Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I bought a 58 plate Sportage diesel 4wd in December 2009. In January 2010 (mileage 11,000)I started getting a kick just before the car comes to a stop. The car has been in and out of Kia dealers from that date to present and still there is a kick back. I have had the wheels changed, new transmission oil, several different ECU units and a new magnetic coupling. I am now being told by Kia that the kick back is normal and all 4 wheel cars are the same. Personally I disagree with this as I have driven other 4 wheel drive versions with no associated problems. Without the 20 amp fuse the car can not be faulted
Can anyone tell me whether they are experiencing the same fault or let me know of a fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not the steering, although it can be felt through the column. It appears as though something is either attaching or disengaging itself. Whatever the cause, it only does it when the 4 wheel drive system is operational. I have got so fed up of it ,that I now drive without the 20 amp fuse in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
John Barry said:
No, not the steering, although it can be felt through the column. It appears as though something is either attaching or disengaging itself. Whatever the cause, it only does it when the 4 wheel drive system is operational. I have got so fed up of it ,that I now drive without the 20 amp fuse in.

It may be worth looking at your tyres to see if there is a significant difference in front & rear wear. It is possible for the 4WD system to think an axle is encountering slip if one set of wheels has a different circumference....it then kicks in and out which you can feel. If there is a difference it would be worth swopping front & rear wheels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but not the tyres. Dealer swopped a complete new set of sportage wheels on my vehicle, just the same! See my original article. Is your 4 wheel drive ok as Kia are trying to tell me that all 4 wheel Sportages have this 'Characteristic' kick.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi John Barry and welcome to the forum.
Not sure whether it the same as I have experienced a couple of times, mainly on low load on the engine and on cruise control, just as the car has been coasting and the power is about to come in, I have had the sensation that the engine cuts of the fuel for a split second or a jerk before the engine runs ok and once under power seems fine?

If so, its not only on the 4WD as mine is 2, it seems like a fuel management problem?

Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob
Many thanks for your note above. The kick as I am trying to describe happens each and every time the vehicle comes to a stop either in moving traffic (traffic jams), road junctions etc but only in 4 wheel drive. As previously stated, in 2 wheel drive is well.

Because this saga has been going on so long and KIA have now called it a 'Characteristic, of all 4 wheel drive Sportages, I could end up with a vehicle that is not fit for purpose. Any advice or suggestions you may have would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi John,

My Sportage is a CRDi 4WD (08) and I do not experience the problem that you have reported. The only problem I do have is an occasional hesitation accelerating through 1800 - 2000 RPM. The dealer told me that this was due to different front & rear tyres causing the 4WD to kick-out (hence my previous comment) but this has proven not to be the case and it is likely to be an EGR valve problem.....at the moment I'm living with it while seeing if better fuel (BP Ultimate) helps (needs several tankfulls to know).

Anyway, back to your issue which has me puzzled. If the dealer is claiming that it is a characteristic, why not ask him to lend you a similar car for a day or 2 to see if it does the same?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already been down that route and driven several 4 wdd and 2, 2wd drive cars. All have been ok.

It is not the dealer that is saying this fault is 'characteristic' but Kia technical UK !!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update. Throughout June I have bombarded KIA with e mails and eventually, a couple of weeks ago, I received a financial'goodwill gesture' to replace my car, my daily e mails were obviously having an effect! Now at least they have accepted there is indeed an issue with my vehicle. My car is being replaced this week with a brand new Sportage CRDI 2WD and towbar. I do not have any confidence in the 4WD .

So after 6 months of hassle I can now look forward to my summer holidays with the caravan. I suppose the moral to the story is never give up. I have now collected all the e mail addresse for senior management @ KIA so if you wish to by-pass your dealer, you know what to do.

John

Very many thanks to all of you who tried to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
After 7 months on ongoing problems with our Nov. 2009 Kia Sportage CRDi and no solution to the problem, I have started emailing my local dealer and Kia Technical. Can you please let us know the email address/name of a personwho you dealt with, just to see if it is the same as ours.

We are delighted your problem appears to have been 'solved', I will keep you posted although our main problem is 'jerking'. We corresponded on the forums earlier.

Good luck

Roger and Audrey Willoughby

·
Registered
662 Posts
the jerk you describe is a disengagement of the 4wd clutch its usually felt when the car comes to a halt and the wheels are not in the straight ahead position so if you come to a t junction with lock on the vehicle (usually turning left) like your ready to filter into the road then stop the jerk is felt its like something giving you a little push. i have had over 17 sportage demo's over the years and i wouldhonestly say 80% of them have all done this
the reason it does it is that as an active 4x4 its constantly moving the percentage of drive between the four wheels the act of turning a car See's the inside wheels move slower than the outside wheels, the carsees this and the 4x4 clutch starts to apply (not fully as this would cause the wheel to skid) also the limited slip diffs also start to transfer more load to the inner wheels the act of applying more drive to the inner wheels is what gives a 4x4 more stability in the corners and acts to pull the car into the bend so increasing its grip now when you stop the carknows you have stopped from its wheel speed sensors and will disengage the 4x4 clutch this is when the jerk occurs the jerk is because the transmission has some load in the gear set releasing the clutch lets the gear set unwind

you can simulate this by going to a car park engage the 4x4turn the car hard 90 degrees stop and then disengage the 4x4 you will get a clunk and a jerk

if you don't get the jerk then you do have an issue

i hope this explains the situation fully is is a totally normal function of the car some car are more active than others and they become less active as the 4x4 clutch settles into its action

its sad that the dealer concerned obviously did not take the time to explain the system or did not have staff who understood the system

why have KIA changed your car? who knows but your e mails were obviously getting on someones nerves anyway have fun in your 2 wheel drive

Paul Somerville

after sales manager

Viking KIA Southampton

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Paul

What a pity that that no one from KIA UK technical apears to have your knowledge on the 4WD system, not to mention2 different KIA dealers and KIA themselves.

Whilst I do not wish to disagree with the above, I find it difficult to believe that KIA would change my vehicle just for the hell of it. My vehicle was kicking not only when stopping, but also in low gears. It made no difference whether the front wheels were straight or turning as your comment above. If your comments are trueI cannot understand why this started when the vehicle was 12 months old (11,000 miles) and not from new. I have driven 4WD cars for the last 20 years and have not experienced anything like this before.

The KIA dealer told me that my vehicle was going to auction NOT on the forecourt and its not 2 years old yet!

I only hope and pray that my new 2WD diesel Sportage that I collected this week does not develop a persistent fault. A 7 year warranty is good but a waste of time if vehicles are not fit for purpose.

John Barry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts