Kia Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Hi

I noticed you have just picked up your new Tempest, how did have to wait from ordering to picking up car from dealer i've been waiting for months & months for mind?

i like MPG your getting from your Tempest hopefully you are correct i hear 2011 version is now in production and fuel has been improved.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bilko0011 said:
Hi
Full tank to full tank

287 miles

23.1 litres.

What do you make it then????
57mpg near as dammit. I hope it continues like that and it should even improve with age. Well done - maybe you can hit the magical 64mpg Kia quote next time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
soul2soul said:
oh, that's even more cool, was wondering if you can hear the turbo coming in, not that we have pushed it, it is only a baby.
You can hear the turbo working quietly, but its not as obvious as a lot of other turbo diesel, mind you it dosent pull as strong as lots of other turbo diesel either - so i reckon its quite a mild turbo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tempest said:
soul2soul said:
oh, that's even more cool, was wondering if you can hear the turbo coming in, not that we have pushed it, it is only a baby.
You can hear the turbo working quietly, but its not as obvious as a lot of other turbo diesel, mind you it dosent pull as strong as lots of other turbo diesel either - so i reckon its quite a mild turbo.

I thought I heard a little whistle on one occasion, compared to our old kangoo, we notice a vast difference in engine power, plus it is so quiet inside and far more refined.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
soul2soul said:
tempest said:
soul2soul said:

I thought I heard a little whistle on one occasion, compared to our old kangoo, we notice a vast difference in engine power, plus it is so quiet inside and far more refined.
I had the Doblo Turbo before this Soul and that would pull like a train any gear any speed and with more economy. The Soul feels quite weak in comparison even with 25% more power.....but a bit less torque i reckon. The Turbo whistle was a lot more obvious on the Doblo and it was a good noise. The Soul engine is very refined at start up (much quieter than a lot of Diesels) and pretty good thereafter.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bilko0011 said:
Hi
Full tank to full tank

287 miles

23.1 litres.

What do you make it then????
Dont know if you go on the USA forum too. But if you do - they have a whole thread devoted to Fuel economy. Some of the Americans wish a Diesel Soul was available over there and are interested in hearing about them and their economy.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think the Soul diesel is a lot more up to date in design as really the last thing you want with a turbo engine petrol or diesel is big glut of power all in one go, it is more smooth and progresive. My son has a Skoda Fabia VRS diesel and that came in with aall in one go when the turbo spooled in.He has had it Superchipped and is now around 191BHP but the big difference is the smoother power curve. I have had a couple of petrol turbo's in the days when they were a little cruder than today's and in the wet they could sometimes be a handful.
Going back to deliveries of the Soul Tempest,there must be a big increase in sales/orders now as when I bought mine I walked into the showroom one Saturdayat the end of Febuary and they had just had one deliveried .As I arrived they had just cleaned and polished it and were putting it into the show room.I bought it and picked it up the following week,the first week in March this year.

Some of you are now waiting a really long time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Dave

I phoned the Kia dealer this morning for an update. Ordered the Tempest on the 12th Aug and picking up 12th Nov. No sign of ityet but he said it should be here by next week so no known problem with KIA. Thinking of cancelling and going for a Skoda - there's undreds of Souls round here now - seen a "Shaker" today & a "Tempest" yesterday.....don't feel unique anymore lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dave R said:
I think the Soul diesel is a lot more up to date in design as really the last thing you want with a turbo engine petrol or diesel is big glut of power all in one go, it is more smooth and progresive. My son has a Skoda Fabia VRS diesel and that came in with aall in one go when the turbo spooled in.He has had it Superchipped and is now around 191BHP but the big difference is the smoother power curve. I have had a couple of petrol turbo's in the days when they were a little cruder than today's and in the wet they could sometimes be a handful.
Going back to deliveries of the Soul Tempest,there must be a big increase in sales/orders now as when I bought mine I walked into the showroom one Saturdayat the end of Febuary and they had just had one deliveried .As I arrived they had just cleaned and polished it and were putting it into the show room.I bought it and picked it up the following week,the first week in March this year.

Some of you are now waiting a really long time.

I was thinking how refined the engine was, smooth and progressive sums it up rather nicely. I am still digesting every word of the handbook, should you wait a second or two before turning the engine over, as you did with older diesels? to warm the glow plugs - or am I showing my age?

We know of one other that lives a few miles away, but that is the only one we have seen in months, so we are still on the special list for now. Nice to see people taking sneaky peeks at the car and its huge alloys.
as it passes them by.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi yes Colin is right there is a yellow "coiled spring" shape whichare the glowplugs,they only stay on for a few seconds then you can fire it up though it's best to wait for a short while for the turbo to get lubricated after starting before setting off and when you stop he engine leave it running on tickover for a minute.This is especially relevant when you stop after working the engine hard such as motorway work,it gives the turbo chance to cool down.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Taffy. to many Skoda's around,have you seen the Roomster that is a very aquired taste.Stick with the Soul you don't know what treat you have waiting.I have had that many cars in my time of all sorts and makes,I havenot added all the miles up that I have driven but it must be 7 figures by now and there is something about this Soul that just makes you smile inside.I have had cars twice the price that have not been as good as the Soul. My Tempest(or should I say my wife's Tempest) has 12k miles on it since March this year,had no problems at all apart from 4 or so very tiny stone chips on the leading edge of the bonnet. I expect stone chips with the miles we are doing and thought about getting a film on it but if it gets any worse I will just get it resprayed on the bonnet.My neighbour has a 3 series BMW not as old as mine with verylittle mileage with more stone chips and a big mark on the top where it stood with bird crap on it.He left it at the airport when he went on holiday and when he came backthe mark will not come off and BMW don't want to know.All in all the Kia Soul is a little gem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was only joking Dave - can't wait for the Tempest although the Yeti looks a nice car. I all honesty. I was after the C4 Airdream or C4 Picasso but supply & demand meant a hell of a wait - Citroen's loss. I think there's 5 Soul's max around town so still scarce.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dave R said:
Hi yes Colin is right there is a yellow "coiled spring" shape whichare the glowplugs,they only stay on for a few seconds then you can fire it up though it's best to wait for a short while for the turbo to get lubricated after starting before setting off and when you stop he engine leave it running on tickover for a minute.This is especially relevant when you stop after working the engine hard such as motorway work,it gives the turbo chance to cool down.

Thanks for that, will remind the OH to wait for a couple of seconds, in the furore of wanting to get driving.
I had read somewhere else, on a review, about letting the car run on a minute after a longer journey.
I don't drive, due to illness, so I have not had the chance to see all the lights on the dash. I will have to be having a nosey, but have been more than happy to be wafted along, trying to get the computer to understand me on the bluetooth................pardon..............pardon..........in the end, I just laugh and say cancel.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts