold 70 Magentis cars to a well know car rental company down south for 4K with a guaranteed buy back after 18 months or so of £1,500! Blatent de valuation of the mark. Which explains why so many non Kia car dealers don't want them and also why Kia dealers themselves don't want the car. Not even for free!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
The facelift magentis ( with tiger nose grille) was basically just to use up old parts. They only put the 2.0crdi in it so they could get rid of that engine as it was getting quite old and it was not going to meet new emission regs. The pro-ceed sport used it until they ran out thats why now you can only get 1.6. Was a powerful engine in a smaller car but not very good. Sold the magentis a 6K due to imminent release of new Optima.... but now thats not coming till earely next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi and thanks for the info. Just to update all! Big conversations with Kia HQ today. Waiting for a reply tomorrow. If no reply then down to Weybridge on Wednesday first thing tostart rattling cages. Getting local press and radio involved too. Sparks are gonna fly folks.....................

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Les,
I purchased my Magentis in Oct; this year, a 2 ltr diesel, 53000 kms on the clock, but quickly noticed a small knocking from the front,L/Hd drive [Hungarian] going quitely along normal "A" roads, over small bumps at normal speeds, on the motorway nothing at all,. Upon returning to the garage of purchase [ Mercedes ] they found the root cause withinthe hour, "anti- roll bar" which was renewed under the warranty, hence NO more noises, a beautiful quite ride now,. Very happy with our purchase,.Not really had cause yet to assess the efficiency levels, but am driving to the UK for Xmas / New Year, [ 2000 kms ]so plenty opportunity,. Hope this helps,.
Roly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update..........
Went to Kia HQ. Stood outside with my banner protesting. However to no avail. I guy called Hamish came out to talk to me. He introduced himself as the After Sales Director. He wanted his "highly trained" technician to drive the car to accertain the problems i've been having with the knocking. So i let him. Big mistake. He told me there was nothing wrong with the suspension. Unfortunately, he didn't drive the car at low speeds over a bumpy road and i was sent packing with a letter explaining the technicians findings and Kia washing their hands of the car and it's problems. So back to the drawing board.

My thanks to you Roly. I will be getting in touch with my local Kia dealer and I will let you know!

Les

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Roly.
Been back to the dealer and read them your message.They would like to knowifMercedes changed the whole anti roll bar including rubbers and bushes or just the rubbers and bushes using the original anti roll bar? Ifthey changed the rubbers and bushesthen they will replace them for me too.

Many Thanks

Les

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear no joy getting your car sorted and please don't
be offended but from my experience with my local dealer, Kia and other manufactures
(not just of cars) they don't just say they will not help you for no reason or
just to annoy you. There are normally
two sides to a story, we have only heard yours.

You have only had the vehicle for 4 months but did you but
it from a Kia dealer? If you did has the
Kia dealer refused to refund you / buy it back from you? Built in 2006 but
registered in 2009, is it still in warranty? In your opinion there is a fault
with the car but if it's been tested and confirmed as fault free perhaps your assessment
of noise is incorrect. Every vehicle will generate so suspension noise surely.

Perhaps there is nothing wrong with you car and it's just
time to just enjoying it.

Thanks and safe happy motoring

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info' concerning selling Magentises on the cheap. It explained a mystery why I could not trade mine recently at several garages. Having said that it is a gorgeous car (2.7 V6 auto) so I'm not too bothered anyway and large petrol motors aren't selling anywhere in the trade at the moment. I bought it for a song in the first place, so can't complain. I am on my third kia, all of which I have bought at rock bottom bargain prices and all of which have been bulletproof. I was brought up in the motor trade, my Dad had three garages, so friends, neighbours etc, tend to follow my lead. Five of them have bought them, at various ages and not one of them has had a spot of bother. My daughter had a Shuma that was totally abused and gave a trouble free 150000 miles. That has been my experience of Kia so I was interested to see other people's experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had mine almost two years and has been virtually trouble free so far. I did have one issue when I left it for three weeks and the handbrake seized on, thats when I found that the MOT (done only about 300 miles before) has missed poor tracking and worn tyres plus a badly worn rear disc. That said, it did start first time after the lay off. Mostly, I get about 39mpg, but on a run it's upto mid 40's. It's a very roomy car and great on the motorway, but a bit bouncy on local poor roads. It's a 06 model with 55000 miles on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Iposted a message back in july to say my car has had a recall for ur rated shocks totally solved the problem.Picked up second brand new Magentis is Sept also shocks were changed did20.000 in first car in ten months and have alerady done 5.000 since sept niether car ever missed a beat fantastic value and comfort i also find the diesel fantastic so much power and refinement. Sorry so many people had problems but i did mention the upgrade back in july.Oh Just ordered a new optima should be in at the dealer in march..Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interseting about the shocks. It did occur to me that what can cause a knocking, but is quite harmless and undetectable, is dampers on the steering rack. I have no idea of the construction of a magentis rack, but have come across the problem on other cars in the past. the shock absorber problem would seem to be the answer though. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you check the nut at the top of the strut. Not the ones the bolt it to the car but the one on the strut itself. I had the problem on my last car a Hyundai coupe. Turned out these worked loose over time and started knocking. Sounds exactly like your problem cause it was only noticeable at low speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts