Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before.
My drivers side rear wheel starts squeaking after about 5-7 miles of driving, and when I have finished the journey the drivers side rear wheel is very hot and smells of burning. This is only intermittent so maybe does it 3 out of the 7 days travelling a week. I have changed the caliper and it seemed to sort the issue out for a month or two but now its back again. Brakes show no obvious sign or wear, just a bit stumped as to what the issue may be and how to get this fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before.
My drivers side rear wheel starts squeaking after about 5-7 miles of driving, and when I have finished the journey the drivers side rear wheel is very hot and smells of burning. This is only intermittent so maybe does it 3 out of the 7 days travelling a week. I have changed the caliper and it seemed to sort the issue out for a month or two but now its back again. Brakes show no obvious sign or wear, just a bit stumped as to what the issue may be and how to get this fixed. Any help would be appreciated.
I would check to make sure you have no leak from your brake pipe which from where it was repaired and any joints and seals that might have been disturbed. That's what I would check first, just a drop of brake fluid will smoke a lot when disc is hot. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check to make sure you have no leak from your brake pipe which from where it was repaired and any joints and seals that might have been disturbed. That's what I would check first, just a drop of brake fluid will smoke a lot when disc is hot. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that there doesn’t seem to be any leakage anywhere...it’s really odd but really frustrating!

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
Could it be the handbrake is sticking on, rather than the caliper itself?

I don't know the anatomy of the Venga's brakes but I assume the handbrake operates the main brakes, not a secondary drum? I think nowadays OEM brake pads are so hard you might notice any wear and it takes only a little 'drag' to generate quite a bit of heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve had the braking mechanism checked and it seems fine... but I’ll get them rechecked just to be on the safe side... I’m hoping someone on here has had the same issue and they managed to solve it...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wheel bearing is a possibility. Though rare.
On mine there is a repeating beep if you try and drive with the handbrake on, there is also a warning light on the IP. Though it hardly provides any noticeable drag it obviously creates heat. Overheating could eventually cause the bearing lubricant to break down, followed by the bearing.
If the bearing goes, the wheel and disk (or drum) will be forced out of position slightly and thus rub against the pads (or shoes) at an angle and/or intermittently.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that I’ll get it checked out again, I’ve just taken it out now I drove it 5 miles parked up got out to check it couldn’t hear any squeaking at all and the hub was cold.. by the time I’d returned home about another 15 miles it has started squeaking as was getting hot on touching the hub.

·
Registered
645 Posts
On my usual Brake Supplier, looks like the Handbrake is operated via the Caliper and not a secondary Drum/Shoe setup like the Ceed.
Did you fit a new/refurb Caliper or a used one?
Might be worth trying the same Journey but avoid using the Handbrake to eliminate.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
on the rear brake caliper there is a little arm that the hand brake cable attaches to.
lie under the car and check that this arm is all the way in against the caliper.
If not then the handbrake cable itself may have too much friction and be holding the caliper partially engaged.
you should be able to reach the arm with a long screw driver or pry bar and push it back.

so next time you take a trip and notice the wheel is hot, push the arm back and drive some more to see if the issue is fixed. If the caliper no longer drags then you will need a new handbrake cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.