Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

We've recently purchased a 2010 Venga 2. We love it! We want to fit a sat nav, or at least a double din stereo that has apple/android car. Using a phone is a bit too fiddly and the usb on the car doesn't hold the charge of the phone whilst it's on maps constantly. So I have a few questions hopefully someone nice will be able to help with!

First off, are Kia's satnavs interchangeable? I've seen a few soretno and ceed sat nav on eBay that look identical in their build(at least from the outside) for the Venga.

Secondly, how hard is it to change the stereo? Bear in mind we're both complete car novices and have little to no knowledge in the field! Halfords charge a bomb to do it and you have to buy their bits and pieces too.

Lastly, I'm guessing the non brand double din ones on amazon(for example) aren't much cop given how cheap they can be? Looking at the atoto a6 and looks ok but we're so worried about damaging the car trying to fit it and fit something that's rubbish!!

I've tried looking through the forum for answers to these but to be honest it's a minefield and we don't really know what we're doing!

Appreciate your time guys and if I've posted wrong or broke some forum rules I'm really sorry!

M&C

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi. I have never been in the Venga just had a look at some images. Looks like it has a cd player above lots of perhaps radio controls. In the image it did not look double din it looked larger. So are you fairly sure that if you remove whats fitted double din cage would fit

Also if you want carplay probably lower end of non oem is £200 then you would have wiring costs on top if you have steering wheel controls

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome to the Forum M&C..

Regarding USB charge rate - it is 500mA (ie: the USB standard for 2010, it does also say in the owners manual). If you are plugging in a modern smart phone the phone detects and adapts for charge rates but almost certainly will use power faster than 500mA can put it back in. Have you tried a USB thingy plugged into the accessory socket (ie: cigar lighter) type of device. They are fairly cheap and normally deliver around 2 Amps which is a much more modern phone compatible charge rate

Regarding taking the radio /cd unit out - you first remove the centre console air vent trims (be very careful, preferably use a trim remover tool and start towards the bottom area where its wider) and the audio unit then just unscrews, and then pull out the plugs at the back. DIN equivalent wiring looms are available to convert from Kia to DIN. I believe you can also get steering wheel control looms as well. Picture I've added shows the trim removal required, although this is for the climate control unit (from a previous query) so you would remove the radio after taking off the trims:-

A certain well known auction site sells double din facia surrounds for Vengas at various prices for various kits depending what functions you want on the wiring. If you don't want it to look ugly, a facia surround is worth it as the facia is curved(yes, I know it looks straight but it isn't) and the surrounds should mate correctly when you put the vent covers back on.
Also these folks offer the bits for £77
No idea if they are any good btw, I just searched Google for Kia Venga Wiring loom

I have no idea about interchangeability of parts with other Kias for audio units. Sense says probably as its cheaper for manufacturers to have a shared parts bin, but when did sense ever come into car spares :)

Just a thought though about using a unit from another Kia. The Venga 2 of 2010 had the standard radio /cd unit?
The sat nav was an option on the 3 model (and the 4 model on gen 2's after 2015), iirc.
Whether the 2 would have the loom / aerial fitted for sat nav (it has an extra plug and sat nav antenna socket ) would be questionable, as folks could have just bought a 2 and then picked up a salvage sat nav and plugged it in.
I do have a workshop manual for this model (ie: Venga generation 1, 2009 - 2015) and if it helps I can add the audio unit pin outs for the radio /cd unit as a picture (although if you want to change it, its probably of no value to you). I'd suggest maybe checking what plugs you have behind the radio before buying a salvage part as adding Kia specific wiring afterwards will be nigh on impossible.

To be blunt (and don't take this the wrong way) you say you don't really know what you are doing?
I would therefore strongly recommend maybe visiting a car audio place if you have one locally. It is very easy on modern cars to confuse things by plugging bits in the wrong place. You clearly love the car and it would be shame to make it uneconomical to repair by an errant plug being plugged in the wrong socket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would agree with Vengaman and get some advice from a car audio installer. To retro fit the standard Venga 3 Sat Nav would require lots of additional wiring and hardware such as GPS antenna and a reverse camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys thank you so much for your replies. A lot of great information (y)

Great community you have here, very friendly. I'll keep in touch and let you know what we do!

·
Registered
86 Posts
the kia head unit is not very good use a double din head unit.you will need a set of plastic removal tools ebay?
I have posted a how-to here with photos.you will a harness wire your new head unit, if you look on youtube
there are lots of how to fit head units.use kia radio as a search.hope this helps

·
Registered
86 Posts
just buy a tomtom unit it has speed camera warnings and the latest maps kia map are always out of out of date and now cost £40.00 a year to update too old out of date maps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts