Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my first time posting.

I've just bought a low mileage ex-demonstrator from a KIA main dealer, (Ceed 1.6 ecodynamics)which was advertised as having the KIA 7 year warranty. On getting the vehicle home I checked the documentation, only to find the vehicle hadn't been serviced in accordance with the warranty. For the warranty to be valid the car must be serviced every 12,000 miles or annually, whichever comes first. Although it has only 5,000 miles on the clock the first service was only recorded as being carried out after 20 months (prior to me picking up the vehicle). Same goes for the bodywork inspection.

To my mind this clearly invalidates the warranty. I immediately informed the dealer, who stated this isn't a problems as the vehicle has been registered to a dealer etc, etc. I said in that case you won't have a problem getting KIA UK to confirm that in writing. (At this point they went a bit quiet).

I won't name and shame just yet, as despite this I'm very pleased with the car and if the issue is resolved then I'm happy. Failing that it's down to trading standards as the vehicle has clearly been misrepresented in the sales literature and on KIA's, as well as the dealer's, website. (I have copies of the advertising).

Anyone had a similar issue and managed to resolve it amicably with KIA?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I suggest you send copies of the service records to KIA UK direct. Point out your concern and get them to confirm to you that the warranty if fully valid for the balance of the 7 years.Tell them you have asked the dealer and they say "no probs" - tell them the dealers details.
Also, let them know you have been in touch with Trading Standards regarding misrepresentation and fib a bit by saying Trading Standards have asked to see KIA UKs reply as they (KIA) have to have the right to respond. If you're not happy with the response then go to Trading Standards with all the info.
Presumably you made a note of who you spoke to at the dealer? Time,date etc?

Good Luck!

HTH

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.
Yes, I have names and times for the phone call ;-)

Would be nice to sort it out with KIA, as I'm genuinely impressed with the Ceed. However, without a warranty, I'd have bought an older higher mileage Mazda, as my old one was absolutely bombproof.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you go to my post under newbies... Newbie member - SR7 information, you'll see the KIA head office number, but more usefull the name of the customer servicechap (Luke) who I have spoken with on a couple of occassions. Incredibly helpful, and hecan check out everything you need to know about your car by the reg number. He even advised me of a couple of issues to get seen to by my nearest dealer, although I had bought this used from a non KIA dealer! His bottom line was "If you have any probs with the dealer, tell them you have spoken with me...."

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The Ceed 1.6 Ecodynamics is a diesel and these require servicing every 20,000 miles or annually, not 12,000 which is the petrol interval.
For a dealer to keep a demonstrator for such a long period is very strange, they usually update regulary to keep up with model changes plus customers don't want to drive older cars when buying a new one. Dealers also get incentives from the manufacturers for the demo fleet this why keep them for such a long period. It all appears very odd to me, have you seen the registration document yet with the previous owners details?

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Paul
Very interesting. Sticker in Service logbook matches Car VIN, however definately has petrol service schedule. I'll take it up direct with KIA UK. Don't have the returned V5 yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK.
V5 shows the car has only been registered to the dealer. Service book is incorrect, have confirmation from Kia that this model should have 20,000 service interval, (which is good). Kia say warranty is still valid, although they may not pay out if they deem the late first service has caused it. Dealer has provided written guarantee that they will meet the cost of any repairs required during the warranty period that are declined by Kia due to the late service. Not ideal but seems a fair compromise.

I was debating getting my money back, but the car seems perfect mechanically, and puts my wife's VW to shame in terms of refinement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts