Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obtained a PCP leased Kia Sportage in Nov 2020.
Had about 36,000 miles on the clock.
In December, I nearly lost my wife, (who's a nurse, who was caring for Covid-19patients), to Covid-19 pneumonia, and she was in intensive care fighting for her life.
In January, I experienced a 'judder' with the vehicle, when pulling away from a stationary position, or a hill start.

Finance company initiated an inspection. Engineer thought there was an inherited steering problem.
Took car to Kia dealership and they told me they did some 'recalls' and had applied lubricant?
Same judder returned in April.
Went back to Kia, who said it could be a transmission and/or clutch problem, and that they wanted the car in for a week!
Finance company initiated a further (same) engineer, who now concludes there is a transmission fault.
Same engineer believes the fault has happened on our watch, and that it's probably down to wear and tear?!!
The finance company have not upheld our complaint, because of the 2nd report by the engineer, who says the fault "wasn't present at finance inception"?

We have only done approx 3000 miles, and the vehicle only has a current mileage of 39,000 miles, WELL below the 100,000 warranty within the 7 year warranty period.

When we first acquired the vehicle, I checked online, and discovered that the vehicle had failed it's MOT due to a "seriously leaking" shock absorber.
To be honest, we have serious misgivings about the calibre/state of the vehicle we acquired.
We also have thoughts that the vehicle engineer, missed the transmission fault, on his first visit.

We cannot believe that a vehicle with only 39,000 miles can have a transmission problem like this, and if it has, it must be down to a manufacturer's fault!

I activated 'Drive Mode, yesterday, and put the vehicle in Sports mode, I didn't experience the judder.

The worry of this, supposedly dream car, being faulty, and the prospect of having to pay out a lot of money, is compounding our health and financial situation.
My wife had Covid-19 pneumonia, and myself and our daughter, also contracted Covid-19.
My wife is now recovering from 'long Covid', and we have no idea, when she will be well enough to return to work.
We are in a desperate situation.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Obtained a PCP leased Kia Sportage in Nov 2020.
Had about 36,000 miles on the clock.
In December, I nearly lost my wife, (who's a nurse, who was caring for Covid-19patients), to Covid-19 pneumonia, and she was in intensive care fighting for her life.
In January, I experienced a 'judder' with the vehicle, when pulling away from a stationary position, or a hill start.

Finance company initiated an inspection. Engineer thought there was an inherited steering problem.
Took car to Kia dealership and they told me they did some 'recalls' and had applied lubricant?
Same judder returned in April.
Went back to Kia, who said it could be a transmission and/or clutch problem, and that they wanted the car in for a week!
Finance company initiated a further (same) engineer, who now concludes there is a transmission fault.
Same engineer believes the fault has happened on our watch, and that it's probably down to wear and tear?!!
The finance company have not upheld our complaint, because of the 2nd report by the engineer, who says the fault "wasn't present at finance inception"?

We have only done approx 3000 miles, and the vehicle only has a current mileage of 39,000 miles, WELL below the 100,000 warranty within the 7 year warranty period.

When we first acquired the vehicle, I checked online, and discovered that the vehicle had failed it's MOT due to a "seriously leaking" shock absorber.
To be honest, we have serious misgivings about the calibre/state of the vehicle we acquired.
We also have thoughts that the vehicle engineer, missed the transmission fault, on his first visit.

We cannot believe that a vehicle with only 39,000 miles can have a transmission problem like this, and if it has, it must be down to a manufacturer's fault!

I activated 'Drive Mode, yesterday, and put the vehicle in Sports mode, I didn't experience the judder.

The worry of this, supposedly dream car, being faulty, and the prospect of having to pay out a lot of money, is compounding our health and financial situation.
My wife had Covid-19 pneumonia, and myself and our daughter, also contracted Covid-19.
My wife is now recovering from 'long Covid', and we have no idea, when she will be well enough to return to work.
We are in a desperate situation.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hi (and welcome),

The ‘notchy’ steering is a common problem, cured by dealers putting the correct grease into the steering rack. That should have cured the problem? There are numerous posts about this on the forum if you search using the terms ‘notchy’ and ‘steering’.

Re the gearbox, do I take it that it is a Dual Clutch Technology ‘DCT’ automatic? What engine does the vehicle have?

Have you tried driving it in ‘manual’ mode to see if the problem persists (by selecting first gear when coming to a stop, ready to re-start) or initally starting off? I have found the sometimes when coming to a stop, the dual clutch system is still showing ‘2’ on the dash and the second clutch is waiting for third gear. So I have had to select first gear manually. This is apparently a ‘feature’ of the DCT gearbox. It is not as smooth as a conventional 'fluid flywheel' automatic. It also seems to be worse in cold weather!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your DCT box seems quite 'normal', well normal compared to mine. My box also suffers judder when cold if pulling off under load i.e. up a hill. Likewise placing it in Sport mode results in little or no judder. It's also fine when warm. It's been checked out a couple of times and has had a clean bill of health. Reading other threads on the subject , also the manual boxes, it seems that the friction material used by KIA clutches is prone to this issue. I shouldn't worry, I doubt the gearbox is going to fall apart anytime soon.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Do you have a diesel? The clutch judder is a well documented issue on the diesel engines - most people seem to have to just live with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi (and welcome),

The ‘notchy’ steering is a common problem, cured by dealers putting the correct grease into the steering rack. That should have cured the problem? There are numerous posts about this on the forum if you search using the terms ‘notchy’ and ‘steering’.

Re the gearbox, do I take it that it is a Dual Clutch Technology ‘DCT’ automatic? What engine does the vehicle have?

Have you tried driving it in ‘manual’ mode to see if the problem persists (by selecting first gear when coming to a stop, ready to re-start) or initally starting off? I have found the sometimes when coming to a stop, the dual clutch system is still showing ‘2’ on the dash and the second clutch is waiting for third gear. So I have had to select first gear manually. This is apparently a ‘feature’ of the DCT gearbox. It is not as smooth as a conventional 'fluid flywheel' automatic. It also seems to be worse in cold weather!
Thanks very much for your welcome, and for your reply.
Much appreciated.
I believe from what you're saying and what the Kia dealership said, my Kia Sportage has DCT.

The engine size is 1685, and is a 67 Reg.
Interesting to hear about the notchy steering problem.

I haven't tried the vehicle in 'manual mode.
Believe I do that by moving the gearstick to the right whilst in the D (Drive) position?

The 'judder' is particularly bad in cold weather, as you have said.

By selecting Drive Mode and 'Sport' the judder I experience when not in Sport Mode, is virtually non existent.
I know using Sport mode increases your fuel consumption.

I like the Kia Sportage when it's on the road, but this colourful gearbox issue, is concerning.

The local Kia dealership have my car booked in next week, for the whole week?
They say they want to investigate the issue and confirm with their technical guys what the issue is, but do I go for this Sport mode workaround?
Sure the investigation by Kia will be chargeable to me, if they say the gearbox isn't faulty?!!
Take care

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Alas never really seen a solution to it - it's partly why I recommend the 1.6 petrol - seems to be the only sportage engine which is devoid of any particular issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.