Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just picked up my stonic 2018/9 UK a few days ago and so far all has been well. Today however, the centre touchscreen/sat nav only displayed the digital clock and nothing else, no other buttons such as media, radio, power button worked at all, i just wondered if anybody else has had this problem and what was the solution?
I tried the following but all to no evail:

Turning the car off and then back on again.
Pressing the reset button.

Taking out the SD card and then re-inserting it again.

Long pressing the power button.

Even drove back to the salesman at Kia in Eastcote but he'd never seen the problem before (or so he claimed)

Interestingly though it seems that the unit is still doing things like automatically connecting to my phone AND if someone rings me whilst connected to the car, i can still access some of the menus as per usual during a call so the touchscreen is definately working. Its as if it goes into some sort of child lock mode or something.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Screen saver? What happens if you press the map button or turn the radio on.?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screen saver? What happens if you press the map button or turn the radio on.?
They dont respond at all, pretty much nothing does when the clock and date are there now, as soon as i turn the car on.
None of the side buttons or touchscreen works or does anything.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
None of the side buttons or touchscreen works or does anything.
Hi ’Neil1979’ and welcome to the forum.

As you only recently acquired the car, don’t mess about with it. You need to return to the seller, presuming it is a business rather than a private individual, and tell them to fix it. Bear in mind that the law is on your side and you may resort to rejecting the vehicle if they don’t play ball and sort the issue in a reasonably short period of time.

There are a couple of other things you could try which may or may not cure the problem but why should you? The car should be like new and everything should work, the responsibility for that resting with the seller. Although it isn’t relevant in this particular scenario, I hope, for future reference, that you have scrutinised the service history and that it has not varied in any way from the schedule laid down in the handbook that accompanied the car from the factory.

Any non-compliance provides KIA with an excuse to reject any claim for warranty work that they can wriggle out of by pointing to an incomplete or spurious service history. The company are as good as their word in respect of cases where the service history has been within the dealer network, performed within the mileage and time parameters.

Good luck with getting a speedy resolution to your problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ’Neil1979’ and welcome to the forum.

As you only recently acquired the car, don’t mess about with it. You need to return to the seller, presuming it is a business rather than a private individual, and tell them to fix it. Bear in mind that the law is on your side and you may resort to rejecting the vehicle if they don’t play ball and sort the issue in a reasonably short period of time.

There are a couple of other things you could try which may or may not cure the problem but why should you? The car should be like new and everything should work, the responsibility for that resting with the seller. Although it isn’t relevant in this particular scenario, I hope, for future reference, that you have scrutinised the service history and that it has not varied in any way from the schedule laid down in the handbook that accompanied the car from the factory.

Any non-compliance provides KIA with an excuse to reject any claim for warranty work that they can wriggle out of by pointing to an incomplete or spurious service history. The company are as good as their word in respect of cases where the service history has been within the dealer network, performed within the mileage and time parameters.

Good luck with getting a speedy resolution to your problem.
Many thanks for the reply, i have left it with the salesman to get me booked in hopefully monday (tomorrow). It did cross my mind if its possibly a software issue as its been working absolutely fine however, the 1 time i actually needed the sat nav i connected my Android phone (samsung S9) to it via Bluetooth (android auto) for live traffic etc. It was working perfectly fine all the way there. Then when i got back into the car to come home all i've been left with since is the above mentioned digital clock and date with none of the bottons or touvhscreen working.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you wanted to give it a go before taking the car back to the dealer you could disconnect the power supply, remove one terminal from the battery, reconnect and let the unit boot up and reconfigure. Could be just a frozen screen that will clear once the unit has reconfigured itself. I'm sure most of us have had a similar issue with a computer when it freezes, a reboot usually clear the issue.

·
Super Moderator
3,537 Posts
There is a reset button just above the volume control. Needs something like a small punch/screw driver to push in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts