Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, please can someone advise what the attached warning light means (orange light)? Thank you

Super Moderator
Not seen that one before, but handbook has a full list of all warning lights.

Registered
Exhaust System (DPF) light. Diesel Particulate Filter - means, you need to go for a 20 min high speed drive to burn the muck off.

If it then stays on visit your dealer (car that is).

Super Moderator
Exhaust System (DPF) light. Diesel Particulate Filter Means, you need to go for a 20 min high speed drive to burn the muck off.

If it then stays on visit your dealer (car that is).
1.6 Diesel 48V Mild Hybrid Manual iMT?

Or if petrol PPF.

Super Moderator
Petrol Particulate Filter, or whatever they call them.

Registered
Petrol Particulate Filter, or whatever they call them.
Did not know there was a petrol version. It's not shown in my Stonic (petrol) handbook but the Diesel version is.

Looking at Google images there are a few different symbols for DPF across the various manufacturers. The OP's one seems to be favourite among Honda Toyota Vauxhall Mazda

Search for PPF in the Forum does turn up a number of posts about models with PPF Warning lights - seems the advice is the same 20 min high speed drive.

Registered
There's a lady in one of the Farcebook groups complaining that her Sportage PPF light comes on every 50 miles. Not a typo, 50 miles. I can only assume that she goes no further than the shops, surely it should never trigger every 50 miles on a petrol engine.

A cynical person might think we are being forced into electric cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
There's a lady in one of the Farcebook groups complaining that her Sportage PPF light comes on every 50 miles. Not a typo, 50 miles. I can only assume that she goes no further than the shops, surely it should never trigger every 50 miles on a petrol engine.

A cynical person might think we are being forced into electric cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The cynical side of me thinks there is more to the story than is being told...

Reactions: Radiorail

Registered
The PPF slipped by my (and probably many others) radar. This article interestingly says;

Should I buy a car with a petrol particulate filter?
Petrol cars fitted with particulate filters are among the cleanest cars on sale, and there's no evidence so far that the filters will suffer the problems that have proved costly for a small proportion of diesel car owners.

It seems however that some are having problems!

But now a quandary if all these filters and emissions treatments work that well there should be no need to move to electric cars!

Registered
Exhaust System (DPF) light. Diesel Particulate Filter - means, you need to go for a 20 min high speed drive to burn the muck off.
PPF or DPF high speed is not needed. Your handbook will give you exact details, our Ceed CRDi required 15 to 20 minutes between 1500 and 2000 rpm for a regen, 60 mph on the motorway was perfect. Any faster resulted in higher revs and the increased gas speed in the DPF prevented it from getting hot enough and the regen lasted longer wasting more fuel.

The high speed bit is an urban myth propagated by those who haven't a clue, our would actually do a regen on the 20 minute, 9 mile drive form Tesco, and average of under 30 mph.

Super Moderator
The high speed bit is an urban myth propagated by those who haven't a clue, our would actually do a regen on the 20 minute, 9 mile drive form Tesco, and average of under 30 mph.
I think "High Speed" is used more as it gets the engine hot, which is what is required. Kia's from my experience over the years, never get hot fast. In low (that is above 0) I have seen 5 miles before norm temp is showing.

Reactions: Mandrew

Registered
From one 'who hasn't a clue' perhaps the term 'High Speed' is a misnomer so I'll stop propagating the urban myth. For diesel my handbook (Stonic) says "At more than 60kph (37 MPH) for about 25 mins."

Hope that clears matters up for the pedants.

Registered
I think "High Speed" is used more as it gets the engine hot, which is what is required. Kia's from my experience over the years, never get hot fast. In low (that is above 0) I have seen 5 miles before norm temp is showing.
You do not need a "hot" engine, the engine needs to be at normal running temperature at which point a regen will be triggered if the soot level or distance covered indicated one is needed.

What happens then extra diesel (in the case of a DPF) is injected post combustion into the dpf to raise the temperature inside to 600 degrees Celsius. If you drive at high revs that temperature will never be reached since the gas speed will prevent it, this is why Kia (and other manufacturers) specify a rev band.

As for 37 mph being the ideal speed that has to be matched with the correct gear. Do 37 mph in 6th and revs will be too low, do it in 2nd and they will be too high. I expect Kia are suggesting you drive normally which would probably be 4th gear at that speed and higher gears if you drive faster. the rev band Kia suggested when we had our Ceed seems far more logical.

The issue is probably all the urban myths about giving cars a good thrashing to clear the DPF which are total nonsense. When the dealer does a forced regen the laptop keeps the revs between idle and about 2000 simulating normal driving but the laptop also controls the extra fuelling needed for the regen. You cannot do it sat on the drive like people have tried previously, all that will do is annoy the neighbours, waste fuel and further block the DPF.

Registered
In another thread a post quotes Kia indicating a higher speed for clearing the PPF;

"The vehicle should be driven for more than 30 minutes at a speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) and faster. Ensure the following conditions are all met: safe road conditions, transmission 3rd gear or above, and engine speed of 1,500 - 4,000 rpm."
"That's what it says for the petrol engines from 2012(?) onwards (Kappa/Gamma engine types). OP probably has a Gamma-2 engine."​
Edit: included quotes so I do not get associated with the content!​

Registered
In another thread a post quotes Kia indicating a higher speed for clearing the PPF;

"The vehicle should be driven for more than 30 minutes at a speed of 80 km/h (50 mph) and faster. Ensure the following conditions are all met: safe road conditions, transmission 3rd gear or above, and engine speed of 1,500 - 4,000 rpm."
"That's what it says for the petrol engines from 2012(?) onwards (Kappa/Gamma engine types). OP probably has a Gamma-2 engine."​
Edit: included quotes so I do not get associated with the content!​
Bit lost with that. PPF's have only been fitted to cars since September 2018 when the modified Euro 6 was introduced so I cannot see how 2012 is relevant for a PPF or petrol engine

If you are suggesting that you rev a diesel engine to 4000 for 30 minutes all you would do would be to create loads of soot and further block the DPF.

Registered
Bit lost with that. PPF's have only been fitted to cars since September 2018 when the modified Euro 6 was introduced so I cannot see how 2012 is relevant for a PPF or petrol engine

If you are suggesting that you rev a diesel engine to 4000 for 30 minutes all you would do would be to create loads of soot and further block the DPF.
If you read my post, and the referenced posts, you would have realised I was not suggesting anything of the sort.

I was quoting from another thread and another poster who appeared to have quoted from, maybe, a Kia manual making the distinction between a PPF and DPF regeneration..

Take it up with the other poster if you feel the information is erroneous or you are aggrieved.

Registered
Your own words Sudden fuel consumption change
Never researched what to do if the PPF light came on, just looked in the Superb manual and this is what it says:

Drive at a speed of at least 80 km/h (edit 50mph) at engine speeds between 3000-5000 rpm
Release the accelerator pedal and let the vehicle roll with the gear engaged for a few second
Repeat this procedure several times. If the filter is cleaned successfully, the indicator light goes out . If the indicator light does not go off within 30 minutes, the filter was not cleaned.

Registered
If you read my post, and the referenced posts, you would have realised I was not suggesting anything of the sort.

I was quoting from another thread and another poster who appeared to have quoted from, maybe, a Kia manual making the distinction between a PPF and DPF regeneration..

Take it up with the other poster if you feel the information is erroneous or you are aggrieved.
Had a bad day?

Super Moderator
You do not need a "hot" engine, the engine needs to be at normal running temperature at which point a regen will be triggered if the soot level or distance covered indicated one is needed.
HOT as in up to temperature not COLD...

As I have said Kia's can take up to 5 miles, especially in the colder weather. ( that is my experience over 4 Kia's) to get to "normal running temp" which in some of these cases the cars never do, or if they go further it is not long enough for the regen to complete.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts