Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest influences that led me to purchase my Optima was the warranty.
Until today, I’ve have contacted my main dealer about the chrome strip over the offside head light starting to discolour. I’m informed the chrome strip is part of the headlight and to replace the whole unit would be £760.
I asked about the warranty as surely this strip should not discolour so soon.I was told they would need to take photos and send to Kia, fair enough. I’ve been informed if this discolouration is deemed not to be a manufacturer fault I would be charged £119.88 for the inspection. Would I take the risk? I took 10 photos of the offending strip in less than 60 seconds..If Kia did say this wasn’t a manufacturer fault I would more than likely accept but to be charged £119.88 it’s
leaving a little sour taste to be honest.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
212 Posts
There is a bit of a theme occuring with this topic, in the normal course of events the manufacturer relies on the (independent) dealer to report on warranty claims, and from what someone in the know has said here, they have a level of discretion to proceed without authority.

But with the extended warranty Kia offer body work claims are always subject to an external damage clause which provided Kia don't abuse it seems perfectly reasonable. Also although the £119 seems like a high cost by the time you add up the dealers time to meet you when you arrive, take photos, log them onto Kia's warranty system and report back to you perhaps this isn't that high after all but I agree I would think twice about risking it.

I suppose the three questions to ask your dealer are; what is the dealers opinion on the discoloration, does he think it is external damage? Why can't you send in the claim yourself with photos? If he submits the claim for you and it's unsuccessful but you have them replace the headlight would they waive the £119 charge?

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
What age is your Optima?

As they ceased production in 2015 and plastic parts do discolour over time, depending on how they are cleaned.

I find it odd that they want to charge a inspection fee for just taking photo's I think that is the dealer taking the micky. Never charged when I claimed on wheels & they took photo's. Claim turned down.

Yes I can understand for something where they have to do some physical work on the car that takes up ramp time. But a photo that is done in the car park...

I think that is a dealer to avoid. Who are they?

While the warranty is for 7 years, it does not cover everything for that timeframe.

@macgd016 If Kia pay out for warranty work then any investigation fee is part of the claim. If Kia do not pay, then owner has to pay.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@macgd016
Some valid points. I will investigate taking the photos and submitting the claim myself.

@iooi
My Optima is on a 68 plate not quite three years old. I bought the car February 21 so I couldn’t say no harsh cleaning products have been used previously, certainly none since I’ve owned the car. This is what makes we wary of risking the £119 inspection charge, as I couldn’t prove or disprove no harsh products have indeed been used.
The dealer is Perry’s at Burnley who didn’t fill me with confidence when I had the car serviced with them, I couldn’t put my finger on anything in particular but I got the distinct feeling of things not being very professional. Lost car keys not mine another customers, no seat covers used etc..
Just to add the car is immaculate including all the other chrome strips.

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Thanks.

You could try another kia dealer & see if they will just take photo's and send them off.

Failing that complain to Perrys head office or email their CEO that they want to charge £119 just to take some photo's..

Reactions: macgd016

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a call from Perrys Burnley yesterday advising me my car is due it’s 1st MOT shortly and would I like to book a test appointment for £65. When I replied no thank you I can get the test done down the road for £35
I got a call back from Perrys within 30 minutes saying they would match the £35 to which I said yes.
At first I thought to myself that’s a win.The thought of Perrys trying to charge me an extra £30 coupled with the £119 inspection charge isn’t sitting well with me at the moment.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Have a look online Stu at groupon uk to see if you can pick up a deal at a local garage.. I paid £19 for my last one..

·
Registered
799 Posts
I got a call from Perrys Burnley yesterday advising me my car is due it’s 1st MOT shortly and would I like to book a test appointment for £65. When I replied no thank you I can get the test done down the road for £35
I got a call back from Perrys within 30 minutes saying they would match the £35 to which I said yes.
At first I thought to myself that’s a win.The thought of Perrys trying to charge me an extra £30 coupled with the £119 inspection charge isn’t sitting well with me at the moment.
I might be being cynical but I would suggest in those 30mins, someone calculated how much work they could claim you needed....

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi StuSmith

If you'd like us to query the labour time Perry's have quoted for and the part itself, please PM us with the reg.

Kia Customer Service
0333 202 2990

Visit Discover Our Kia Range & Find A Local Dealer | Kia Motors UK
Follow https://twitter.com/KiaUK
Join in www.facebook.com/kiamotorsuk
Watch www.youtube.com/kiamotorsuk

Customer Service opening hours:

Monday to Friday: 08:30 - 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 13:00
Sunday: Closed
Thank you for the response. I have PM you with the registration number.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts