Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A great old car, but the front pass side door won't open on C/L button, or manually, inside or out.
Suspect it's either that little spring, or the deadlock is completely knackered.
I've got the top of the door card away only about 5 inches as the door won't open.
Not much is revealed, as it would appear that the large bolted on plate for the electric window mech would have to come out first, and I cant get at the the bolts at the bottom. I'm not much of a gynaecologist.
I gambled that there could be a short to the deadlock switch, so using a fishwire, hooked the wires off. No luck.
Does anyone know if by taking the outer door handle off, that I could expose anything that might help get the door open.
I have located the fixing bolts for it.
It's my last shot. Failing this, it's get the crowbar out, because the lock mech is obviously fixed on the door edge.
Yours,
Hair pulled out,
Raysy

·
Registered
647 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Raysy

I think you need to unbolt and remove the Passenger Seat for better access. Probably a couple of Electrical Plugs for Airbag/Tensioner
I have had the Door Card off and Window Mech out. Not too bad.
Think there is one Screw for the Door Card inside the Door Shut that you cant get to.

Workshop Manual on my OneDrive

An Auto-locksmith may be able to open and cheaper in the long run

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the manual and trying to help.
My son's mate is an auto locksmith, and told me that when the mechanism goes, it's time for violence.
I took the pass seat out, managed to get the door card off.
I then took my angle grinder to the internal metal door skin, cut a window in it, then with a hammer and chisel smashed the lock mech up. Eventually got to the bare latch, and managed to operate it with a long screwdriver, and finally got the door open. Got a replacement lock unit from Ebay. All fitted and working again. Happy ending.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
647 Posts
My son's mate is an auto locksmith, and told me that when the mechanism goes, it's time for violence.
I then took my angle grinder to the internal metal door skin, cut a window in it, then with a hammer and chisel smashed the lock mech up. Eventually got to the bare latch, and managed to operate it with a long screwdriver, and finally got the door open. Got a replacement lock unit from Ebay. All fitted and working again. Happy ending.

Good the hear you got it sorted. Sounds a bit of a Job.
Thanks for reporting back. Always useful to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I've just submitted a post about this and everything I tried first before I finally found out about the "violence" bit. I've just then seen your post :LOL:

Glad to hear you solved it in the end :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.