Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple of days the car has developed a knock from the n/s front it knocks more when I back of the throttle I think it is the bottom ball joint
its not a worrying knock but more annoying than anything !!! It does not do it on lock to lock only on a straight run. Could I be right ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
mmm a ball joint will knock when turning too bud ,it does it when you let off the gas could be an engine mount or a drive shaft ,keep your eye on it and take a mental note of when it does it and let us know ok .cheers john.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I thought of the engine mount but it does not knock when accelerting hence why I thought it maybe the bottom ball joint as the wife says she can feel it under her feet. Was going to have a closer look today but as usual its pissing down lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the wheel off this morning and sussed it !!!! The track rod end boot was split and had no grease in it. Called into sh*t fit as we are on holiday and I don't have any tools with me and they wanted £80
I said I only want one you know
Anyway got it booked into a local garage around here doing it for £45.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Make sure they do the tracking Beno - its only got to be slightly out on the Sedona and it will eat your front tyres in no time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Decided to leave it till I go home as I have priced up the end and they are only £14 each so I am going to do both mysel and get the tracking done. will work out cheaper for me to do it that way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers mate I have done the track rod end today and its made a huge difference !!! The only thing is I still have a slight knock when in 5th ! When you accelerate then back off then accelerate again it gives a slight knock I think that when the clutch was fitted they have not tightened the wheel hub properly will investigate in the morn !! Other than that we are 110% happy with the car !! It has average 27 mpg whilst towing a caravan weighing in at 1790kg's

Edited by: Beno

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi Beno, Sounds very much like an engine mount - but then again why would it only do it in 5th gear - suppose same applies to the wheel bearing as well. Could be suspension bush. Pain when you can't determine what it is - but thats always half the battle with most jobs. I always get a knock when I deaccelerate in my Sedona - its all them seat belt buckles hitting the plastic trim - Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i hear a slight knock from the wifes sedona when i take my foot off the gas i think its the engine sitting back down on its mounts, it will suprise you how high an engine will lift when going at full pelt i just keep an eye on things till it sounds different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it was what I thought it was !! Got in from work yesterday and the wife said its making strange noises so I took it for a run and yep it was so took it straight into the work shop took off the wheel and noticed that the retaining nut that holds the driveshaft was not tight enough and the locking tab had not been punched down so I took it off cleaned everything up coverec it in copper ease and everything is now spot on no knocks no bangs just a nice quiet drive as it should be

Edited by: Beno

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, Glad you sorted it - another prime example of the benefits of doing these jobs yourself and doing them properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts