Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - hope everyone is well.
Any Stinger owners here, particularly in orange?
Just wanted to ask few questions.
Are your side skirts in a different shade to the rest of the body? Also does your car have these clear stickers just before back wheel arches to protect from stone chips?
I recently collected my new Stinger, it's a brand new car but seems to have some quality issues.
The passenger door card is loose , has missing bolts. There is a loud metallic rattle when driven over bumps. The paint seems to be mismatched, the left side skirt is particularly bad. I love this car to bits but this one looks to me like it may have had some work done to it.
Big thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Stinger GTS in Panthera Metal with Red Leather
97 Posts
Sorry, I cannot comment on the orange colour matches but all stingers come with clear paint protection on the rear of the back doors and on the rear quarter panel. As rear wheel drive does stop a lot of paint issues from being pebble dashed.

Door cards should not be loose and factory fit quality is pretty good. As you, sounds like it has been worked on and not very well. If you bought it from a dealer, I would show them if not the door cards so come off OK but may have a broken clip or similar and can be bought off ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I cannot comment on the orange colour matches but all stingers come with clear paint protection on the rear of the back doors and on the rear quarter panel. As rear wheel drive does stop a lot of paint issues from being pebble dashed.
Thanks so much for this. That's what I thought. My car has no stickers on the side where I suspect some work has been done. On the drivers side, the dealer took a great effort of removing them and made a huge mess out of this.

·
Registered
2017 Stinger GTS in Panthera Metal with Red Leather
97 Posts
That does not sound good, however I bought a full 3rd party set of them from Ebay and were perfect. Much cheaper and quicker to get than main dealer. I bought my car after some body work so knew they needed replacing. Easy to fit.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Don't like the look of that paintwork! Hope it gets sorted.

About the noise over bumps, have you checked under the boot floor at the battery assembly? Perhaps the brace is loose. I was going to say it might be the tailgate issue which a lot of cars had, but I think that was fixed in the later cars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks so much for this. That's what I thought. My car has no stickers on the side where I suspect some work has been done. On the drivers side, the dealer took a great effort of removing them and made a huge mess out of this. View attachment 10732
That dealer must be an absolute idiot to try and remove them. Surely they know that they are there to protect the paint and as you can see from the mess, they are an absolute pig to remove because they aren't meant to be.

They should definitely rectify that at their own cost even if it has to be a whole new sill.

Is the metallic rattle from the door card too? Could be the missing bolt rattling around inside the door possibly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm fairly confident at this point the car was damaged and quickly fixed up. So disappointed - it's such an awesome car otherwise. I told the dealer I'm going to reject it - he threatens me with court action now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Looking at those photos there is no questions that something has happened or panels replaced. Something has definitely happened to that passenger side. A previous test drive or worker who lost control possiby? Cannot believe it would have come out of the factory like that. Any signs of damage or repairs to the alloys/tyres on the passenger side?

How long ago did you buy it? Fairly certain you can reject it within 30 days. Your rights when buying a used car

Threatening court action seems an incredidly swift and unhelpful response on their part. I would want to point blank reject it and make it their problem on princple from that alone. Normally if there are any issues a dealer would bend over backwards to help you get it sorted, even if it is at their own cost. Just make sure you have everything fully backed up and create a papertrail through emails rather than phone calls if possible.

There is also a Kia Stinger owners group UK on Facebook with lots of nice people who reply pretty quickly if you want more of a perspective or find out how anybody else has dealt with this situation. There are a couple of people on there who have rejected cars in the past after purchase. Facebook Groups

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at those photos there is no questions that something has happened or panels replaced. Something has definitely happened to that passenger side. A previous test drive or worker who lost control possiby? Cannot believe it would have come out of the factory like that. Any signs of damage or repairs to the alloys/tyres on the passenger side?

How long ago did you buy it? Fairly certain you can reject it within 30 days. Your rights when buying a used car

Threatening court action seems an incredidly swift and unhelpful response on their part. I would want to point blank reject it and make it their problem on princple from that alone. Normally if there are any issues a dealer would bend over backwards to help you get it sorted, even if it is at their own cost. Just make sure you have everything fully backed up and create a papertrail through emails rather than phone calls if possible.

There is also a Kia Stinger owners group UK on Facebook with lots of nice people who reply pretty quickly if you want more of a perspective or find out how anybody else has dealt with this situation. There are a couple of people on there who have rejected cars in the past after purchase. Facebook Groups
Thanks so much!
I've collected the car on 29th May - wheels are in perfect condition and still had pre-PDI stickers on them. Will definitely ask for help on the Facebook group. KIA customer support just told me I will have to resolve this issue with dealer directly, so no help there.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't understand why the dealer is making a fuss about this? Seems clear something is up with the car. Odd.

Years ago I bought a Punto HGT from 'Trade Sales'. Once I got it home it was clear that the bonnet had been resprayed (the car had delivery mileage but I was the second owner). Trade sales paid for a body shop to re-spray it. They didn't quibble, and that was with on cheap ish hatchback.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm fairly confident at this point the car was damaged and quickly fixed up. So disappointed - it's such an awesome car otherwise. I told the dealer I'm going to reject it - he threatens me with court action now.
Hi Floyd,
This doesn't even make sense. You own the car, if the dealer won't accept it back you take legal action against them, not vice-versa!
Perhaps your best bet is a call to local trading standards office and they will be able to give proper guidance on the next steps to take. As Banzibarn says it seems very odd that the dealer will not try to sort out.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon - Stinger's are fantastic cars to own.

·
Registered
379 Posts
If this is a brand new car & purchased direct from a Kia dealer. I would reject it immediately.:mad:

From your photos its had some serious damage to the nearside, compounded by very poor repairs.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Cannot believe they would not replace the paint protection stickers gives it away :mad: definitely had work on it put it in writing your rejecting the car, put a post on the kia facebook page watch them jump (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got myself to blame too - should have had a closer look. Instead, I was like a child in a sweet shop.
Anyways, hopefully there will be happy ending - Kia finance got involved and are going to push for replacement or rejection. Hopefully will know more very soon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've got myself to blame too - should have had a closer look. Instead, I was like a child in a sweet shop.
Anyways, hopefully there will be happy ending - Kia finance got involved and are going to push for replacement or rejection. Hopefully will know more very soon.
Every car I ahve bought I have then noticed things afterwards that I should have used to get corrected or had money knocked off but I get too excited every time and go with my heart. Never had anything serious like this but it is very easily done. Hopefully it will get resolved soon now Kia finance are also looking into it.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Cannot believe they would not replace the paint protection stickers
I had a car resprayed recently in the area where those anti stone chip stickers are and the paint shop told me it was essential to wait 30 days before adhering new stickers.
...perhaps application of new stickers was attempted too soon after the respray. which is why they have been removed again.

...looks like you have a paint chip on the door hinge too, a sign of tools being in the area.
Door hinge securing bolt heads look untouched?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.