Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, New to the forum and just changed from an 08 Carens crdi gs to a 59 Soul tempest petrol (to which we've added a black offset racing stripe!).
As i can no longer carry my cycles in the back of the car, I've decided to fit a detachable towbar and cycle carrier.

Having checked out available towbars and 12N wiring, I have found fitting instructions for aftermarket dedicated wiring but was wondering if anyone had experience with the Kia 12N kit? The aftermarket kit plugs in mostly but requires a wire cutting and connectors crimping in the reversing lamp circuit and I'm not sure how this would affect the warranty? both are similar in price.

I've asked for fitted prices in a couple of local towbar fitters and they have both said a by-pass kit would do for a cycle carrier but I really don't fancy something scotch-locked in(even though it's £100 cheaper) if it means affecting the warranty.
Any advice would be helpful, Thanks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Kia quoted me £300 all in for a towbar and electrics for my proceed. Which I think is reasonable. The reason why it's best to have it done properly is if you go cutting wires is some cars will need reprogramming after. This is because of the ASP or ASC whatever you want to call it. I mean think of the difference In breaking when towing a caravan. If the car doesn't know it's towing so breaks to a set program which may make matters worse with a few hundred kilos being pushed from behind.

Was quoted £800 for my last car which was beyond a joke, but was given only £250 for an independent to fit and splice in the wires....problem was he wouldn't warranty the work and wouldn't accept liability if the car needed reprogramming...hence I left it. But if Kia are around £300 for the soul...i'ld pay the money and sleep easy at night knowing its the proper bit of kit and your warrantys still good. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Local kia garage quote full rrp for towbar and electrics so £460 plus 2 hrs fitting(£160).
Jones in Manchester quoted £410 fitted for witter detachable towbarand their dedicated plug in kit made by right connections, this was the one I was thinking of getting.
Still a dear do just to carry a couple of bikes!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wooow that's pricey! Can see why your looking to the cheaper option. I only wanted mine to tow my boat to the water 3 or 4 times in the summer. Worked out cheaper to buy a old banger with a rowboat already fitted when I had my old passat. I would try screw Kia down first from RRP. There's a hell of a mark up on stuff like that. To be honest though if you buy the Kia kit which is pretty much a plug in system, you could fit it yourself if your handy with a spanner. Where as the witter bar would obviously be fitted in the price and harder to fit. Edited by: RichieD76

1 - 4 of 4 Posts