Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there just started looking for a sportage used to own a sorento but don't need such a big car but I need to tow a caravan weighing 1500kgs so I thought 2ltr for the extra power but does anyone out there tow with a 1.6 diesel as they can tow 1600kgs

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not sure if this helps it talks about 1.7, I am not a caravan person.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Are you thinking of the 1.6 T petrol? This is the most powerful engine but of course it lack the torque.

You might try asking in the Camping and Caravanning section

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
I think you also need to look carefully at the weights. Yes the Sportage is rated at 1600kg towing weight, but you probably would not want to be anywhere near that for a safe and stable tow. Your caravan is 1500kg, assuming you are looking at the 1.6 diesels the kerb weights for the 2WD and the AWD are 1627kg and 1698kg respectively (the 2.0 has 1723/1747kg). The towing ratios with your caravan would be 2WD = 92%, the AWD = 88%. The recommended ratio is 85%, so you need to think how comfortable you would be at those weights.
I've not towed with the 1.6 litre, I stuck with the 2.0 litre, but would suggest it will be a bit sluggish and you may need to work the gearbox on hills.
For the record, our caravan is a 2 berth, with a maximum weight of 1350kg, which on my car (1723kg) gives me a 78% ratio. For me that gives comfortable tow, and I can comfortably hold the 60mph limit on motorways, without a lot og gearbox stirring. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you also need to look carefully at the weights. Yes the Sportage is rated at 1600kg towing weight, but you probably would not want to be anywhere near that for a safe and stable tow. Your caravan is 1500kg, assuming you are looking at the 1.6 diesels the kerb weights for the 2WD and the AWD are 1627kg and 1698kg respectively (the 2.0 has 1723/1747kg). The towing ratios with your caravan would be 2WD = 92%, the AWD = 88%. The recommended ratio is 85%, so you need to think how comfortable you would be at those weights.
I've not towed with the 1.6 litre, I stuck with the 2.0 litre, but would suggest it will be a bit sluggish and you may need to work the gearbox on hills.
For the record, our caravan is a 2 berth, with a maximum weight of 1350kg, which on my car (1723kg) gives me a 78% ratio. For me that gives comfortable tow, and I can comfortably hold the 60mph limit on motorways, without a lot og gearbox stirring. :)
Thanks for your info I was looking for the 2ltr diesel awd which would be fine for towing but they have now stopped making them so there seems more 1.6 out there

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks for your info I was looking for the 2ltr diesel awd which would be fine for towing but they have now stopped making them so there seems more 1.6 out there
They dropped the 2.0 litre from the range mid way through 2020. We had been tipped off that they may be dropping the 2.0 litre from the range, which is why we changed last March. We did consider the 1.6 diesel AWD, but as it was an unknown quantity to us and the dealer didn't have one for a test drive, we stuck to the 2.0 litre. Don't regret our decision and as big diesels will be harder to find, we will probably keep hold of it for a while.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the 1.6 AWD Mild Hybrid and I'm totally happy with it, but I don't tow anything larger than a trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the 1.6 AWD Mild Hybrid and I'm totally happy with it, but I don't tow anything larger than a trailer.

Thanks for your info I,m hoping to find a 2ltr then I know it will be on top of the job but there's not many about especially when my good lady wants it in blue

·
Registered
286 Posts
Next problem I have is we want a blue 2ltr but the gt line s awd now you see we,ve narrowed it down its finding the right car
Autotrader have an excellent app, with local or nationwide searches on a level of trim. Not sure if you can specify colour, but a lot of the effort is taken out of it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Autotrader have an excellent app, with local or nationwide searches on a level of trim. Not sure if you can specify colour, but a lot of the effort is taken out of it

Thanks yes been looking on autotrader and kias website I will find 1

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think "The tail wagging the dog" is the phrase.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks yes been looking on autotrader and kias website I will find 1
Paul, good luck with your search, I sincerely hope you find one.

PS my missus also picked our car colour.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice colour mr.macspot, I have the1.6 T GDI GT Line S version and it is a beautiful drive not one complaint.
Have to agree on the colour. I'm getting an 16. T-GDI GT-Line Auto next week in that colour, I was really trying to avoid grey, so it was blue or red.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Have to agree on the colour. I'm getting an 16. T-GDI GT-Line Auto next week in that coilour, I was really trying to avoid grey, so it was blue oir red.
We liked the Lunar Silver, but as soon as we saw the Blue Flame we just knew it was the right colour for us. I do like that it looks good even when it's a bit mucky. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
90 Posts
Blue is ace. I've had my Sportage T-gdi 4 for 6 months now.
Can't wait for the car washes to re-open.....
It's good having a fun car again after the more 'steady' Santa Fés.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a similar problem last year finding GT LIne S in both 1.6 and 2.0 litre to test drive around Oxfordshire, ended up at a Kia dealer in Chesterfield who had both cars and an excellent stock. We chose the 2.0 and have been very pleased with it. Looked at the Silver, Blue and the dark Grey which was the final choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts