Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell us what mpg they get from there 1.4 Venga. Bought new in November last year and only getting 30 ish mpg. Reallydisappointed. Been back to dealer and they say have got to do 10,000 before we get anything like 50.1 stated!!! Contacted Kia UK and got the standard 'cut and paste' reply. Governmentfigures blah blah. Don't think they actually read my emailHeard a lot of good stuff about Kia before we bought but starting to wonder now!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The dealer is more or less correct if this is a Diesel they do take a lot longer to bed in than petrol. Reset trip and average mpg on fillups keep an eye on the mpg meter and see if it increases with mileage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Venga 1.4 diesel varies enormously anything over 2-3 miles and the mpg goes into the high 30's or 40's. However on very short stop start days especially very cold days it drops very low. Sometimes into the twenties. It definitely prefers to get warm and stay warm!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 1.4 diesel is averaging just over 50mpg between tankfuls with a mix of driving. It also did 50mpg on a trip from Somerset to Callander at about 75-80 mph with a three adults one large dog and all there luggage with only 1,000 miles on the clock at the start of the journey. It has now completed 13,000 miles. There is either somthing wrong with your car or maybe you need a pair of lighter boots. I calculate mpg by miles covered and fuel purchased not by using the trip computer.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Car manufacturer s official figures are taken from rolling road conditions and are optimistic to say the least compared to us drivingthe things along the road as economically as we can.
D.O.T officials oversee this excercise so it is all above board,its just that road surface/friction,wind speeds etc lower these figures a bit.

The figures for my 1.6crdi venga are roughly urban-50, combined-60, rural-70.

Pottering back and forth to work resetting the mpg comp at outside my house, then driving the 4 miles in a 40 zone,then the next 6 miles doing 55mph, then th last 6 miles up and down the gears along single track roads, my mpg meter shows between 52 and 67mpg. in fact on pulling in at work this morning my mpg meter reckons i averaged 64mpg over the 16mile journey.

But i believe it, as the fuel gauge also reflects the good mpg.

My previous 1.4 crdi venga was rubbish on fuel,much more thirsty than my old honda civic 1.7ctdi.Its mpg meter reset itself constantly even after being replaced and dropped a lot of the time to 24mpg and never getting above 48mpg on the same journeys as i am doing now.

James.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, sorry should have said its a 1.4 petrol. My wife does a bit of going to work for 3 days, ok couple of miles , then takes her mother shopping 20 miles duel carriage way then a bit round town then 20 miles, back duel carriage way. still only 30 ish.
Been going to see a mate in hospital last couple of weeks all duel carriage way there and back checking the mpg still only getting 30.1 at exactly 70 mph.
Does not seem right as I reckon we are doing mixed urban. We are both in our 50's so are not exactly tear arsing around the place by the way!
Still waiting for Parkside Kia to get back to us. Honestly, thought Kia might be a bit more customer friendly than the rest.
Anyway, would look forward to further comments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, fair comment but we have done exactly that. More or less since the car was new have filled up to the top and then taken mileage till next fill up. still the same about 30mpg. Honestly, not got a grudge with the car its a cracking little vehicle, just so dissapointed with the mpg. Not over happy with Kia's attitude so far either. Been there with Seat, Peugeot, Nissan Ford etc. etc we all no after they have sold you the car! but was hoping for a bit more from Kia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had this back from Kia :-" It is very unlikely you will achieve the figures stated in our literature as these were achieved in a laboratory environment, and doesn't reflect "real world" driving.
I dare say all manufactures can manipulate the figures but it cant be right can it? Is there any other industry that an get away with printing information that is obviously not true or at best a huge distortion of the truth!

·
Registered
643 Posts
all manufactuters are the same and cover themselves by having the D.O.T man with the clipboard there making sure everything is above board, i have never achieved manufacturers figures with normal driving on the road,they do it inside on a rolling road with no starting stopping,braking less rolling resistance and no wind.
My venga s figures say it can get 70mpg extra urban,well ive never seen 70,but have seen 67 briefly.
James.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, take your point but my whole issue is there is such a huge difference between the official figures and what we are actually obtaining. Just filled up again and checked mpg 33.7 Honestly, that's just ordinary driving, a mix of duel carriage way, urban and not particularly short trips. Oh, and not racing around by the way. Past all that!
Have not got an issue with Kia. Really like the venga and the 7 year warranty speaks for itself. Just wish we had gone for a diesel.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am beginning to wonder if I am the only one to add Cruise Control when new, that does make a large difference on long journeys of about 75mpg and that is with the venga engine glich. On short journeys managing about 45mpg, I hate to say it but driving styles make a huge change to MPG and also the types of road not everybody has motorways and therefore the mpg suffers.
Cruise Control might have cost an extra £500 but it is saving me a lot over the time I have the car it also makes my right leg a lot less sore and that alone makes it worth it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi Roddy, i notice the difference with using cruise control,but still getting used to the car doing things for itself and not a lot of chance to use it properly here apart from the 10 miles of double track road to work.
James.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my venga 1.4 ecodynamic in June 2011 and I've not had any major problems with it, maybe a little lag when in the high revs of first or second gear, this brings down my MPG quite a bit but ive just went over 9000 miles now and getting about 68 mpg in the motorways (doing about 60-70). When I first got the car, im sure it done around 60ish as well, but I may have been wrong. Hope you get the problem with low mpg sorted! :)
Allan - Kia Venga 1.4 Diesel Ecodynamic 2011

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thought I'd add my two peneth worth as I,ve just had my diesel replaced with a petrol 1.4 due to problems. Did a 120 mile round trip to bristol airport this morning from cardiff to drop my parents off steady 65-70mph & the car only returned 31mpg
best part of half a tank of fuel.I'm bloody appalled again
Looks like Kia have got the styling designs right but their engine designers must be bloody useless. Its disgraceful, I'm now looking at trading it in for my original choice of the polo at considerable financial loss.

John

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry to hear but not suprised really it's a heavy car and the 'Gamma' engine is not the best for economy,best engine for the Venga is the 1.6GDI.
The 'Advanced Kappa' I have in the new Rio 1.25 petrol which averages 43mpg is a great motor lightweight with lots of friction reducing parts and with 84bhp is no rocket but adequate and very smooth and i'm more than happy with it apart from the dash rattle (soon to be fixed).
Why not consider the Rio take a test drive you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hi John, if i had thought Kia s mpg was so erratic and so below the govt figures,i would have gone VW Bluemotion! and Stuff the 7 years warranty.
I am disappointed in my venga s mpg as around town driving nicely, my confusorama meter is reading 45mpg,but an a run its in the low to mid 60s.
My honda civic 1.7 ctdi did the exact same mileage for teh same size of tank and it never had any dpf/egr issues.
It just started,ran and was consistent.
HOnda next in 2 years me thinks!
James.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts