Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have just bought a 2007 Kia Sportage, a vehicle many people use as a caravan tow car. My husband had fitted the tow bar himself and was confident enough to do the electrics but the last bit is fitting the extra wire from tow hook to the car battery to run the caravan fridge during a journey. This has proved very frustrating and two days on (and getting more irate) he cannot get a wire through. When we towed a caravan with an Astra we didn't have this problem as the wiring was already in place. Surely, the Kia would have the same. Help please and save my marriage!!!
PS. apart from this we love the Kia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there, did you get any further on withcable routing issue?? I too have recently boughta sportage and will be fitting the towbar myself (when i find one for the right price) Did you come across any other fitment issues at all?? Many thanks in advance, "Super"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased a Witter detachable flange towbar from P.F Jones in Manchester. I did have a problem with lining up one of the chassis fixings but this was a fault of the car rather than the tow bar. I also purchased a dedicated wiring kit from P F Jones and the wiring for all the lights etc was very straight forward. However, to get a 12v constant and fridge feed from the battery to the rear was my biggest problem. I ran it along the inside of the sills after removing the trim. The problem was getting from under the bonnet into the car. I removed the nearside front wheelarch protector and brought the cable through existing holes and into the car via a removable grommet from the end of the front sill.I did fit a 13 pin socket. I can add the service fromP F Jones was excellent and the price very competative.Hope this helps! Any more queries contact me.
Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Chris andthanks for the advice, sounds like that'll save me a bit of head scratchin' when the time comes. What sort of time framewould you sayfor the fit including running the auxilary cable?? Thaks again, "Super"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am going to answer your question in two parts:

The fitting of the Witter towbar. Had I not had problems with one of theKia fixings I estimate for just fitting the towbar to be about 2 hours. To elaborate the problem with the Kia chassis fixing, I had to enlarge the access hole to one of the chassis tapped bushes. I hope you don't have the same problem.

The fitting of the dedicated cable harness. The hardest part of this job was removing the under wing wheel arch protector. This was a real fiddle to take out and put back. If you exclude the time taken to remove that it could be done in 3-4 hours. I took a lot of time working how to get from under the bonnet into the car. I am an engineer and an experienced classic car restorer!

Get back to me again if you have any more queries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I am new to this forum thing. I am about to tear my hair out , what route do you follow from the tow ball with the electric cable to get it into the n/side light cluster?
I have got it through in one way, but the cable is getting close to the exhaust and I have a feeling there must be a better route.
Do you have to remove the bumper?
Should I have done the electrics before I fitted the actual tow bar?
Sportage 07.
Thanks in anticipation......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firstly you do not have to remove the bumper. I fitted my towbar first and electrics after without any major problems. I understand your concern about the cable being close to the exhaust pipe as I encountered the same thing. I managed to run the cable above the brackets holding the rear bumper. This kept the cable tucked right up well out of the way of either exhaust outlets. However, it was a bit of a fiddle to feed it along but patience and help from my wife was rewarded in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you, it's good to know I'm not going mad.
There were some blanking grommets, but when I removed them and had a poke about they didn't seem to get me anywhere near the back of the lights.They don't make it easy eh?
The next thing is the permenent 12v feed from the battery, I am going to use the cig lighter socket in the boot on the n/side which is surplus to requirements.
I will take your advice and route the cable a bit higher up round the bumper brackets.
Don't have a husband to help me, so there will just have to be lots more swearing and wishing my arms were 2 foot longer!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding the 12V feed from the battery. Have you got a dedicated vehicle cable harnes? If so, this should include a relay that supplies 12Vsto charge theleisure battery and run the fridge when the engine is running? There should also be a permanent 12V supply for the caravan interior light. Two questions, is the cigarette lighter only powered with the engine running? and will the fuse rating for the lighter circuit be sufficient for the load? Any queries get back to be by this evening because we are going on a cruise tomorrow?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi there, Chris (lindapalmara). Firstly hope you enjoyed the cruise!!!

O.K. then, i've got myself a towbar sorted which comes with a dedicated wiring kit (unfortunately no fitting instructions
) Before i get delved in i just want confirmation of a couple of things really.
Firstly, is the constant feed from the batteryrun down the nearside (passenger side) inner sill as the battery is situated on this side under the bonnet??

And also,which rear cluster does the towbar wiring get 'plugged' into as it looks like i've got to remove the plastic boot liner to gain access.

Many thanks in advance for the answer to my questions, 'Super'
Edited by: supersportage

·
Registered
662 Posts
DO NOT USE THE SUPPLY TO THE BOOT LIGHT FOR YOUR CHARGING SUPPLY

we saw a car last week that had done this and it melted the loom you must run an earth and live cable to the battery terminals and it must be fused if you not 100% sure get some one who is to fit it you can run the cable under the car if your not sure about trim removal just make sure its secure and do not cable tie it to brake or fuel lines!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the warning about using the cigar lighter but I am not towing a caravan so I won't be charging leisure batteries or running fridges etc, it's only a small trailer, in fact I don't really know why I have to have a 12v permenant feed from the car battery but that's what the intructions say!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The 12v battery feed is only for the auxiliary socket so you dont need to fit it if you only tow a trailer.I tow a caravan but I only fitted the main lighting socket as I dont bother powering the fridge etc. in transit. A leasure battery is big enough to run for most journeys withouth being charged anyhow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi just back from the cruise so have just seen your mail. Yes the battery feed is run along the passenger side of the car. I actually only ran the cable in to the sill from under the front wing to get inside the car and then brought it out to run with the other existing cables to the boot area between the sill and the carpet. The new harness plugs into bothrear light connectors by removing the rear light lenses/assembly. (screws on outside ofwing) Acessis via grommet holeunder car. Any more help please contact me
Regards
Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts