Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

Hoping for a bit of help and / or guidance with anyone who has been in a similar situation if possible please?

I have searched the forum but not found what I was looking for unfortunately.

We got a 2017 Sportage on PCP less than 12 months ago, last month, the gearbox failed. As it is still under warrenty I took it to a local KIA dealer.

The KIA has now been in the garage for a month, we have 2 young children who we now walk quite a distance to nursery (in the great UK weather), as well as myself and wife having to make other arrangements to get to and from work everyday. In hindsight, it would probably have worked out cheaper over the course of the last month to just pay for the repair ourselves and had in back within a week.

My main question is; is there a timeframe on a warrenry repair being carried out by a KIA dealer? Or is it literally, drop the car off and when it's done, it's done?

I have called regularly, asking for an update, only to be told they are going to look at it as soon as they can.

A month seems quite excessive? However, I've not really had much experience with cars in a garage, so this is my gut feeling /opinion

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

J

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 'Jspeno_99'.

I won't wind you up by pretending to be a legal expert and telling you how to go about dealing with your problem but I think the moderators might see some benefit in drawing the attention of the KCS people to this matter.

Mods?

Reactions: Jspeno_99

·
Super Moderator
3,431 Posts
I assume the vehicle is with a Kia dealership?
I have moved this to the Kia Customer Services (KCS) section. However KCS do not monitor the forum on a regular basis and there is no agreement that they will reply to any posts. I would recommend contacting KCS directly using the contact details below:-

Kia Customer Service
[email protected]
0333 202 2990

Visit www.kia.co.uk
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Enjoy www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk
Follow us @KiaUK on twitter

Call centre opening hours:
Monday to Friday - 8:30am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 1pm
Sunday: Closed

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
HI & Welcome.

Has it been confirmed as a warranty repair by dealer?
If it requires a new gearbox, then that will have to be sourced from oversea's Not sure if that would be the manufacturing plant in Solivana. Or where ever Kia would keep spare gearboxes. But it is certainly manufactures in Europe.

At the moment given the supply chains. Any timescales can be a lot longer than normal. So I would doubt that even if you were able to pay yourself, that you would get anything other than a 2nd hand one quicker.

Sorry if it's not what you want to hear.

But certainly use the contact details above. Might not be open today & do include your car & dealer details (y)

·
Registered
530 Posts
"...The KIA has now been in the garage for a month .."
This is the big "gotcha" with Kia warranties (and others for that matter)
If the warranty thing is a one or two day fix then most people can rearrange life to deal with that.
When it's over a week, life gets much more "inconvenienced" especially when you have kids.
Kia don't do themselves any favours with this policy and I suggest that any warranty claim over a week that disables the car beyond safe use should automatically warrant a free loan car facility
It's interesting in the general forum today a story about how wonderful Kia are has been posted. This is typical of motoring journalism who don't incur such problems so only see the sunny day stories. I wonder if that story would be so glowing if the writer had needed a lengthy warranty claim with no automatically supplied loan car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,

Thank you for the replies.

Yes it is with a KIA dealer in the NE England (unsure if I am supposed to name them?) And it was considered as a repair under the warrenty.

It was confirmed as the gearbox cables apparently, not a full gearbox replacement, unsure if this would have the same supply chain issue?

Are they supposed to offer a courtesy car, or us this not a requirement?

Cheers

J

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
479 Posts
When I needed a rear brake caliper. The garage told me, once they had a code from Kia confirming a back order, they would be able to offer a courtesy car. Suddenly though Kia sourced one and it meant it arrived next day, so not sure if the courtesy thing would have happened or not.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Are they supposed to offer a courtesy car?
No.
It is one of the odd things with the warranty and catches a lot of folks out when its a lengthy fix like yours.

You can ask the dealer for a loaner and see what they say but they have no obligation under warranty terms to do anything apart from fix the car "at some point".

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 4 dynamics plus
10 Posts
Good morning,

Hoping for a bit of help and / or guidance with anyone who has been in a similar situation if possible please?

I have searched the forum but not found what I was looking for unfortunately.

We got a 2017 Sportage on PCP less than 12 months ago, last month, the gearbox failed. As it is still under warrenty I took it to a local KIA dealer.

The KIA has now been in the garage for a month, we have 2 young children who we now walk quite a distance to nursery (in the great UK weather), as well as myself and wife having to make other arrangements to get to and from work everyday. In hindsight, it would probably have worked out cheaper over the course of the last month to just pay for the repair ourselves and had in back within a week.

My main question is; is there a timeframe on a warrenry repair being carried out by a KIA dealer? Or is it literally, drop the car off and when it's done, it's done?

I have called regularly, asking for an update, only to be told they are going to look at it as soon as they can.

A month seems quite excessive? However, I've not really had much experience with cars in a garage, so this is my gut feeling /opinion

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

J
Our Sportage was with our kia dealer for 2 months, but I had a Kia hire car (payed by kia) from day one until our Sportage was ready for collection.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
As a new kia owner I was a bit surprised by the comments on here, I assumed this would be covered by the 7 year warranty. Have I got my facts wrong.
Always check the T/C on warranties. As these are over & above your legal consumers rights. Simply a extra, provided by the manufacture. To which they apply certain conditions, So failure to have your car serviced as per Kia timescales etc can see certain issues not covered.

Limited liability
Under this warranty, Kia are only liable for the repair or replacement of original parts by an authorised Kia dealer that are defective in material or workmanship. Kia are not liable for any costs that may incur getting to a dealer, supplying a replacement car or as a result of being without the car during warranty repairs.
Also not everything is covered for 7 years. (y)

·
Registered
530 Posts
As a new kia owner I was a bit surprised by the comments on here, I assumed this would be covered by the 7 year warranty. Have I got my facts wrong.
The original posters problem (a defective gearbox) is covered by warranty.
What isn't covered is:-
Loan car
Quick fix
Any incidental costs the customer may incur getting the car to Kia to be fixed or being without a car for however long a fix takes.

As with all warranties, the devil is in the detail!
Kia do push hard on the 7 year warranty but in there are terms that need adhering to for it to be honoured and even then, some parts aren't covered for 7 years, the audio head unit (infotainment) being a prime example of an expensive item that is covered for less than 7 (I think its 3)

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
769 Posts
No.
It is one of the odd things with the warranty and catches a lot of folks out when its a lengthy fix like yours.

You can ask the dealer for a loaner and see what they say but they have no obligation under warranty terms to do anything apart from fix the car "at some point".
I'm not really sure why we would expect manufactures to provide a loan car if ours breakdown, I wouldn't expect a loan washing machine or dishwasher if they breakdown.

I would expect the dealer to fix it as quickly as they can though but that is in their gift. You could try calling the top man at the dealership and tell them just how reliant you are on your car and ask if there is anything he can do to speed things up

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm not really sure why we would expect manufactures to provide a loan car if ours breakdown, I wouldn't expect a loan washing machine or dishwasher if they breakdown.

I would expect the dealer to fix it as quickly as they can though but that is in their gift. You could try calling the top man at the dealership and tell them just how reliant you are on your car and ask if there is anything he can do to speed things up
I'd counter that with
A car is uniquely a thing that is bought to "get around" either because you prefer not to walk / to far to walk but often disability / lack of public transport makes it a necessity.
If a washing machine breaks, you can wash clothes by hand use a launderette / dishwasher you can wash pots / fridge you can buy food daily etc
So as I suggest, a day or two most folks can rearrange life around, but weeks with no end date quoted and it becomes a real and in some rare cases possibly life threatening issue (ie: live in the middle of nowhere and have medical emergency and can't wait for an elusive ambulance.)

This is why Isay, for anything over a week then Kia (well all Marques really) should put their sensible head on and say actually, the customer is severely inconvenienced and maybe we should help them out.

But I also work with customers and know that often its simple things like this (that really don't cost the dealer that much money) that keep them coming back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I must say that the only time my Kia had to be towed to the dealer I was very disappointed that they made no effort to look at the problem ASAP, had to wait over a week. In my dealings with Ford and Vauxhall dealers they have looked at the fault the next day, and repaired shortly after. OK not they don't offer 7 year warranty, but my car wasn't undriveable at any time.

I like my Kia but not impressed with customer service, perhaps repeat sales aren't wanted. Purchase of a new car is the second most expensive purchase most people make. I'm not sure that I'll be buying my next car from Kia.

Got that rant off my chest.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
479 Posts
My Kia was effectively off the road for 3 weeks. Ok initially I had it in a non on Kia garage for MOT (AC would you believe) it failed on a rear brake caliper leaking. Had to phone a Kia garage and getting booked in could be up to a month. I got lucky and one for following week for initial investigation. They confirmed it was brake caliper leaking but took a few days for them to get a code (approval) from Kia. They then sourced one which came in 2 days after that but then couldn't get me booked in for MOT again till the following week I was pleased it was repaired under warranty but disappointed it had failed on its first MOT to start with and the time off the road.
Lesson for next year is to get MOT done at the Kia garage I think.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
A progress report on the issue contained in this thread would be good!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
2 examples.

When we had the Ceed the A/C condenser failed a couple of weeks before a 1,000 mile road trip. Car was still drivable but the part was on back order. Did not need a loan car since we had 2 cars and the Ceed was still drivable. What we did need was a car with working A/C for the road trip, imagine 4 people and a dog in a car in summer with no A/C. All the dealer could offer was a Picanto, imagine a Picanto with 4 people, dog and luggage even if it had working A/C. Dealer suggested I contact Kia CS which I did. Within 24 hours I had confirmation that if the part had not arrived they had instructed the dealer to hire us a suitable replacement vehicle. Very happy. Even happier when the car was fixed about 36 hours before we left.

Our Superb threw an emission light within a week of taking delivery. We were only about 1 mile from the dealer when it happened and went strait there. Did not need a loan car since like before we had 2 cars but we needed to get home, no staff available to give us a lift so within 30 minutes a Superb hire car (paid for by Skoda) was was in our possession until the problem was sorted. Very happy. Problem was sorted within 2 hours so even happier.

So why is it our local dealers and manufacturers work together to keep customers happy when elsewhere it seems they do their best to upset customers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts