Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My car is the manual version so not entirely comparable. Very carefully driven it returned 40mpg from new. This has improved to 51 mpg at 11,000 miles. The mpg plummets on the motorway when i do 75mph or above. Wind noise can be heard but is not much of a problem, its tyre noise that is the issue for me. and this intrudes at 70mph upwards. On some motorway road surfaces it can drown out the radio totally. The 65mpg quoted in some figures is pure fallacy in such a blunt and heavy vehicle.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The Tempest is a very distinctive car and it does have character....in a relaxed but "look at me" way!. I have had quite a few issues with my particular car...and they are gradually getting sorted....but i still really like it and want to keep it for as long as i can. At the end of the day, its a roomy but not overly large vehicle, sensible sized engine, nice to drive, quite simple mechanically and should last a long time if carefully maintained.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Perhaps the biggest drawback is the rear visability for parking. The reversing camera helps a little bit in daylight.....but its mainly down to guess work and having a look round the back of the car before getting in it and reversing.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
The engine bay does get very dusty!!!....my previous car was pretty much sealed off with a full undertray etc.... so this came as a shock (yes i like a shiny engine bay too)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i was due to get a power washer for my up and coming birthday...... but declined. New seat covers instead. I think i have just been unlucky and the paint on my car is just extra brittle or thin.... hence no Karcher!!!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bilko0011 said:
Hi
I have just driven mine back from the dealers.Its a brand new Tempest auto deisel.It has averaged 57 mpg on its first 300 miles. Not bad for a tight, brand new engine hey???
57mpg!. Im not trying to spoil your fun with your new toy - but the usual figure is 40mpg at new and a gradual improvement as the car runs in.

If that figure is according to the new computer - i would suggest its a steady speed consumption figure, not an average.

Having said all that - i hope i am wrong in my assumptions and that they have done something to improve the economy on the diesel.... cos it does lag behind other similar sized diesels.

Enjoy the car and email us some pics.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bilko0011 said:
Hi
Full tank to full tank

287 miles

23.1 litres.

What do you make it then????
57mpg near as dammit. I hope it continues like that and it should even improve with age. Well done - maybe you can hit the magical 64mpg Kia quote next time.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
soul2soul said:
oh, that's even more cool, was wondering if you can hear the turbo coming in, not that we have pushed it, it is only a baby.
You can hear the turbo working quietly, but its not as obvious as a lot of other turbo diesel, mind you it dosent pull as strong as lots of other turbo diesel either - so i reckon its quite a mild turbo.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
soul2soul said:
tempest said:
soul2soul said:
oh, that's even more cool, was wondering if you can hear the turbo coming in, not that we have pushed it, it is only a baby.
You can hear the turbo working quietly, but its not as obvious as a lot of other turbo diesel, mind you it dosent pull as strong as lots of other turbo diesel either - so i reckon its quite a mild turbo.

I thought I heard a little whistle on one occasion, compared to our old kangoo, we notice a vast difference in engine power, plus it is so quiet inside and far more refined.
I had the Doblo Turbo before this Soul and that would pull like a train any gear any speed and with more economy. The Soul feels quite weak in comparison even with 25% more power.....but a bit less torque i reckon. The Turbo whistle was a lot more obvious on the Doblo and it was a good noise. The Soul engine is very refined at start up (much quieter than a lot of Diesels) and pretty good thereafter.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bilko0011 said:
Hi
Full tank to full tank

287 miles

23.1 litres.

What do you make it then????
Dont know if you go on the USA forum too. But if you do - they have a whole thread devoted to Fuel economy. Some of the Americans wish a Diesel Soul was available over there and are interested in hearing about them and their economy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Most people dont realise the Tempest is a diesel. the only time it is noticeable is on initial pickup in response to the accelerator....just a slight gruffness.....then it goes quiet and smooth. Mind you, this isnt as noticeable since the first service - despite them saying they didnt do anything to it. One of the new owners is claiming much improved mpg - which is what a diesel car this engine size should give but dosent seem to, to most of us. So anybody know what tweaks kia have done to the engine??? ..... and if they have messed with something - can we all get it done???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts