Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hi Paul
Well we've tried everything and the mechanics at Kia have looked at it as well. Every one seems to 'quietly' agree that the cars OK and we can't really expect much more mpg. It is used for just ordinary driving.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
As I have said before, there are too many factors regarding your driving style and conditions, to compare like with like. Paul gets 35 and I get 28, both with the same model, but we just drive differently.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The mpg of the 1.4 Venga is poor.
It is far below the Kia published figures.
Kia got done in USA for the mpg figures been optimistic so Kia certainly are aware. Not just the Venga either.
The mpg is a selling point of the Kia as they are bought by people who deal in economics and if the selling point is wrong then can claim mis-selling.

·
Registered
255 Posts
the basket said:
The mpg of the 1.4 Venga is poor.
It is far below the Kia published figures.
Kia got done in USA for the mpg figures been optimistic so Kia certainly are aware. Not just the Venga either.
The mpg is a selling point of the Kia as they are bought by people who deal in economics and if the selling point is wrong then can claim mis-selling.
The problem is that in Europe the only MPG figures manufacturers are allowed to quote are those from the official EU tests. This encourages the building of cars that perform well in the tests, but that produces figures which don't reflect real-world use

Unless there's a change in the law there's no basis for claiming that they're misrepresenting the vehicle capabilities.

If you want something done about it write to your MEP or sign the MPG Monitor petition.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Well said Ian. The mpg figures are always accompanied by an explanation that they are produced to a methodology, not real world figures, and are for comparison only. Some manufacturers may get closer, depending on more factors than can be listed here, but others do even worse than Kia's alleged discrepancies.To get a real idea of the wide variables of the tests, google the regulations that cover them.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
So how do Ford's quoted figures (UK supplied cars will have to supply them) compare with actual mpg? Strangely, the latest spec Mustang (no longer the muscle car of old) is quite economical.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
As Sport Wagon said, just go and look at the "Honest John" site, and you'llsee that one manufacturer is just as bad as another.

Sure the 1.4 Venga has a poor mpg, but a 30 minute scan through this forum would have told you this prior to purchase, that's what I did, and that's why I bought the crdi.

Mind you the other way of looking at things is who else is going to give you a 7 year warranty?. So Kia must be pretty damn sure the engine is going to last that time period.

Two members of our fishing club are AA mechanice, when asked what their main call outs were it was the same from both,"cars with no spare tyre, and small 1 litre turbo's".

So the Venga is a bit thirsty, but it seems to be very reliable, and comes with a 7 year warranty. I'd rather put a few extra quid in the tank than find myself sitting at the side of the road.

Ian

41 - 53 of 53 Posts