Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone advise.

My MOT has just failed due to the rear fog light not working, and also the Rear fog 'tell-tale' (dash light) is not working either, The MOT garage checked the fuse and thats ok. They have advised to take the car to an auto electrician? has anyone else had this fault - i dont want a massive repair bill so hoping it is something simple??

Thanks

Super Moderator
Did they have the headlights on at the time?

As many Kia's require them to be on and if you have to odd switchgear it needs to be twisted one way for the front fogs and the other for the rear. Then reversed to turn them off.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Did they have the headlights on at the time?

As many Kia's require them to be on and if you have to odd switchgear it needs to be twisted one way for the front fogs and the other for the rear. Then reversed to turn them off.
Hi, yes headlights were on (just tried myself too) my car only has rear fog lights so only 1 way to twist...

Registered
Assuming its not a bulb(which is probably the obvious thing to check)...the rear fog relay is a PCB (circuit board) mount unit in the passenger compartment relay box (according to the manual).
Relays do fail so might be that, but unless you are electrically minded and fancy getting dirty under the bumper to change a bulb, an auto electrician might be the best bet.
A bulb or relay is not going to run you more than a few pounds.
A decent auto electrician should be able to diagnose in less than an hour. So maybe 拢60 depending where you are in the country.
Bearing in mind fog lights are probably used infrequently for the average motorist and bearing in mind they are low down in the bumper so get the worst of the road water thrown at them, its probably just a bulb blown (which can go at anytime on any car).
I actually failed an MOT as a headlamp bulb went on the way to a MOT test a few years back. Fortunately the garage had one in stock and it was easy access (not like some cars today that require a strip down to replace a bulb , which is madness!!) so they charged me for the bulb and 拢5 for fitting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming its not a bulb(which is probably the obvious thing to check)...the rear fog relay is a PCB (circuit board) mount unit in the passenger compartment relay box (according to the manual).
Relays do fail so might be that, but unless you are electrically minded and fancy getting dirty under the bumper to change a bulb, an auto electrician might be the best bet.
A decent auto electrician should be able to diagnose in less than an hour. So maybe 拢60 depending where you are in the country.
Bearing in mind fog lights are probably used infrequently for the average motorist and bearing in mind they are low down in the bumper so get the worst of the road water thrown at them, its probably just a bulb blown (which can go at anytime on any car).
I actually failed an MOT as a headlamp bulb went on the way to a MOT test a few years back. Fortunately the garage had one in stock and it was easy access (not like some cars today that require a strip down to replace a bulb , which is madness!!) so they charged me for the bulb and 拢5 for fitting.
Thank you, sounds more likely!! I've got it booked in tomorrow with an auto electrician so fingers crossed its what you have suggested!! Thank you 馃槉

Registered
I remember a few mots where something or other minor would have failed but the garage just sorted it and charged a nominal amount. I think they now call that a pre-check and it's marketed as some sort of unbelievable free offer.

Registered
Thank you, sounds more likely!! I've got it booked in tomorrow with an auto electrician so fingers crossed its what you have suggested!! Thank you 馃槉
Hi, I had the same problem, fortunately it is included in the warranty and my local Kia dealer fixed it. They told me it was a problem with the switch on the stalk, which they said they replaced.
I also asked them how much it would be to install front fogs, they quoted over 拢1500.00 so I declined!!

Registered
Hi, can anyone advise.

My MOT has just failed due to the rear fog light not working, and also the Rear fog 'tell-tale' (dash light) is not working either, The MOT garage checked the fuse and thats ok. They have advised to take the car to an auto electrician? has anyone else had this fault - i dont want a massive repair bill so hoping it is something simple??

Thanks
Hi, had this problem with MOT ; discovered if the 13>7 pin adaptor on the tow bar plug is fitted, the rear fogs don't work - remove it and they came on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts